Adda Da Hangout!

Discussion in 'Community Chit-Chat' started by justanothergirl, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Question about making lemon/mango pickles and that time of the month. Growing up, we didn't practice the "do not touch anybody" but were forbidden from touching the jar in which mango or lemons were marinating. Were not allowed to be around even when the 100-200 mangoes were being cut. I think it was fine to touch the fully done pickle.

Does anyone have anecdotal evidence of not following the practice and lemons/mango being fine? Not looking for a debate... just wondering if it is fine to not practice it. Don't want to end up with a whole batch of lemons spoilt.

2. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Lol! After experiencing the 24/7 chauffeur, maid, cook, nanny treatment for a month, I'm asking myself the same question every time I load the dishwasher -- Main yahan kya kar rahi hoon... Seriously, India this time was a revelation.

justanothergirl and Laks09 like this.
  3. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Had similar practice growing up. I don't follow it now and I do pickle lemons and mangoes . Unfortunately during that time of the month I can barely get myself to work .Pickling or even cooking is pretty much impossible because of debilitating cramps. On a similar note...amma would not also water certain herbs and plants during 'that' time. Curry leaves and Tulsi - saying they wont live if we do . I used to here and after the nth curry leaf and basil plants (local not tulsi) died I handed over the chore to DH. Year later I still have fresh basil in my kitchen. Planning to get curry-leaf plant soon.

Rihana, Shanvy and Laks09 like this.
  4. justanothergirl

After a recent trip to a city in the East Coast where the pace of life is much much slower than whatI am used to here..I am wondering the same thing. What am I doing here?

kkrish, Gauri03 and Laks09 like this.
  5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

JAG,

If you like to see people who have their dinner at 4 p.m. during happy hours and go back home before the Sunset, please come to Florida. Having lived in Florida for the past 23 years, I tell my wife, when you need to drive me for haircut, it is time for me to move back to India. You can see many 80 year old woman driving their husband for a haircut.

Viswa

startinganew, kkrish, Gauri03 and 2 others like this.
  6. justanothergirl

Florida....Ah @Viswamitra u tempt this old soul too much! Warm beaches and slower tempo of life...what more do we need?

kkrish, Laks09 and Viswamitra like this.
  7. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Looks like IIT Banaras issued a clarification they are not offering the course. The startup offering it has some other support from the IIT.

Apparently the starter of the course was asked why not a similar course for men, and he parried the question. I would have asked how about having the prospective MIL and DIL pair attend it together, and only if both pass, the alliance goes ahead. : ) They being graded as a pair and individual marks never made public. : )

8. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

If you use unsalted butter, you may use the residue as a sweet - mix some sugar, wheat flour, and roast for a couple of minutes and just eat it. This is what my mother would do in India when I was a child.

If you use salted butter, you can use it when making sambhar, or rasam - see that you do not add too much salt as this residue is very salty.
    I have also knead paratha dough using this residue. Salt is the one I will be a bit careful when using this residue.

Mmm.. do not worry about what others think of you. Can you control others' thoughts? What is not in your control, do not worry about it.
    Let us say people think you are stingy - what will happen? Is it the end of the world?
    You still have your life, have your family, and have your happiness.

Also it is your money. How you choose to spend it or save it, how you want to be thrifty, or splurge it ... is nobody's business.

msm, Rihana and sokanasanah like this.
  9. msm

msm Gold IL'ite

Thank you kkrish, I should have mentioned it explicitly, both the times I tried with my instant pot and the feeling of residue going waste came to me when I melt using the instant pot, may be the quantity of butter I used was more compared to what I used to do on stove top.

Well said, sure. thanks.

startinganew likes this.