1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Jaddanbai - Mother Of Nargis

Discussion in 'Music and Dance' started by Cheeniya, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

There is not much material available to write about Jaddanbai except that she was the mother of the famous Nargis. Wikipedia lists out only 5 movies with which Jaddanbai was associated as Music Director. She was born in 1892 and died in 1949.
    From Wikipedia:
    "Jaddanbai Hussain was born in 1892 She was brought up as a Muslim by her mother and stepfather. Jaddanbai and her husband later migrated to Punjab and later to Chilbila Village in Allahabad, where she worked as a tawaif. Her step father died when she was five. Jaddan Bai moved to the city and became a singer but had difficulty due to her lack of formal training. She later approached Shrimant Ganpat Rao (Bhaiya Saheb Scindia) of Calcutta and became his student. Shrimant Ganpat Rao died in 1920 while she was still a student, so she completed her training under Ustad Moinuddin Khan. Later she also trained with Ustad Chaddu Khan Saheb and Ustad Laab Khan Saheb.

Her music became popular. She began recording ghazals with the Columbia Gramophone Company. She started participating in music sessions. She was invited by the rulers of many states like Rampur, Bikaner, Gwalior, Kashmir, Indore and Jodhpur. She had also rendered songs and ghazals at various radio stations in the country.

She later began acting when the Play Art Photo Tone Company of Lahore approached her for a role in their movie Raja Gopichand in 1933. She played the role of the mother of the title character. Later she worked for a Karachi based film company, in Insaan ya Shaitan.

She worked in two more movies, Prem Pariksha and Seva Sadan, before starting her own production company called Sangeet Films. The company produced Talashe Haq in 1935, in which she acted and composed the music. She also introduced her daughter Nargis as a child artist. In 1936 she acted in, directed, and wrote the music for Madam Fashion.
    Her first marriage was with a Hindu man Narottamdas Khatri alias Bachi Babu who converted to Islam and adopted the name of "Nazeer Mohammad" their son was Akhtar Hussain. Her second marriage was with Ustaad Irshad Meer Khan and they had a son Anwar Hussain. Her third marriage was to Mohanchand Uttamchand Tyagi alias Mohan Babu, originally a Hindu who converted to Islam and adopted the name Abdul Rashid. Film actress, Nargis (real name, Fatima Rashid) was their daughter."

With this I conclude my series on Hindi Music Directors. Hope you enjoyed my blogs.

Can you see the features of Nargis in her?

Ghazal: Nukta cheen hai gham-e-dil us ko sunaaye na bane. Jaddanbai wrote the lyrics too.

Roop joban gun dharo rahat hum - Bandish in Raag Durga (Chhota Khayal)

Moti Ka Haar / Pearl Necklace 1937: Chot maar lyo ghoonghatwa ki ot janiya (Ashiq Hussain)

Gauri03 likes this.

2. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Complex lives of filmy people! I see a similar trend in most of the successful women; they are ambitious, talented, take hug risks in their lives and they are ahead of their times! Without trying to understand them or judging them from our moral yardsticks, we should simply enjoy the entertainment they provided.

Thank you, Cheeniya Sir, for introducing us to the stalwarts of the Hindi music industry. May be after a while, you could write about the later musicians. We enjoyed your series.:clap2:

BeingSoulful and Cheeniya like this.
  3. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

Cheeniya Uncle,
    Your decision of ending your writings on Hindi musical legenders gave me a huge disappointment :( and it showed clarity to my decision too. I have started interacting with you from your first musical blog on Nazia Hassan and it has been continuing..... Meanwhile you become Cheeniya Sir to my dear Cheeniya Uncle. I feel that is the happiest thing for me when I think of IL.
    I came to know many unknown awesome musical directors and immortal songs through your musical blogs. I'm so grateful to you ! I'm having tears while writing and stopping here.

4. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Cheeniya,

I am 'thump thump' and 'dub dub' tuned. That means, I am inclined to pay attention to any sound that reverberates with bass drums and synth and trance and electronic beat and ignore the rest. I have no discerning ear for melody. I am as tone deaf to melody and old Hindi Music as a prehistoric rock is to percussion. I have been a shy lurker to your music anthology as I could rarely identify the composers or their compositions.

Your prodigious undertaking to bring forth the early pioneers of music in Indian Cinema is startling, to say the least, for no one has considered it before. I don't know if it was a whim or incubated hesitation, which you overpowered to grind my stoney ears, that you enthralled us all, finally, broadly, to names and tunes and recitals that are charming though forlorn.

My favourite in the series is Bulo C Rani.

I liked the consistent motif in all the episodes in your series to insinuate the unflinching virtuosity of the composer through their checkered biography rather than acclaimed works. They demonstrated a 'rise and shine' spirit in tarana and geet through every setback. The travails and triumphs of these musical mavericks will be cherished by me for a while as I have only now discovered their works.

To embark with Nazia Hassan and conclude with Jaddanbai as a homage to the sound and fury series in a woman's column is, what can I say, a fine and befitting gesture.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  5. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Iravati
    Oh my god! How did I miss this feedback? I had almost given up all hopes of any interaction on this series, that I did not bother to look back. I was posting a new thread here on Henri Mancini, the noted composer of film themes and as I was going through my earlier threads, I found your FB. Thank you very much!
    There is a coffee ad on TV. The wife makes the coffee and the hubby sips it. He utters something highly laudatory and the wife becomes so excited to shout 'I expected this and only this'. Your concluding sentence gave me the same feeling of exaltation.
    You indeed made my day!