1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How To Make My 3 Year Old Drink Milk

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by happyperson, Jul 30, 2018.

1. pinky2cute

pinky2cute Platinum IL'ite

I second that. Use A2 milk which is unadultered and no hormones injected into cows unlike A1 milk.
    Though getting A2 milk is not that readily available in India in everyplace.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  2. DavidW

DavidW New IL'ite

try putting coco (powder) and a bit of honey for sweetness, unlike the flavored milk in the shops, it will be under your control and does not have so much sugar!

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

If the reason for giving milk is for calcium and strong bones, then milk need not be the only source for young children.

There are other sources, a few here:
    • Spinach
    • Green beans
    • Kale
    • Broccoli
    • Orange
    • Papaya
    • Sweet potato
    • okra (ladysfinger)
    • Almonds
    • Sesame seeds
    • Figs
    - and if you eat fish
    • Salmon
    • Sardines
    Talk to your doctor or dietitian to find out how to incorporate these in your child's diet and there may be no need to drink milk.

What is important is to see the child plays a lot in adequate sunlight and absorbs the natural vitamin D, which is essential for calcium absorption, resulting in strong bones (be careful of sunburn though).

Also please avoid chocolate/cocoa - theobromine in cocoa is a stimulant and behaves like caffeine.
    Besides you will also be adding sweeteners - which is another negative for health.

4. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

OP, I know many kids not liking taste of milk and not accepting it at all. I know some of them have only flavoured milk and some just with cereals.
    I hear at this they do not need milk as long as you fulfill their calcium needs through other means like cheese, yogurt and some sort of fish

Thyagarajan and happyperson like this.
  5. diva31

diva31 Guest

hello! Milk is very important for children as it is rich in calcium, Vitamin D, protein and other vital nutrients. The most common reason that some children stop drinking milk is when there is a transition from breast milk or formula to regular milk or from bottles to drinking cups. Some children prefer the taste of water, juice or other beverages over milk in the diet. But I believe that children should never be forced to drink milk if they are not willing to. It is more essential that a child is enjoying eating and is given a well-balanced mixed diet during meals. Milk can be the best source of calcium, protein, and vitamins, but can be easily replaced by other foods which contain calcium, protein, and vitamins. Like Yogurt. cheese, cereals, orange juice. I hope it would be helpful. Best of luck!

6. Hsharma2018

Hsharma2018 Senior IL'ite

No reason to push milk on him if he doesn’t want it. Calcium and protein are available from many other foods. Nothing special about drinking milk.

7. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

This was all in 2018 when the little one was 3. Now child is 8 years as nd let us know what changes you made that made or mar his/her drinking milk.
    I hv an idea but you can't try now because he is 8.
    If s/he has penchant about a container or package, disguise is the way. If baby hate to see the container then transfer contents to attractive container or pouch. For example if he likes LAYS put th he healthy banana slices into it and thrust the cover into his hands. Milk can be put in coke empty bottle.....