1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

How To Keep Kitchen Dry - What Is Your Kitchen Cleaning Routine.

Discussion in 'Home Decoration & Improvement' started by star90new, Jul 23, 2018.

1. star90new

star90new Bronze IL'ite

Dear ladies

I dont have a dishwasher. (No space) . I have to wash all my dishes in the sink. If I cook something in the morning kitchen floor gets wet while washing and preparing food. I have placed a mat and it gets wet every day dries by night. I have tiles as flooring and during mid day my floor stays wet. What can I do to prevent this?

How often do you mop, sweep and change the mats? How do you wash the mats? I have seen that some people wash in their washing machine. Is that hygienic even if we use dettol and the like?

2. Vaidekikrishnan

Vaidekikrishnan Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    I guess it's a common problem we are facing at most of our homes. These are the below steps I follow..
    1. I always keep my counter top free especially near sink and stove. So that my cooking space and dish drying space won't get messed up.
    2. I have a dish draining basket to keep the washed vessel. And mainly I use a microfiber or thick cotton cloth to spread in the dish drying area and keep the washed vessels on it.. so that the excess water get absorbed by the cloth and they won't spill on the floor.

3. Normally I sweep my kitchen twice. Once in the morning and night before bed.
    4. Once the cooking is done first sweep then wash the utensils and finally mop the floor.. after mopping please put the mat for air-drying provided you won't enter the kitchen for a while. So that I feel the kitchen remains clean before & after cooking as you repeat the same during night as well.
    5. Please use 2 pairs of mats/ thick cotton waste cloth for kitchen one is below sink and one below stove. As you have two pairs daily you can interchange and just put the wet one for drying.
    6. When it comes to washing if you are using your old cotton dresses or saree that will be easy to maintain by washing once or twice in a week. The difficulty of hand wash comes only when you use heavy rugs.
    7. One more thing you can have two hand towels in kitchen to wipe hands then and there. One near sink and one near your cooktop. So that whenever we wash our hands we will wipe immediately so the water won't get sprinkled on the floor.
    8. And wipe of the water on counter top then and there atleast immediately after cooking so that it won't spill on the floor.

I guess the above points adds some answer to your question. If not I am sorry.

Regards,
    Vaideki

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    pinkydarling and star90new like this.
  3. pinky2cute

pinky2cute Platinum IL'ite

Ah..the star is shining ...

In my home too the kitchen floor used to be wet during the cooking times.

1) use an old cotton cloth or mat under the sink while washing utensils.

2) spread cloth n then u dry ur utensils after washing on it.

3) in our home sweeping n mopping kitchen is done by maid in the morning only one time.

4) in our case, maid washes the mats once in 10 or 15days depending on the need by soaking it n washing in bucket.

I know many people wash mats by putting thwm in washing machine as nowadays no maid washes the mats or charges a lot for that one thing.
    But somehow we dislike putting the dirty mats into washing machine where our regular laundry gets washed!

Maybe you can soak the mats in bucket with dettol and surf powder and then then transfer to washing machine once the heavy dirt is out.

star90new and shravs3 like this.
  4. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

The easiest change you can make is not to open the tap fully. Keep it half open.

It is irritating at first but soon you will realise it is as effective and makes less mess because there is less splashing of water.

Plus there is less wastage of water.

star90new and Vaidekikrishnan like this.
  5. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

I am squeamish about my kitchen floor getting wet. The water marks and stains drive me crazy.

Usually women prefer runners or mats on the wooden, tiled, or even carpetted, floors to soak up spilling water.

Like below:

upload_2018-7-31_10-58-34.png

I think you have a similar set-up.

Ask me:

I invested in a colorful and soft and movable carpet on the kitchen floor rather than inadequate runners and mats. Measure your kitchen (length, width). Order a large carpet. I don't think I have ever given much thought to my kitchen decor but this carpet addition was the best remedy. If your kitchen is open plan, even better, as the carpet does not have to fit into the confined space but only roll along the floor with hob and sink overhead. Buy a sizable carpet that color coordinates with your living room upholstery. The cleaners at my place remark instantly on the carpet in the kitchenette. That's a pretty feel! Carpet is functional and aesthetic and comprehensive to your need. It gives a nice feel to your bare feet (if you are inclined to walk around without slippers during cooking, which I do). The strong carpet nicely soaks up the stray droplets or liquid mess from cooking. Later vacuum, steam-clean it like how you clean regular carpet. My helper usually does that so I don't know how much labour is involved.

If I were you, I would not toil much on Amazon but collar my partner and sweetly wheedle him: 'Habbi, forget that jewellery and watch and perfume and other boring stuff to gift me. Listen, I want a carpet. Get me one'.

Men are very good with such machismo tasks. They take great pride for ordering carpets around the house. Trust me. Leave it to your Habba habba as indulgent shopping over the weekend.

Is an intruding carpet on tiles worth? Definitely. Cleaning part, think, check out, as I mentioned, I have professional help around to tidy and clean up my place.

(Note: images, that too representative, are sourced from internet and are not my personal home pictures)

upload_2018-7-31_11-2-39.png

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    star90new and dhivyacc like this.
  6. Penelope

Penelope Bronze IL'ite

Do not place all the dishes In the sink while you wash. When I hand wash dishes I rinse them one by one and place them beside the sink and then take them one by one into the sink to wash. This way the dishes can sit lower in the sink and water is less likely to splash out. If something needs to soak: rinse it once then leave it to soak while you finish your cooking, sweep up and put away items. I like to clean the rest of the kitchen nicely so there isn't much left to do after dishes have been washed. You could also find a plastic tub to set beside the sink if you wanted to soak several dishes in soapy water while you wash things in the sink one by one.

Get creative so that water stays off the floor from the start if possible.

If your sink is not very deep this may make it difficult. Is it possible for you to replace the sink with a deeper one?

7. SamyK

SamyK New IL'ite

Even though I have diswasher I dont use it because I like to wash dishes then and there.I use xl size dish drying mat. I have 6 of them. so whenever one get wet I change them. I dont like to stock up. I usually dont keep anything on my kitchen slap especially next to to the sink so that whenever i wash dishes I keep the dishes there on drying mat to drain excess water. I hanged hand towels one near to sink and one near stove to wipe hands to avoid water soaking from hands. on the floor have placed 31x19 inch memory foam mats one near stove and one near sink. Whenever I need to chop vegetable i do it next to sink to avoid water soaking on floor. I kept hand towels to clean kitchen counter top. I sweep and mop kitchen floor daily in the night because I do all the cooking in the night.

pinkydarling likes this.
  8. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

I use dishwasher for majority but iIhave to rinse ofcourse and then many utensils have to be hand washed so i understand your frustation. I, too, do not like water on kitchen floor or any floor infact.
    My mother came to US and she was hand washing all the time and trying to be lightning speed she would wet floor counter everything. Then I enter the kitchen, it was extra work for me to dry the floor and counters.
    As some poster said, try to use tap on low and not to full the sink. I also tried that but get frustated with low tap.
    Also stack on clean dishes slowly. I tried to be env friendly and use indian style fabric mop but then in US its problem of drying or cleaning those too so I just use tissues now.
    Also I stopped using rugs/fabric ones for same drying reason and have leather'ish foam mats one now. But if you live in area or have time to dry/wash or change mats everyday, that would be way better. Use heavy runner rugs, so your do not trip on them.

star90new likes this.
  9. cutebarbie

cutebarbie Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    I get irritated to wash the kitchen sink. How do u all wash the sink effectively?? Also how often??