Yearning To Go To India

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Snehadabir, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Snehadabir

Snehadabir Senior IL'ite

Hi I am 8 weeks pregnant. I have been living in the US for the past 2 years and have a job here. In the past few weeks, I have been yearning to go to India and be with my family. It is just me and my husband here and we do not have a lot of friends. I am feeling very lonely and miss everybody back home. My parents will be coming here for the delivery, but somehow I feel like I want to have the delivery in India where there will be many ppl surrounding me. I have a full time job here, but I don't like it very much and would be willing to resign. But my husband is against it. Given the current situation, getting a job is so difficult, he doesn't want me to give up my job so easily.

The sad feeling of not being able to go back haunts me all day and I am not able to concentrate on work. Please advice if you have been in a similar situation and how you handled it.

GeetaKashyap and shravs3 like this.

2. Starkgirl

Starkgirl Silver IL'ite

I totally understand your situation, I am 15 weeks pregnant , I live in US. and initially in first trimester, I too missed my parents so much and I think part of blame goes to your pregnancy harmones but it does get better.
    Try to go out for small walks , read something nice in your free time , see if you feel better. Few more months and your parents are coming here ... think about it.
    I read stotram in the evening , it helps to calm my mind. See if you feel better if not talk to your husband.

GeetaKashyap and Lalithambigai like this.
  3. ILUser07

ILUser07 Silver IL'ite

I am in the same state. I already have so many threads in married life mentioning it. I am not able to make my mind to stay here. I am planning to talk to my husband again this weekend. I am sure it will create a fight. But I feel, calling parents here, making them stay home, taking all the stress is not worth it. This is my second pregnancy(first was here and it was terrible). I want to experience all the pampering in India.

4. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Congratulations!
    Your feelings are understandable and everyone goes through it. Especially now your need must be more. But we have to be practical. Some strategies I use whenever I miss my people are, spending time with old albums/videos. This makes you feel really better. You may watch Indian/regional films which will again calm and make you happy with old memories associated with it. Now with the technological advancement, you can be with your loved ones virtually and feel better. Remember, time flies! Cheer up!

Lalithambigai and shravs3 like this.
  5. sumalynux

sumalynux IL Hall of Fame

Congratulations on your pregnancy.

Every day I yearn to go back India. I just came here 2yrs back. And have 3yr old to keep me occupied all the time

So I understand how you feel as pregnant.

If possible ask your parents to courier your favourite snacks. Or buy your favourite Indian snacks here.

Do long time video calls with your mom and aunt cousins who are close to you.

As Geetha suggested watch regional movies and listen to your favorite songs.

Get good sleep. After delivery sleep is high rated.

Cheer up. Time flies.

In no time your mom will be here and you will be holding baby in hand.

6. Lalithambigai

Lalithambigai IL Hall of Fame

+1
    I hear you OP. Hang out on IL a bit more, whenever you can, join the Due Date club, make friends with other IL's on the same journey as you and before you realise your mum and your LO will be sitting on either side of you and following your posts on IL alongwith you :)

vaidehi71 and GeetaKashyap like this.
  7. Snehadabir

Snehadabir Senior IL'ite

Thank you all for the soothing replies. Yes, i sometimes feel too that this is temporary feeling and all because of the hormones. Will pray to God to give me the strength to stay away from these kind of thoughts.

Once again, thank you all

sumalynux and Lalithambigai like this.