How Do Homemakers Spend Their Time After Kids Grow Up?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by anika987, Jun 28, 2018.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I usually have a pretty good routine and now my LO will be in kindergarden soon.It will be 9 to 3.30 full time.
    As kids grow up,one does have extra time.I am not saying you just jump to a career rightaway if that's not your cup of tea.There are many ways to keep busy.however,how do you constantly keep busy?

In office,whether you like it or not..one does have to do their work,time flies,home and housework etc plus agreed a salary makes you feel good.

Due to certain constraints ,if one cannot take up a career now..especially with kids growing up..how do you feel motivated,not bored and be happy?Especlally with bigger kids?

Mehana and hridhaya like this.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Many such moms go on to become helicopter parents. Some upgrade to Drone Parent by middle school.

HuffPost says a Drone Parent is a Helicopter Parent on steroids. : )

alady2018, friscomom, Amma15 and 4 others like this.
  3. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

Some of my friends, stay extended time in India every year like 4-6 months duration in India, taking care of their parents and helping their sisters etc. Usually, come home in the summer to fall to shuttle kid(s) back to school and then, return back to India. Yep, their husbands work here.

I really don't know, how this sort of long distance family life will fit in....sort of drifted apart over time?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    anika987 likes this.
  4. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

One can start focusing on their passion devote time and effort which they weren’t able to all those years to Learn something new.
    Or some start getting involved in the community which helps in expandng the social circle too.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    Mehana, sk2017 and sindmani like this.
  5. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

One of my friends has always stayed home since having children. She is very active in her kids' schools, serves on the PTA, serves as chaperone when needed and mentors under-privileged kids.

Mehana and ashima10 like this.
  6. Ambrosia

Ambrosia New IL'ite

Hi Anika,

Its nice to share about my views here. Definitely when the kid grows, we are also learning again a lot of life skills along with our kids includes their syllabus as well. LOl....But as an individual what am I, doing is learning Music and Drawing, do read spiritual or any sort of stories to my MIL or to my kids when they demand of. Volunteering with certain NGOs to go as scribe, to teach them Music, English in a way with the small knowledge what i have gathered so far and decided to just share to the people who is in need, eventually Where the time permits and doesn't disturb my other routines. Just follow your passion, keep doing something, keep learning something, keep exploring yourself. We will feel happy about us once our kids reaches into teen age as well as when it gets limited to minimal care and supervision from us.

messedup likes this.
  7. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Do not wait for the kids to leave home to decide how to spend your time. Start thinking about it now and begin to work towards what you would like to do, right away, but slowly and steadily..

Here are a few suggestions, if I may:

1. If you were working prior to having your child and plan to return to the workforce, keep up with the changing trends in your area of work.
    For example, if you are a programmer, keep updating your skill set by learning new languages.
    Take online classes that allow you to learn at your own pace.

Those in other fields also can keep up with the trend by learning. There are many "free" university courses offered by many universities.

2. You can opt for part-time jobs that allow you to be home before your child comes back from school

3. Learn music - vocal, instrumental - lot of classes are offered on line. Once kids go to school and leave for college you can teach music.

4. Sewing and embroidery - This is a very good skill and one can earn a lot doing this from home.

5. Knitting, tatting, crocheting - Similar to Sewing. Excel in this skill and one can find ways to make it a business too.

5. Crafts - There are a number of crafts that you can do and make a business. I know many ladies who are good at jewelry making, polymer clay, stained glass, pottery... the list is endless.

6. Cooking & baking - If you are good and passionate about cooking or baking, turn it into a small business. You can supply sweets, or cakes for birthday parties. I know one lady who grinds idli batter and supplies it.

Or you can just volunteer your time for the food bank, hospitals, orphanages, senior homes, local church, temple....

Hope this helps and also trigger other ideas ...

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    sk2017 and messedup like this.
  8. Meganjali

Meganjali New IL'ite

Anyone wants to increase business, then list your business list on online free business listing website. And are you buyer and seller then best products are available of affordable price on free business listing site. For more information visit us

9. September2015

September2015 Bronze IL'ite

We didn't get married only to have children right? Spend time with your husband! Read books, exercise, go for walking, read articles that interest you. Volunteer at the school if you want to have an impact on other lives :)

anika987 likes this.
  10. ranju5

ranju5 Silver IL'ite

I think this is the best period in your life when your little un is off to school and you have some time to your self. This is the time to ask your self what you really want in life and what you would really like to do: what are you drawn to? It can be a hobby that you have been putting off and now you have the time to devote towards it. You do realise that you dont have to have a career or a job to be fulfilled in life. You just have to do what pleases you and makes you happy. In your part of the world you have so many opportunities so look out for them and follow your heart. When you are happy you create a happy home. Dont go by what everyone else is doing you choose what you want and like and love doing. You will never be bored because life is one long journey and how you travel is entirely up to. Be Happy and God Bless

anika987 and messedup like this.