#_musings

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by kaniths, May 30, 2018.

1. Maayon

Maayon Bronze IL'ite

:clap2::clap2:Nice thought.
    I will pick this and stop buying garments for next one year. Hope I can clear my wardrobe in a year.

Gauri03 and kaniths like this.
  2. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Difference between saying "one thousand two hundred" and "twelve hundred"?? I used to wonder that and convinced myself it's probably the language limitations.

English write from left to right and Arabs write from right to left. Imagine a scenario where an Arab person has to read something that's English but is written in Arabic (say like Hinglish). Think he had still start to read from right to left, automatically, because at first sight it's 'Arabic' to him and his thoughts are programmed to read as how Arabic has to be. Might seem gibberish unless he figures it's English written in Arabic, then the text would become meaningful I guess. Lol. My silly wonderings! :laughing:

Fascinating to realize how culture enriches languages growth and in turn how languages influences our thought processing! : )

What if ET is an advanced, sophisticated AI after all? Would languages still matter? :sweatsmile:

Lol. Shouts could work, maybe? :wink:

Thank you for the shares, Enjoyed much. : )

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    Gauri03 likes this.
  3. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

@Maayon Blink. I m bit lost here. :blush:

Are(n't) we both making the same point here? What has 'to be ideal' globalization is happening now in emerging economies? As in 'Make in India'? :thinking:

Maayon likes this.
  4. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Maayon likes this.
  5. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

#urbandesign

Here's some interesting trivia I stumbled across last week. I thought the design geek in you might appreciate. The video explains why so many buildings in New York have a "setback" style of architecture.

From Encyclopedia Britannica,

Setback, in architecture, a steplike recession in the profile of a high-rise building. Usually dictated by building codes to allow sunlight to reach streets and lower floors, a setback is incorporated because the building must take another step back from the street for every specified added height interval. Without building setbacks, the main commercial districts of many large cities would be in constant shadow.

250px-Empire_State_Building_(aerial_view).jpg

As the video explains this was one of the first zoning laws to be passed in NYC, implemented in 1916 to stop the construction of gigantic, light-blocking skyscrapers after the massive profile of the Equitable building caused an uproar. Buildings like the Empire State (above) were built using the setback principle. Fascinating how I never wondered why these buildings were designed the way they were and now that I know I will never see them the same way again!

Maayon and kaniths like this.
  6. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

#gardenspam

A few snapshots from this year's vegetable gardening. Just started getting a few vegetables and herbs from the garden, but with the impending travel I won't be able to enjoy much of the produce. At this point I'm hoping the drip irrigation system keeps the plants alive long enough for me to return and salvage something for a late summer harvest.

V.png

#Row 1: Tomatoes, green chillies, strawberries
    #Row 2: Bell peppers, White eggplant, purple basil and thyme

Maayon and kaniths like this.
  7. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

ha ha! I still so vividly remember from my last trip, bugs being passionately cooked and devoured in seconds! All the while I starved, desperate for "something veggie" or just survived the days merely on Tofus and Hyacinth beans. Lol. Not again. If future is #bugs, I give up already! Zombie ants can take me on! :sweatsmile:

Cognitive... shelf spaces and money bandwidth too! ;) Lol. With my "ready to move out" situation, 2018 started as a minimal shopping year anyway. Now that things have changed, I'm thinking to stock up new stuffs but thanks for the timely reminder! I ll try to stick to your plans too. :thumbsup::sunglasses:

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  8. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Lovely veggies collection you have got there. I love the strawberry most! I don't usually see it being home grown, that was new to notice. Remember my wonderment about your 'Jalapenos' last year? :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

It heard ya! ;) Lol. Sometimes, life just suprises us with such sweetness out of nowhere! Cherish and Ensoi. :cool:

Orannnge! :hearteyes: Bright as summer, livens up my mood anytime! It's my favorite color too!

ha ha! Silly! :smash2:

#GardenSpam only reminds me of home and my mother. :blush:

Go on, bring us more! :lol:
    [​IMG]

To strawberries, pomegranates, red, orange, green, yellow, white and rainbow harvests! :beer-toast1:

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  9. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

#Garden + #AI + #Monk... So You! :tearsofjoy:

Kidding. BonsAI, cute isn't? :hearteyes:

10. Maayon

Maayon Bronze IL'ite

Good to know.