1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Dad Has Increasing Dizziness When Walking

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by ChennaiExpress, May 18, 2018.

1. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

Hello Ladies (and Gentlemen)

As you may be aware, my 70-year young Dad is facing health challenges on several fronts. Lot of problems he doesn't tell me because of relativity of problem, and he doesn't want me to get more worried.

That aside, for past month or so, my Dad started to complain about dizziness when talking a walk outside our home. He feels as if he's drunk. When he returned home, and sits down, the dizziness seems to disappear.

Now he says the dizziness is when he is even walking at home. He feels he will lose his balance.

Every time I say "let's go to a Neurologist", he gets frustrated and says he has so many other health issues. (I'm currently helping to prepare for Gastroenterologist appointment)

And when I wanted to call the 24-hour Nurse Hotline (apart of my Dad's insurance), he got frustrated saying they will only tell to go to Emergency room (which he does not want to do)

I'm using google to find possible causes.

I am also thinking he may be low on protein. He stopped eating chicken (he just takes chicken soup extract instead), so that may be the cause. I'm really not sure. Then again, we still have to make sure he is not having heart issues with further testing.

Any suggestions. We are non-vegetarians, so Dad can eat anything (within reason, he's 70 and has xyz health issues)

As I mentioned Google is helpful, but many times common-sense solution can be found within one's brethren.

Thank you so much

Last edited: May 18, 2018

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Dizziness can be due to a variety of reasons. If he is experiencing this while walking do not delay and consult a doctor. You don't want to risk having him fall or pass out while he is outside and alone.

ChennaiExpress likes this.
  3. goldenhoney87

goldenhoney87 Silver IL'ite

Get him evaluated by a neurologist without delay.

4. Mery

Mery Silver IL'ite

Just check his thyroid too. My FIL had same issue. Was not able to do his daily chores because of dizziness. When checked his thyroid was critically low.So have a look at that.

5. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

Thank you for these replies.

@Mery Luckily his thyroid is ok (Dr always tests, he takes Synthroid)

Hope I can get him to a DR asap.

Mery likes this.