Emotional Meltdown At Work: Professional?

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by Naari, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

:lol:

Sandycandy likes this.
  2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

+1

SandyCandy might ask kitne badaam the*, but I have to mention another older discussion that comes to mind. When ex-Google engineer James Damore wrote about why women might not be doing well in tech, and differences in their abilities, preferences, personalities, there was so much outrage. It was said that such comments do not belong in formal public places like offices and should not be expressed using company resources. Then, why expect companies to be more tolerant of women's meltdowns?

*how many almonds.

Sandycandy, Naari and GeetaKashyap like this.
  3. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Very interesting discussion and it is always nice to learn something new. When I worked for a large organization, I have come across some colleagues taking leave at the wrong time just to double the work pressure for others during crucial times; a way of settling scores! These women invariably used sick kids/ wheezing/??? as an excuse and someday later, through some other sources we would get to know the real reasons! It is very unprofessional. Then again, cases differ from person to person so can't use the same yardstick.

Sandycandy and Naari like this.
  4. Vennella

Vennella Gold IL'ite

Emotional breakdowns at work are unprofessional. More than just people breaking down, I hate to see people losing temper. Getting all heated up and losing cool and yelling at others because they cannot handle something. This happens with both men and women.

Unfortunately women are seen as emotional creatures. It fits the stereotype of women breaking down and covered in tears. It is definitely a weak point so it is important to not let that happen.

GeetaKashyap and Naari like this.
  5. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Very True but Should I hold back my tears because I want to fight the stereotypical view of women being more emotional?

Rather than this being a gender specific issue this is a issue with work ethics . There are people ( both men and women) that can have good or bad work ethics and some of those that can be emotional too. What matters is that deadlines are met and work gets done.
    We work with tight budgets and strict deadlines, so cannot afford for anyone in the team to take unplanned time off. The emotional meltdown would not bother me as much as the employee abandoning ship.
    Talking of badam, Rihana when did you start breaking IL rules ?

nakshatra1, Naari and GoneGirl like this.
  6. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Surprised because... ? I don't think I ever wrote here or anywhere that men have to judged differently when they are having a tough day /breakdown at work. The question was about women and statistically women are more likely to have a breakdown at work was the point I was trying to make.
    and I couldnt agree more.
    Using company's time and resources to rally one section of folks within the company against another is completely diff from having an emotional breakdown at work. If u think they are the same then I have nothing more to say. More almonds perhaps ?

Gauri03 and peartree like this.
  7. nakshatra1

nakshatra1 Platinum IL'ite

This issue can be analysed from 2 perspectives .
    From an employees perspective , I would say it is extremely unprofessional to show tears or anger at work . Even one such incident can ruin someone's career .During work we should forget all personal issues and ficus on the work . Everything should be left behind at home . If the emotional outburst Is related to any colleague or official matter, that's even worse . First rule at work is to maintain calm composure and professionalism even in trying situations . For any problems you can speak to supervisor or HR if required but never make an emotional scene.

If someone is facing some terrible issues like a death of immediate family member or divorce , they should take it up frankly with their supervisor and HR and plan properly , instead of making colleagues guilty or uncomfortable by showing emotions .

From management perspective , it is better to increase employment to make it sustainable , instead of over working the employees . As it is , most employees spend most of their waking hours in office , or on laptop at home on work related issues , even weekends are not always guaranteed . So management needs to plan properly to deal with such peak times instead of being overly dependent on a few people.

In any case , never make gender excuses at work for being a woman .If we want discrimination to end , we must stop asking for unecessary privileges . Maternity leave etc is justified but what is not justified is leaving early because you have a kid at home , while your unmarried lady colleague / any male colleague slogs on your behalf for the same pay .

Last edited: May 10, 2018
    Rihana and messedup like this.
  8. Rihana

Agree. Maternity, parental, adoption leaves, flex work hours, or any accommodations that employer can list in writing and provide to employees to make them more productive and build loyalty, are one thing.

I wouldn't want my eyebrow lady or my doctor to have an emotional breakdown when I am seeing them. Even outside time with patients, if a group of doctors is discussing my test results, I wouldn't want one of them to be going through an emotional breakdown. When the eyebrow lady is warming up the wax before she calls me in, I want her full attention on the wax temperature. Pilot -- no breakdown when in air. And also not when on ground discussing important safety etc stuff in meeting. Or working on writing a document for new pilots. I would definitely want that my child's teacher leave her marital and parenting problems outside the classroom and focus on the children in the class.

For all the above examples and more professions, I would hope that the employees, men or women, learn to leave their emotional breakdowns outside work as much as possible, and not ask for special accommodations as they are the primary caregiver of children they chose to have.

On the one hand, women have fought for laws like it being discriminatory to ask a woman in interviews if she is married or has children. On the other, they want employers to be more accommodating of their breakdowns as parenting is primarily their job in the household?

sweetsmiley, nakshatra1 and Ragini25 like this.
  9. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

Couldn't have put it better Rih.

Rihana likes this.
  10. Rihana

Good Morning, Rags. :grinning: