1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Husband And Sil

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by bron, May 2, 2018.

1. blooms4me

blooms4me Bronze IL'ite

@bron,
    I feel it's strange but all families are different. Maybe your husband's is a tight knit family n they used to talk every day even before marrying you. So probably it's not a new thing. But instead of telling him that you want him to reduce the talk, or telling him that it bothers you, make him see you are a wife, partner and mother. Engage him in fun activities at home, plan outings, make him more involved as a husband and father. Take some family trips, at least to some park of zoo or something. Invole him in shopping. And of course dressing up well other than mom clothes n preparing new foods could also do wonders. So men are still boys after marriage and need a little time to mature. It doesn't come too naturally for them as we ladies. And plus when time progresses, your child grows, responsibilities increase, things will change. Also if your SIL is not married, once she does, you will be able to see some difference.
    Try bringing some changes in your lifestyle n see. If things do not change after even all this, it's time to bring up the topic n get angry. Try the calm method first. Hope it helps.

sindmani and GeetaKashyap like this.
  2. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

I talk to my sister everyday. every. single. day
    nothing weird about it.

sindmani and justanothergirl like this.
  3. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

But Rakhi meri jaan...same gender and u are the fairer sex so its ok. Rules are diff when its a brother and sister.

sindmani, Rakhii and Ragini25 like this.
  4. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

my girl...you see, sem sem sex is no big issue these days.
    I saw something this AM in the train. Those ladies would put a mature man and women to shame, even when alone in a secluded island far away from earth itself :p :)

This is more for the OP than you :p
    damn...did i miss your point? This habbilal on netflix is getting to me.

5. bron

bron Silver IL'ite

if this makes sense then why is talking with opposite sex friends after marriage alone blown out of proportions?? bro n sister innocent love but friends of opposite sex being same talking everyday after marriage alone wrong intention?? but talking to same sex friends not a problem..oppositr sex wrong wrong wrong..what if a sibling talks everything even after marriage then why get married at all..u have ur sister be happy with her nah?

6. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

There are many women who has good male friends and vice versa. As long as one respect boundary of marriage, its harmless. But in some cases, these close friendship with opposite gender may lead to extra marital affairs (emotional or physical -see many posts in ILS). The possible sexual attraction factor is the reason why some people deal it with caution, I guess.

Wife will never be equal to sister. Sister will never be equal to wife. They cannot be replaced by each other. They have different roles & needs in ones life and nature of that relationship is different. That's why one need to marry. It is better not to compare both or be over possessive. Marriage doesn't mean that one have to cut the close relation or friendship or bonding with their own siblings. After marriage this priority change, but takes time, depending on the individual. Same way a close female friend may be like a sister, but can never be one's own sister. But one have to respect the boundary of any relationship.

OP, it will be better, if you stop overthinking this issue, else you will loose your peace of mind and happiness. Learn to ignore.

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  7. ChandrikaV

ChandrikaV IL Hall of Fame

Hi,

My brother calls me everyday. We talk about totally insignificant things like weather, traffic , what is for breakfast etc etc. So I think nothing wrong.

8. bron

bron Silver IL'ite

what if you dont totally involve your bro's wife ?? what if you dictate him how things should be done? what if you influence him silently by talking about x and y with situtations he is involved? whats if she is totally not ok with what you are talking to him? what if she feels ignored or eliminated by her hubby you and your mom? what if you your bro and your mom is a team and you discuss everything among yourself and dont consider your bro's wife asa human?

9. bron

bron Silver IL'ite

why boundariess should be set for friendship alone inbetween a husband and wife if it is of same or opposite sex ..but why a boundary is not set if it is sister and bro? how is that totallt different? why it is is considered the relationship of sis and bro is totally different to that of husband and wife? so does that mean a sister has all rights for her brother to disciss anything? how is that right? and why boundaries should be set only for opposite sex friends?

10. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

well said rakhi and jag.
    bron does not realize this is a losing battle, and all she'd end up doing if she questions her DH about this, is to push him further away and, once he gets more irritated, he will only move even more strongly towards the family of origin.

blooms4me likes this.