1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Time

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by nandinimithun, May 2, 2018.

1. nandinimithun

nandinimithun IL Hall of Fame

TIME – the most precious of modern resources and easily the most misused one. In today’s world, instant coffee, instant knowledge, instant youth and even instant nirvana are all being offered off the counter. Technology is working over time to present quick fix solutions to everything. Yet humankind seems to be forever behind in the race again.

Some Research strongly suggests that people who suffer from “hurry sickness” – the chronic feeling that there’s never enough time – may be at increased risk for developing or aggravating health problems such as high blood pressure and headaches. A struggle with time is also linked to chronic anger and hostility, depression and bitterness. On the other hand, researchers suggest that time competency – using your time effectively – is a must for improving your health, fitness and relationships.

How then should we use our time effectively?

A mission statement is a few paragraphs or pages setting out what your life is about. It should set in general terms the key roles of your life and what you will achieve at the end of your existence. It should also set out those values which mean most to you and the qualities that you aspire to have.
    For example my mission statement would read something like this:

• Be a responsible and responsive life partner and a lovely daughter to parents and in laws
    • Take constant care of both mine and my hubby’s physical, emotional and intellectual health.
    • Never compromise on my principles and values.
    • Make a difference to the society in the best way I can.

Once your mission statement is ready it can be broken down into goals: Long term, medium term and short term. Thereafter, every endeavour should be directed at meeting these goals. These should be continually reviewed so that your direction and speed are in tune with your destination.

Sometimes I feel all the fun and enjoyment seems to be fast disappearing from our lives. Even before our infants are able to talk without lisping, and walk without tumbling they are being ‘prepared’ to take on the world. The other day I was seeing a news item on TV, which focussed on coaching classes for tiny tots seeking admission to pre-nursery. I was horror struck. Kids who are not even two being forced to attend coaching classes! What is this world coming to?
    “Most people I know try to become more clever every day, whereas I try to become more simple and uncomplicated each day,” wrote a philosopher.

Maybe we should try to cultivate this mind set. By increasing our needs and then running around in circles trying to fulfil them we are only creating a no-win situation.
    If you are playing a game,play for the joy of playing not for winning or even improving. The basic idea is to shift yourself – as completely and deeply as you can – out of the rat race for at least 5 minutes, allowing your body to release tension and your mind to relax.

Our mind is always oscillating between the past and the future. We are either crying over spilt milk or trying to cross the bridge before we come to it.
    One of the best ways of time enjoyment is to accept that the present is inevitable. We have to live in the present moment to the fullest and give our hundred percent to whatever we are doing. This might appear extremely difficult but it isn’t really so. Little kids do it all the time - they are forever living in the moment. We too as children did the same. However, over the years, in the process of maturing, we stifled the child in us. What we have to do now is to reawaken the little one in each of us and allow it to blossom in all its innocence and purity. The rest will follow.

Let me now conclude with these memorable quote whose source unfortunately is unknown:
    “We are each given a block of marble when we begin a lifetime and the tools to shape it into sculpture. We can drag it behind us untouched, we can pound it to gravel or we can shape it into glory.”

The choice then is clearly ours - we can abuse and misuse time to fritter away our lives or use it effectively to achieve joy, contentment and glory.

GoneGirl, VinuthaS, periamma and 8 others like this.
  2. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Wow! Nandu, a good article on time; you are teaching us how to tame time & why timely taming of time is very important:)

I loved the quote, “Most people I know try to become more clever every day, whereas I try to become more simple and uncomplicated each day,” wrote a philosopher.

Star25, Sandycandy and nandinimithun like this.
  3. nandinimithun

Geets,
    Thank you for your comment.... wish i can teach myself many things about life when its most needed....
    Yes, thats my favorite line to

shravs3, GeetaKashyap and Sandycandy like this.
  4. nandinimithun

sindmani likes this.
  5. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Really well written DD ! Loved it ! I like the thought of having these short term and long term goals in life . Definitely keeps one motivated and focussed !

6. Star25

Star25 Gold IL'ite

@nandinimithun,
    Awesome writeup on Time :thumbup: I used to feel time is flying.. days weeks months just going so fast.. time management is truly very important for everyone. Loved the way you explained about the mission statement and loved your mission statement as well :)

nandinimithun and GeetaKashyap like this.
  7. messedup

messedup Platinum IL'ite

Very well written. Har kisiko mukammal jahan nahi milta kabhi zameen to kabhi aasman nahi milta. Heard recently three boys met an accident and died on the spot. Two of them were only sons of two millionare brothers and third one was the only son of their servant. We have life but do not value this and want to run as if we are going to become millionaire and what if we become. Will we get the same health and life?

nandinimithun likes this.
  8. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Very important topic Nandu :innocent:. In this busy world time management is so much essential .Balancing everything in life is the mantra . Loved the mission part too !:hearteyes:

nandinimithun and Star25 like this.
  9. nandinimithun

Thank you darling sugar candy

10. nandinimithun

Thank you for the comment @Star25....
    Honestly the idea of mission statement came when i was talking to my friend....
    Thank you

Star25 likes this.