1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Why Did You Quit Your Career?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Mira20, Apr 28, 2018.

1. Mira20

Mira20 New IL'ite

Hi ladies,

I'm currently doing an academic research on women's intention to quit careers. I understand this is not the right forum to post this, but I see many women have documented their stories about quitting their careers post marriage in this forum. Hence, I thought of writing a post here to attract the audience to this research question.

It's quite common to understand women decide to quit careers due to marriage, childbirth or husband's relocation. But I am willing to here more in-depth dark side reasons that women face due to their 'gender'; i.e. barriers to career advancement just because you are a woman.

So, I would welcome women to post here on the reasons - what made them leave their careers? You can either indicate the reason in one line or even document a few lines of the stories that led you to quit your careers.

I look forward to hearing your stories.

Cheers,
    Mira

2. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I quit my job after pregnancy and I did some courses to update myself as am home now.
    However..the urge to get back to a career is not yet there.
    My reasons..

1)Never really very career oriented.
    2) I do get some small happiness being at home, making snacks and cooking fresh meals for hubby and kiddo though.
    3) I enjoy going to gym everyday, taking care of myself, watching movies a lot at home and getting everything done within the week so that weekends are free.
    4)I don't have to worry about a 2 week vacation to India but I have a two month vacation every time coz am home.
    5) I am not confident if I will manage work and home coz it is stressful and I feel why I should go through that when we are happy with whatever little we have.

My reasons are not very strong ones.Not working outside has it cons too like you do get bored at home, you don't see many people and people accuse you of not having an identity.I am ok with my Identity as a housewife right now and it is just a choice which I made.

Mehana, PoojaShah, sumalynux and 2 others like this.
  3. rupz

rupz Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    My Mil made me quit my job...stating I need to know how to make the "family life" and working women is often irresponsible toward home and has attitude and earning gives her freedom to do anything..
    My DH always listens to MOMMY DEAREST...

I m looking for a job now after arguing for almost 6 years of marriage and hopefully will work soon.

messedup likes this.
  4. bhagya85

bhagya85 Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    I quit my job during my marriage as i have relocate to mumbai as my husband was working there.I had plenty of job opportunities there than for him in my city. I got a job offer in mumbai within a month or so but i had my pregnancy confirmation on the same day. This job location was quite far from the place where i lived,also i started having my pregnancy symptoms like nausea..tiredness etc., So i decided not to join the company.Later I moved out of the country,it has been 8 years now since i quit. Reasons for not getting back to job
    1) No support to take care of kid here
    2) Career break makes it very difficult to get a job.
    3) Not much of financial crunch (husband earns better)
    4) Lot of ME time, never have to worry about leave for going to india, I am able to balance my family and me very well so now am scared to leave my happy zone.
    5)I am able to justify to myself that am able to support my kid and my husband in their hard times and give my best as a parent to my kid.
    Though i have above reasons ,sometimes i feel bad that i just let go my career in no time. The dilemma always dwells whether to get to back to job or not.

Mehana and anika987 like this.
  5. chasingdreams

chasingdreams Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

I was /am career oriented .Was employed in a tier 1 IT MNC. I quit my job to relocate with my husband post my marriage. Found a job in the new country ,but had to quit again after I had my daughter (since I did not have any support to bring her up).Once she started pre school, i joined a company which is not a big MNC, the pay is not great either.But the boss is very accommodating when it comes to my child, i also have flexible working hours.At this point, my priority is not the amount in my monthly pay cheque.
    In my previous job, I was overlooked during appraisal and a male colleague was given better rating. When I enquired about this to my PL, he replied that there is a higher chance of women relocating/quitting after marriage (and i was at a marriageable age) . He felt keeping the male colleague happy was a better bet . He consoled me by saying, dont worry you are presentable,smart and capable. you will definitely go places. :rolleyes:

6. shama146

shama146 Gold IL'ite

Prior to marriage I was working in Gurgaon. Post marriage I relocated to a small town so had to quit job. Within 6 months of marriage I found a job, but hubby was against it. Deep inside his fears were that once I m financially independent I won't be in his control. That was the end of my career.

hope11 likes this.
  7. deepshika1

deepshika1 New IL'ite

Prior to my wedding, I was a web developer and I was doing great.
    My main reason to quit was because I wanted to start a family. But the fire within me hasn't extinguished entirely.
    Now that my kid has grown up and is a little more responsible than he was before, I am thinking I can get back into the field.
    Maybe not become a full time web developer, but I could definitely handle a few php tutorials like these to enthusiastic web developers and help them out in any way I can.
    I could use suggestions, so anyone feel free to help me out and thanks in advance!

8. reca

reca Silver IL'ite

Hello @deepshika1 :
    Good to hear you were a Web developer. I have started a thread Learning Group For Web Technologies where I post my web Learning updates. May be when you find time, you can update us about the new developments in web technologies / guide us in this area if you wish :)

9. messedup

messedup Platinum IL'ite

I quit my job before marriage as i was being shifted to various places and was tired of traveling. My family was looking out for a match so i just thought that i will find the job near my future home that could be anywhere. But its 7 years of marriage now and not able to even search for it. First was the adjustment with new family then got busy with kids. Now dont have any confidence left for going out.

10. staycool90

staycool90 New IL'ite

I was working in MNC post marriage but couldn't continue there for long because I couldn't handle the pressure at the job..Also at one point of time I felt so stressed that I decided I should quit. Since we were planning for baby I thought leading a stress free life would be good for that. Right now I am in TTC journey, hope I could get back to my career someday after having kid.