1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Police At Doors- Word Of Caution To Parents In Us

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by Vedhavalli, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Vedhavalli

Vedhavalli Platinum IL'ite

I was busy cooking lunch today, kid is in Easter/Spring break, was playing in living room. Suddenly I heard kid talking to someone from patio. I thought it's neighbor kids who usually talk to my kid.
    But the conversation was bit longer than usual. I thought maybe neighbor kids calling to play or showing some new toy.
    Then kid came back to living room.
    After 5 min, the doorbell rang I went to open to get shocked! There was 2 cops
    I was really tensed, said hi.
    The cop asked me " what you teach to kid"?
    I said " usual the kindergarten stuff"
    He was in grin voice asking telling me" why did you tell the child, if she throws bad behavior or jumps, don't eat food ,cops will take her"
    I was blank! I said just to make her good.
    Then he explained, what happened.
    The cops came to check something else, suddenly they heard my daughter asking, if she can ask a question. Cop said ok.
    She had asked, " my mom said you will catch me if don't eat, if I jump or don't sleep, is that true"? And are you coming to catch me?
    The cop said No.
    Then they came home to tell me not to teach kids cops will catch you if they behave bad.
    He told me, kids wouldn't be friendly with us in case of emergency or anything when they need help , pls tell them we help not catch innocent kids.
    I was mute , apologized sincerely
    Pls don't ever tell little kids that cops will catch you. I ended up in warning from cops!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    Shisha, paru123, Chocolatey and 10 others like this.

2. Deborah

Deborah Gold IL'ite

Your kid's innocence got you into trouble. The cops have a point though.If the kids are scared of them,they wouldnt approach them in emergency.But what to do? This is what our parents said to us when we were kids.LOL .Good to know though. Thanks for sharing this incident. Somebody I knew had a very smart pre schooler.They were scared to even scold her in public places because she had been taught in school that she can complain to the cops if feeling threatened,be it her own parents.Very difficult to discipline kids in US the traditional way.

sindmani and Vedhavalli like this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Vedhavalli, your child did approach a cop and ask the question. So, your words that 'cops will catch you' didn't really impact her negatively. It is not much fun to have cops ringing the doorbell, but I think with time you will look back at this and laugh. : ) You have quite a bright child with a vivid imagination.

On a more serious note, your advice to Indian parents is a timely one. Thank you for sharing. We don't want kids to avoid getting help from cops when needed!

Life in America is so complicated. : ) I guess Indian parents better stick to "soja beta warna Gabbar aa jayega*" : )

*sleep dear child or Gabbar will come

Shisha, paru123, Sandycandy and 6 others like this.
  4. Deborah

Deborah Gold IL'ite

:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Sandycandy likes this.
  5. Vedhavalli

Vedhavalli Platinum IL'ite

:laughing:kid is way too smart! From living room windows she saw police cas , She was standing in 2 ND floor patio to ask them if they are coming to catch her?
    She even got chocolates from the cops. I used tell her, kids who eat chocolates are the one to taken by police. :sweatsmile:
    I really don't know how handle my daughter.
    Nothing works on her, it's her way. Whatever be.o_O

You gals, should have seen me in seeing cops at door, I was scared as hell, thought 100 things in my mind.
    Cops said, you're daughter is smart for 4 yr. I was smiling sheepishly. She was:cheer:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  6. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

@Vedhavalli So cute your daughter!!
    Pinch her cheeks ( soooftly) for me will you ?

@Rihana ,
    I think the mordern version is "soja beta warna wifi gayab ho jayegi " : )

PS- Is it "wifi gayab ho jayegi" or "wifi gayab ho jayega" ?

7. lavii

lavii Gold IL'ite

OMG lol kids these days just say "Bring it on " :roflmao:

This reminds me an incident that happened when DD was 2.5 yrs old .We had a family day at work and all our colleagues came with family .The moment I introduced my Boss to my husband and DD she slapped him straight on face:BangHead: .When my Boss asked Dint you like me ? She said you hit /scold mom when she comes work late or is on leave so I dont like you :nono:

While my Boss carried that angry case for a while his wife was happy asking my DD to give one more shot

All this was because when she wanted me to stay home or go office late I was telling her my Boss will hit me If I am late ...Never in my dreams i thought she will slap my Boss :smash2:

8. Sabitha

Sabitha Gold IL'ite

So Cute baby!!

Vedhavalli likes this.