1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Oh My Darling…..

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Vandhuamma, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Vandhuamma

Vandhuamma Silver IL'ite

I happened to see some videos on YouTube ( SIT Series, which anyone of you are familiar with, it is s**ty ideas trending…) in which the husband and wife are addressing each other as baby…..

I was wondering how they will address their own baby coz then there will be say 3 or 4 babies in the house and when the wife calls baby who will answer, hus or baby…. Heheee… ( I know it is silly)

My grandmother (very common in those days) would never take my grandfather’s name or use any formal name to address him ( some call Anna, anakoo) The way to initiate a conversation was to stand in front of him and simply start talking. Of course, her words were loud and clear enough that even if she doesn’t appear in front of him the tone and the words made everyone aware that these words ever for him only. Then my mom too used a similar approach wherein she would start talking and my dad will understand that she is talking to him. Now being brought up in such a background I too follow the same procedure and start talking so we never required to call any names such as baby, shonu, beta, darling etc.

I somehow started my mom’s method to talk to my husband. Of course the ladies in my family including me and blessed with audible decibels that we don’t require a formal addressing.:roflmao::roflmao:

Now coming to the point, I would like to know from you ladies how you address your better half. I am not asking you to mention the words you use to pamper your DH but on a regular conversation, do you address him with his first name or some nickname.

Between, I take his name in all occasions when asked and amidst any conversations among relatives. My mom is still not used to it and mention as “ childname dad”….

2. MonikaSG

MonikaSG Platinum IL'ite

"Suno". Going from generations the same name. If we have to tell someone about him we say "inka". It happen sometimes that other person got stuck to " kinka" and it is hard to explain "kinka":p

3. iamsrihere

iamsrihere Platinum IL'ite

I call him 'dude' and if i have to refer him just say 'he' to my inlaws and they understand..If its to others or my parents just say his name.

Vandhuamma, shravs3 and Sandycandy like this.
  4. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

With grandmas, it was either "Ennanga or Sunoji" or "go call your grandpa".

I have seen some aunties calling their spouse by name. The traditional ones used to get offended by it, so some used to just play according to the surroundings. N mostly the kids were the messengers "go call your uncle".

My mom n mil use an endearing word each (different) to call their respective spouses. They don't use their names to call out, but moved on from "ennanga or sunoji" too.

Currently, we use nicknames, don't use dear or darlings (maybe because our previous generations used this), n don't call out each other by names either.

Ofcourse there's no discomfort in calling out or saying his name casually when we address in a formal or outside setting. But if I am talking to relatives esp d traditional ones or elders about my dh, I go with "Avanga or Unhone or "your <Bhaiya / peran> " n strictly refrain from using names.

5. Vandhuamma

Vandhuamma Silver IL'ite

Nice way to address "inka"

6. Vandhuamma

Vandhuamma Silver IL'ite

Even I say," he doesnot understand" probably since he is the only "he" in the family everyone understands.
    Between my FIL passed away before our wedding.

fourthaugust likes this.
  7. Vandhuamma

Vandhuamma Silver IL'ite

My DH calls me by name and insists that I too call him back by name. But then I said I will take some time to do it.
    Staying with in laws i dont think it will be a good move.
    Of course I have members in my DH's family who address by names. Esp. a recently married couple and it is quite obvious given the fact that they were classmates.
    Just because they got married she cant change the way she used to address him for 4-5 yrs. While all the members talk behind them I do fully support the new couples. :)

8. fourthaugust

fourthaugust Gold IL'ite

Nice thread.....by the way even I am pretty traditional in matters of calling my husband:).....i do not call him by name in front of elders...so it is always "sun rahe ho"...or for reference 'ye a gaye'
    While hubby calls me by name , I am hesitant by calling by his name in front of his parents. But I love to call him my son's name ke papa :) or surname ji...it sounds funny...but my favourite one is mr. My name :)

9. fourthaugust

fourthaugust Gold IL'ite

Nice thread.....by the way even I am pretty traditional in matters of calling my husband:).....i do not call him by name in front of elders...so it is always "sun rahe ho"...or for reference 'ye a gaye'
    While hubby calls me by name , I am hesitant by calling by his name in front of his parents. But I love to call him my son's name ke papa :) or surname ji...it sounds funny...but my favourite one is mr. My name :)

Vandhuamma, GeetaKashyap and Rampuri9 like this.
  10. kavithas2217

kavithas2217 Bronze IL'ite

My mom calls my dad as Appaji...enna
    My Mil addresses my FIL as Reddygaru...oya...evandi
    When I got married, i asked my Co-sis how to address my husband, she said that my inlaws family is ok if i call my husband with his name...so i always address him with his name :)