1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Moving to Rhode Island...

Discussion in 'Indians in Rhode Island' started by sandhyadevan, Jul 25, 2012.

1. sandhyadevan

sandhyadevan New IL'ite

Hi, We are planning to move to Rhode Island from chicago. It would be great if someone could suggest a good apartment with indian community, drivable distance to indian groceries/n other grocery shopping malls...

Would like to know about the cost of living, safety, weather conditions(storms, harsh winters)

Also wanna know if there are near by hospitals/gyno's which would be of great help.

Thanks,
    Sandhya

2. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Sandhya,

My hubby drives to Providence from where we live, so I did make a little research of my own as we plan to move soon. :)

If your hubby's office is in providence, then apartments anywhere in Cranston, Pawtucket, Smithfield, Warwick or Providence works good. A drive of less than 20 mins would take you to heart of providence.

Indian communities as I saw were more in Briarwood Meadow. ( Please google their website )
    Otherwise, the ones I liked were..
    Chateau Properties, Cranston
    The Ledges, Jhonston
    Royal Crest Apartments, Warwick
    Willowbrook Apartments

I know that there is an Indian restaurant in providence or around but not sure of the Indian grocery. But, Boston is just an hour's drive from there and here there are many many indian groceries. So, a drive once in 2 weeks should work if you dont find any.

Cost of living is far far less than MA. :) Weather is as good as MA. A little snow, a little sunshine and little rain. Some years entire east coast has a harsh winter, well, that is how it is. There are areas which has good ratings in safety. The crime rate is lott low.

Hospitals and gynecs, well that you need to check after you decide for a place to live. But, whatever it is.. the state by itself is very small, so everything is drivable in 30 mins or so. Dont have to worry at all.

Hope the info helped.

3. sandhyadevan

sandhyadevan New IL'ite

Preeti,
    Thank u so much! That was so quick a response :)
    Will get in touch with u, in case I have more questions :)
    Thanks again...

Cheers,
    Sandhya

4. Meeta

Meeta Bronze IL'ite

Hey Preethi, r u in Pawtucket.......OMG, hope u remember me probably when I was active 3-4 years back in IL and then I was in Maryland.
    We have moved to RI 3 years back and staying in Pawtucket, 697 east avenue........would love to meet you if you are around.
    Do you ever come to the park in Hope street, Lipit park, we often go there with our son, if you stay around, let's meet up yaar........would love to see you in person.........
    Lov, Meeta

5. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Meeta,

I wonder how I missed this post of yours. Sorry for the delay to reply. Yeah, we have moved to Pawtucket.. Your name does ring a bell .. Have I ever been bad to you when I was moderating ?? :p I guess that's how friends in IL would mostly remember me.. :))

Guess what I stay 10 mins from where you live. We don't go to lipit or hope but do go to slater park with Abhishek ( my 3 year old boy ) We could meet up sure sometime. I visit 1 Randall square too btw, ;)

Do message me your email in private messaging.. Will catch up soon. :))

6. Meeta

Meeta Bronze IL'ite

Hi Preethi,
    We also go to Slater park in summer when they start the Carousel there. For my son Anshu (he will be 4 in July end), it's a big hit. So, we have not visited it this year, waiting for summer to come. And my hubby, is fond of fishing there.
    My email is mishra.sasmita1979@gmail.com. F
    or my son we go to Children's Medical Group at 100 Highland Avenue.
    We will surely meet up some day.T
    take care.
    Meeta

7. ishumk

ishumk New IL'ite

Hii ladies am new to this community.. my husband n me are shifting to Woonsocket Rhode Island .. his office is cvs .. can anyone help us to find a rented house or apartment near his office .. with good transportation since v don hav a car yet ..
    TIA ....

8. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Ishu,

You have an apartment on Smithfield Avenue, Lincoln..called Friendship terrace.. Very reasonable. Also, there are more than a couple near Lincoln and North Providence.. Many CVS employees live around there..
    Ask your husband to get in touch with Indian employees in CVS.

9. ishumk

ishumk New IL'ite

Thank you so much fr the info .. but since v don hav a car now .. traveling would b little difficult from dere.. we were thinking of diamond hill apartments or walnut hill apartments.. do u know anyone staying there a little review would b really helpful..., Thanks in advance

10. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

No, Ishu, I haven't heard about those apartments nor do I know anyone who would.. Best luck