Futurology

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Gauri03, Aug 20, 2016.

1. harinideep

harinideep Gold IL'ite

Anyone of u seen black mirror series in netflix? It shows how tech ll advance n the consequence . For example in one of episodes, they ll take copy of a human by taking all memory n forming a copy and that copy ll do all chores

kaniths likes this.
  2. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Yeah, really!! I think they're taught this in journalism school. US publishing is one of the most patronizing, depressingly paternalistic enterprises ever conceived. I think I have already ranted about substituting Sigourney Weaver for David Attenborough in the US versions of the BBC wildlife DVDs. Apparently the natives cannot fathom a British accent. And Americanized Harry Potter!!! Now don't get me started!!
    :icon_writing::BangHead:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  3. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Atleast he figured the rocket science of space business! :grinning:

Gauri03 likes this.
  4. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Wondering, any plans to revive this thread, as in, actively resurrect this thread with contributions.

Much happening in robotics, AI, trans-humanism. A heady bunch of bemused neurites with exemplary track record should not lose out on the latest sciences, debates, and innovations bursting in the market.

Thoughts?

kaniths and Gauri03 like this.
  5. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Any time I browse through my Feedly list I keep thinking I should post this or that on Futurology. As always actions have a hard time keeping up with intentions. I'm going to try to make weekly updates to begin with and see if that helps build momentum. Participation will never be stellar anyway but a couple of weekly contributors should be enough to keep the thread going.

kaniths and Archanaanchan like this.
  6. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Much happening in science and technology that I am lagging to keep up with the latest ideas and innovation in the field. I echo that sentiment. When I skim my Feedly, I am enthused and snooze a lot of articles for later reviews but that snooze turns into indefinite sleep. Perhaps a thread like this would be a shot in the arm to actively engage in science and technology discussions whilst inducing participants to catch up with the blazing news.

We fail. We try. We try again. May be kaniths can come up with a comicana word for such blunder forth where intentions are marvelous but execution is sluggish. Then, we try again.

Of course, weekly and active contributors can swimmingly run the show. I have never been hindered by the lack of audience in any of my self-indulgent enterprises as having even a trifle participants with sustained participation is fulfilling. We don't have to paraphrase media articles into our self-worded essays but mere pointers and trending recommendations and 'what do you think of Vingcard hack' pokes should suffice to keep the thread afloat between other drawn out interactions.

7. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

9FD95425-B627-47CF-B734-D7E2CA119164.gif
    :sweatsmile:

Yes! Let's do this (again!) :lol:

031647CC-91D3-4DA1-A24A-3E01129A7E11.gif

Happy to troll! :grimacing::tonguewink:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  8. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Here, my top (most) favorite news for April.

1. Facial recognition tech catches a fugitive in huge crowd at Jacky Cheung Cantopop concert in China | South China Morning Post

"The fugitive was among 50,000 people at the pop concert in Nanchang".

I thought that's an impressive work by AI. :cool:

2. Machine learning spots treasure trove of elusive viruses | Nature.com

"Researchers have used artificial intelligence to discover nearly 6,000 previously unknown species of virus".

New
    viruses now have names! :cheer:
    Awesome! My Kudos!

3. ‘Cow Fitbits’ and artificial intelligence are coming to the dairy farm. | The Washington Post

...an artificial-intelligence system named Ida has pinged his phone with helpful alerts: when his cows are chewing the cud, when they’re feeling sick, when they’re ready for insemination.

“There may be 10 animals out there that have a real problem, but could you pick them?”

I'm amused and appreciative at the same time! You tell me! :laughing:

Gauri03 likes this.
  9. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Yes we do. A show more fitting the 'Technology horror' genre if any such exists! Future is scary! :coldsweat: I prefer to live and die simple like ancient times! :sweatsmile:

10. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

The arrest is a clever chase. AIs are good with faceprints given the prints are not distorted but even with slightest touch-ups, AIs are confounded. Reminds me of that riff in Lemony Snicket Series in which Count Olaf gulls a computer with an oversized turban covering his forehead. Beards and mustaches may similarly dupe the gullible AI. However, in that schematic representation of facial nodes in that article, nodal distances probe a variety of hardline measurements. Perhaps a beard or mustache might not be that foolproof if the distance between the tip of the nose and the edge of your eye is intact. Fugitives may well resort to plastic surgery to alter these dimensions, slightly puff up the and tuck in the chin, so forth.

Yips! Humans still outclass AI with their facial recognition skills. And those human super-recognizers are an intelligence squad. We may guess fairly well in recognizing even with slight deviations but AI will beat us with their speed and accuracy. Did you ever wonder how swift we are to recognize the caricatures of politicians in cartoons. Just with a fop of hair we recognize Donald Trump. Heh! AI might lose ground on our little jokes.

kaniths and Gauri03 like this.