1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Help! Relocating To Bay Area Frm Singapore.

Discussion in 'New to Bay Area' started by Xaria, Jun 4, 2016.

1. Xaria

Xaria New IL'ite

Hello Lovely Ladies,
    My husband has an offer to work in SF. We have a 3yr old daughter. Wuld highly appreciate if you ladies can take some time out to answer my numerous questions.
    1. My husband will be on H1B visa? Being his dependant will I be able to work? If , not which visa will I need in order to work? What is an EAD?
    2. What areas would you suggest to live with 3yo? What are the rentals like? We would like to stay in child friendly neighborhoods. Any real estate sites that I can refer to?
    3. Schools/ Childcare: I have no idea about US schooling system. My daughter goes to a full day (9-6) pre-school here. What are the pre-school hours over there? Are pr-schools state funded? What is the fees for pre-school/day care.
    4. Part-time cleaners/Nannies/baby-sitter: What is the deal on this? Are part-time helpers/cook easily available? What is the hourly/monthly rate? How reliable are nannies/ baby-sitters?
    5. Cost of living: Besides rental, what do you spend most on? Entertainment, enrichment classes for kids, dine out? How much do you expect to spend monthly to lead a comfortable life. I am not looking for breakdown but an average estimate would help.

Any other helpful tips, suggestions? I know a lot of questions, but it is a very big move and I would like not to have any shocks later. Thanks much.

2. PriyaFrnz

PriyaFrnz New IL'ite

Hi, So did you move to bay area SF ?

3. niharika2188

niharika2188 New IL'ite