1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My Life Journey With My Special Kid!

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Swethasri, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Teachers don’t know what behavioral therapy is.
    If your son is 7 and having expressive speech of 18 months then the lag must be found. A behavioral therapist knows what to test for and find why the delay despite speech therapy. The speech therapist will not know as much about such things.
    There are many reasons why the speech isn’t coming forth. Since he’s already seven, it most likely is that he has a receptive language issue. Which means he doesn’t understand language at his age level. That’s different from cognition. He may be very smart but the language areas in his brain are different. You can train them to slowly understand the nuances of language. When he figures out what most things mean it will help build his vocabulary.
    There are multiple things to look at. His processing speed, listening comprehension, visual learning skills, general knowledge, receptive language etc. When you fix gaps in all these areas he will get better at expressive speech. It isn’t a quick fix but the behavioral therapist will be able to train you while she works with him. There are various kinds of behavioral therapies - aba, floor time, RDI etc. There are many kinds of aba too(discrete trial, naturalistic etc). He might benefit from a therapist who does a combination of naturalistic aba and RDI.
    In the mean time, at home you can concentrate on gaps. Does he know all the things in the house, rooms, what is where in each room, answer where questions(one word answer) etc? Start from there and teach him things he doesn’t know. The more you enhance his knowledge the better it is for him to talk about these things.

Hope this helps

Swethasri and Shanvy like this.
  2. Mathima

Mathima Bronze IL'ite

Ya .. He knows ma now.. I'm working on it.. But no one word answer for all. Only certain things.. And the therapist of my kid told me that his understanding capacity has been increased now and he will slowly start to talk. And the main thing is he feel lazy to do certain things. And doing certain things if only instructed by certain people. He is fixed that writing and reading means only myself n playing means his dad.. No inverse. As of now I can't give more one to one due to my health.
    Let's see. In the meantime looking for behaviour therapist too nearby our area..
    May god helps us.
    Ya.. It really did.. Thanks ma..

Swethasri, Shanvy and Laks09 like this.
  3. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

That’s ok. Keep expanding it with the things outside, things from books, animal habitats etc.

If he is processing more then keep working on his receptive language more. Expressive speech is hard to predict but receptive language helps. A regular 7 yrs old is always learning from his environment. Your son needs to be taught things. Since a regular seven year olds learning never stops you have to constantly aim for teaching him more(types of vehicles, difference between who/what/where) etc. And since most kids on the spectrum cannot generalize easily you have to do it with various pictures or objects.

Think about it. He’s 7. He’s being made to work in therapy one on one and again at home. It isn’t easy. He’s not lazy just not motivated after working so much. He just needs to be given the right kind of motivator.
    He’s smart. He’ll do it for those who reinforce the work the way he wants it. Read about positive reinforcers in aba therapy, especially high value positive reinforcers. Try to positively reinforce and it will make things much easier for you.

Children with ASD have trouble with generalization. If he learns a skill from one person, he has to be given opportunities to do it with multiple people. It’s a lot of work but therapists do help with this a lot.
    This also might be due to OCD tendancies that many kids on the spectrum have. It’s best to break it right now by slowly doing one game with him for a few mins and giving a very high value reinforcer and slowly increasing the time.

I understand your health concerns. It’s best you delegate to a therapist and supervise. You do need to be aware of what his program looks like and what underlying issues need work.
    Not all therapists are good. Hope you find someone to help you. Look for parent reviews. I’ve found other moms with similar kids have a good idea of which bcba will work and who is a good fit for your child.

Good Luck!

Swethasri likes this.
  4. Mathima

Mathima Bronze IL'ite

Ya . sure..
    Hmmm.. OK.
    Thanks for ur valuable thoughts . will work on it..

Swethasri and Laks09 like this.
  5. Mathima

Mathima Bronze IL'ite

Hi all.. Read about the coconut oil's good effect on ASD kids. Is that true.. Anyone tried?

6. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

Yes. True. You can give a teaspoon or use in cooking.

Swethasri likes this.
  7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

good quaity coconut oil and organic turmeric are said to be good cant really pull up articles to substantiate it. same goes for brahmi/vallarai. siddha advocates vallarai

Swethasri and Mathima like this.
  8. srilaxmi

srilaxmi Silver IL'ite

Hi everyone,

I need some suggestions to control my kid, has mirco Hydrocephalus now he is 6yrs, gets irritated with small issuses and start beating and biting himself n others, he is so pampered never listens to me, and his concentration levels are so low, i couldnt make him to learn anything. working with physiotherapies and speech therapies, he cant walk when i do exerices never coperates and cries alot to make me stop doing that, and from past 1year he started saying some words, it is becoming very difficult to tackle him, please give me some tips how to control his behaivour problems.

9. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

Look into ABA therapy

10. Mathima

Mathima Bronze IL'ite

Can u see changes after using ? If so means can u tell those changes? Thanks in advance