What Traits Make People Naturally Likeable Or Highly Popular?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Naari, Dec 20, 2017.

1. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Good listening.
    When you are talking to me and I am thinking of what to say next, my eyes will let you know that I am not with you. You will dislike me from that moment on.

Focusing on the person talking, and listening. Really listening... looking at the person eye to eye.; waiting for the person to finish, asking questions without being or even sounding remotely judgmental, or putting them down.

Basically, good listening, leads to building a trust that they will be treated with dignity and respect.

It is that trustworthiness that makes one likable.

As for online interactions... I am not sure what the traits are :)

It is difficult to read a statement in the same tone as the writer intends.
    I have misunderstood many posters intentions as I had read it in the wrong tone. Despite many apologies later I could never heal that scar of the initial damage I had done.

2. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

A person with healthy self esteem, positive attitude , good humour sense, good dressing sense is liked by all and will be a charismatic personality.

GeetaKashyap, kaniths, Naari and 6 others like this.
  3. Anisu

Anisu Platinum IL'ite

I have seen some people who ar more likeable inspite of their flaws which only the close friend knows are..

1: The person's cheerful face...never ever the emotions would reflect on the face.
    2: Come what may...the smile never fades..which is actually deceiving...
    I did like these traits in that person.

some people are liked because of their helping nature and their talktive nature and also the positive attitude towards life inspite of the tough situations they face.

sindmani, Naari, nakshatra1 and 4 others like this.
  4. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:I pondered about the question differently and laterally quite out of box. Like it or not, I am writing it down.
    2. the question of liking a person because of their (special) traits or qualities only when we do not suffer from splitting headache, chronic stomach problem or especially when we are terribly hungry and the feast is ready.
    3. However or and whatever the trait be and howsoever it is great, you can not instantly like one on empty stomach.
    4. the foremost requirement before liking or disliking him or her is that one should be in happy disposition or extremely sad and when the other empathise. A person may like instantly someone and the very same person dislike him for ever. instant liking a person dies instantly after familiarity because the latter breeds attempts!
    5. all other possible traits my fellow members have discussed above are indisputable though.
    Thanks and regards.
    God Bless.

5. Sunburst

Sunburst Platinum IL'ite

In addition to the above traits, for me it has to be how genuine one is in both speech and actions . They are confident in their own skin and don't put up an image. When they smile or talk, it radiates some spark and positive vibes across and instantly we gravitate towards them. Nobody likes a person who comes across as phony no matter how witty or rich they are.
    Then are people with whom we find a certain connection not because of their looks or wit but because we feel we have something in common and we can laugh together.
    Also, some have this unique ability to laugh at themselves which is a rare , in fact almost unheard of , trait and that's something I really appreciate.

6. momsky

momsky Gold IL'ite

beauty, brains, attitude, temperament

kaniths, sindmani, Naari and 2 others like this.
  7. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Agree, nobody likes a person who is constantly thinking about the negative.
    saying the right thing at the right time- totally agree, I have seen tons of ppl who have no words of consolation for a person grieving the death of a near one or even to uplift someone..Those few thoughtful words can lighten the situation or make the other person feel so much better.

kkrish and sindmani like this.
  8. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Kkrish, that is so correct. A good listener is what we need sometimes.. Most ppl are so enthusiastic about telling their story or chipping in with some relevant episode, that they often miss half the conversation of the other.. If the talker is smart, they better shut up! No point ranting. A combo of this point & @ashneys point above of knowing the right thing to say at the right time would make for an instantly likeable person.

kkrish, that's the inherent shortcoming of written communication. There is no chance to see the other person's face or tone. What we interpret is a guess to a great extent based on the context and our judgment. If I were you, I wouldn't worry too much.. Keep going on.. If things have to change they will, otherwise who cares?

I myself, met some ppl who I hit off pretty well with on ILs for a short period, but then so many things were misunderstood after that & things went way south. And as I see it now, they apparently embraced every single thing that they thought was wrong with ILs & the anger was taken out on the very ppl who stood with them from the beginning! Classic case of misplacement of anger & BS! Kkrish, lesson is we keep going on , no matter what. This is an online forum; we meet ppl , get to know them & befriend them. If it's a good one, it will last or it will pass.. Life goes on..

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
    MonikaSG, kkrish and sindmani like this.
  9. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Thanks @Naari
    Your words made me feel good.
    I do enjoy good camaraderie with a lot of folks on IL; you too :)
    Yes, life has taught me to nurture those who are with me and not worry much about those who are not.

Sunburst and Naari like this.
  10. Prathiv83

Prathiv83 New IL'ite

I think it's humility that attracts people more than anything else..

kaniths likes this.