1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Myth Of Love Jehad

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Balajee, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

When I saw the video of a guy being beaten to death and burnt in Rajasthan curiously i had no reaction and was later shocked to find that there was no reaction. The poor victim, a migrant Muslim labourer from West Bengal, was killed by a man belonging to the majority community who suspected the laborer of having an affair with his sister, a cas of “love jehad”.Of late such incidents against minorities have become so frequent that you just become numb, not angry. People keep getting killed for cow slaughter, even if they possess cows for milking and interreligious relationships also lead to violence and death.

Yes “love jehad” within inverted commas. This is one of the modern day myths that has influenced even the courts and law and order organisations like National Investigation agency. Any marriage between a Muslim man and nn-Muslim woman is deemed as “love jehad”. Their private spaces are being invaded by the state. (And what if a Muslim woman marries a Hindu man? Is it love “Ghar Wapsi?”)

Looking at the electronic media you would believe there is a massive nationwide conspiracy to lure Hindu girls and convert them to Islam by getting them involved in love traps with minority boys. That is utter rubbish. What purpose does it serve if few souls are pulled the other way? If the purpose is to augment the minority flock and convert into a majority this simply doesn’t work. For “love jehad” to be successful, it has to be a massive operation, involving hundreds of thousands of unthinking girls open to brainwashing. The whole myth rests on the notion that girls cannot think on their own which I repeat is utter rubbish..

There is no law that prevents consenting adults from having a relationship or marrying, their faiths be damned. And law also allows people to convert freely from one faith to another. So what warrants the intervention of state organs, including judiciary here? Take the cas e of Akjhila a k a Hadiya. She is no illiterate, innocent babe who can be led by her nose by some scheming proselytizer. She is an adult educated woman ( a medical student, no less) who certainly must have known what she was doing. And if she marries on her own volition, a member of the minority community and converts to his faith, what business doies the state have in poking its nose into her private life? And a Kerala court even declares her marriage null and void taking cognizance of a report submitted by National Investigative Agency (NIA). One would have thought NIA had better things to do like ferreting out terrorists including infiltrators from across the borders. The state should have better things to do than worrying about who weds whom.

I don’t know whether the Rajasthan murderer who had the gumption to put the video of the killing on Internet has been arrested. But under the present conditions , I won’t be surprised if he is still Scot free. After all We are living in a country where an undertrial in the Akhlaq lynching case is honored on death by a central minister with his body being covered by the national flag and guys who put a price on the heads of people ranging from Pinerayi Vijayan to Deepika Padukone live happily ever after untouched by the long arm of the law.

satchitananda and Jeeves like this.

2. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

Religious harmony is the only solution. Wish a day dawns like that.

Nylaa likes this.
  3. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Easier said than done because religions by their very nature divisive and strife causing. They have this tendency to behave like exclusive clubs that look down upon non-members.

4. Nylaa

Nylaa Silver IL'ite

It's absolutely heartbreaking that these things still take place in 2017, almost 2018.

I agree with you that there is no grand conspiracy to "trick" or "brainwash" women of other faiths into converting to Islam. It's an urban myth and used to excuse violence that takes place for other reasons.

It's based on ignorance of Islam. I'm not Muslim myself (my husband is) and one of the major tenets of Islam is that a person must willingly and consciously accept Islam. When a person, male or female, converts to Islam, they must make a declaration of faith (called a Shahada) in which they state that they believe in no faith other than Islam and accept Islam as their one and only religion. This must be done for a person to be considered Muslim. There is no "tricking" people into converting.

Also, do people really think that women cannot think for themselves and are so weak minded as to be brainwashed? The vast majority people know what they believe and don't believe and aren't going to change their beliefs at the drop of a hat.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
    sindmani likes this.
  5. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

Sad truth. I have a doubt , where is humanity or if humanity does exist somewhere. . why cant each one see the other as fellow human and move on. Maybe today's kids can bring a better world. But yes lets keep faith may be one day we can achieve it.

6. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Nylaa I agree with you that love jehad is an urban myth but I disagree that there is no coercion in Islam. There are passages in quoran itself calling for killing of unbelievers. History tells us that entire nations have been converted to Islam at the point of sword. I am not holding the candle for any faith. As I have told Sindmani, all religions are divisive and behave like exclusive clubs that look down upon non-members.

7. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Even Hinduism that talks of vasudeva kutumbakam or that the whole world is a family is divisive. See the caste fissures in the faith. If e have our humanity intact we don't need religion

8. MonikaSG

MonikaSG Platinum IL'ite

Is there any way of changing the belief system? We too follow what our elders told us regarding all the general customs. Who will make them understand that what they are doing is damaging the society and not creating any respect of them anywhere else in the world rather than those few people who's following the same customs.

nehakhetal likes this.
  9. nehakhetal

nehakhetal Bronze IL'ite

One must become rationalist to think individually, independantly, depending upon facts n proof to change the belief system

10. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

MonikaSG when you say "I believe" you are saying " I don't know" One should prefer to know rather than believe. We need knowledge systems not belief systems.True all this bigotry is damaging to the society. It is hard to persuade those brainwashed from generation to generation to change. All we can do is instead of trying to chnge others, change ourselves and strike a new path.

sindmani likes this.