1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Travelling To India With 9 Month Old

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Jamelia02, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Jamelia02

Jamelia02 Silver IL'ite

hi all,
    I'm traveling to India with my 9 month old son in 5 days. its going to be a long journey and I have few concerns that I would like some advice on.

1. I tried to arrange for bassinet at delta airlines, and they mentioned it as first come first serve. Also, the dimensions of the bassinet that they have will not fit my son as he seemed to have already outgrown them. So what are the best options for me if and even if i don't get bassinet? Should I keep him in my lap all times? If I don't end up getting bassinet(even though he wont fit but at least to make him sit once in a while) will I still be given seats at aisle or in front to help me with my baby. He has been an active crawler and I'm already worried how to make him sit in tact.
    2. Other than formula milk, store bought fruits/veg and rice/oats cereals do you recommend any food for him in the flight journey?
    3. What if my son shouts or cries? How do I calm him for long hours? and what if he falls sick just in case?
    4. My in laws are travelling with me now to india. While coming back, I will be coming alone with my son. Any tips that will help me manage the journey? How should I manage to change his diapers in the flight knowing the restroom in flight is too small to fit in one person? Also, at transit if I want to use the restroom, do we have big enough restroom to take stroller inside?

5. I will be going to Coimbatore, TamilNadu and there is high prevalence of dengue fever recently and heard of many deaths due to failure in treatment of all ages especially kids. So i'm so worried about this. I did talk to my son's pediatrician and he recommended mosquito repellent with low deet and also flu shots. I'm going to get the flu shots for him but little hesitant about the repellent cream as what if my baby licks the cream on his hands. is it safe? or should i consider mosquito repellent baby patch or is there any other options?

6. Pour in any other tips that had eased your trip and your stay in india(its been 4 years since I visited india and I'm ain't sure what have changed.)

2. Jamelia02

Jamelia02 Silver IL'ite

Mammas, 36 views and no one has replied yet :(
    It will be really useful if any of you can share your experience and give me some helpful tips.
    Thank you!

3. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

I have travelled with my son alone when he was a baby.

Few tips,
    Food- I take whatever he eats n that were easier for me to carry.

Diapers- always carried extra along with wet wipes n one change mat to lay him to top n change.

Flight toilet- I believe there should be a changing tray stuck to the wall. Cant remember exactly it's been long since I got out of the baby requirements. I think the basin area slab can be used to change, even if no tray, a good strong mat can help. Check with airlines.

Transit- depends on the region of the airport. But most should fit strollers inside.

Mosquito repellent patches works, fully covering clothes. If hot region, use soft, thin clothes but fully covered. There are natural repellant creams, check with the doctor to recommend a safe one that even if baby licks, it won't do anything. Baby net also helps.

If the flight isn't 100% occupied, Ask them to give you a seat next to an empty one. If you do get, it really helps n gives more space for the baby to move around.

Don't let the baby sleep during transit, so that it gets sleep during the flight.

I used to carry his basic meds all the time, so you can carry for fever, cold n stomach (gas/ vomit/ diarrhoea). By this time you would know some patterns of the health. So take accordingly.

Cry- yes that's a tough one. I used to put him to sleep almost through out the journey apart from feeding n changing. Carried some toys, iPad/ iphone with some audios n videos that entertained him. Carry anything that the baby likes n keeps it busy. N keep the baby very cozy n comfortable. That's important.

sindmani and Jamelia02 like this.
  4. kalainat

kalainat Bronze IL'ite

I recently flew with my baby from US by Emirates. I was able to book bassinet seat in advance for one part of the journey. From Dubai I did not have bassinet and they said if available they will give, instead I booked an aisle seat. The bassinet seats has extra keg room and it was easy to keep all stuff -diaper, food, toys. From Dubai it was difficult to manage without bassinet. Had to hold baby in lap. My baby could not sleep. Seats next to me were full and it was difficult to keep all stuff. Somehow I managed.
    Bassinet seats make your journey more comfortable. Check with Delta if you could pay for the seat. It's really worth it. You can also consider paying for the extra leg room seat. That way you can manage even without bassinet.

2) the toilets in flights have a changing station. In transit you can use family restrooms which can accommodate stroller.
    3) For food carry whatever your baby eats regularly. Don't bring anything new
    4) check with Delta for carrying a stroller. In most cases the stroller has to be checked. Consider taking a baby carrier.
    5) dengue cases have reduced here. But mosquitoes are not. I use a baby net. It's not good to use repellent cream, my baby licks a lot.

sindmani and Jamelia02 like this.
  5. kalainat

kalainat Bronze IL'ite

In my case, from dubai bassinet was available but the seat beside it was occupied. So they offered me the bassinet. I did put my my baby in the bassinet when she was sleeping for a few mins.

Jamelia02 likes this.
  6. Jamelia02

Jamelia02 Silver IL'ite

oh you really think so ? That would lessen half of my worry. And yeah i even dint like the idea of repellent cream so i have ordered for natural patches.

My husband spoke to delta airlines and they said we are booked for bassinet however its first come first serve basis. So, that's the point. Din't know we should pay extra for seats with room for legs. hmm!

7. Jamelia02

Jamelia02 Silver IL'ite

They are great tips. I sure will try all of these. Thank you much.

8. googleearth

googleearth Silver IL'ite

if possible buy an extra seat and carry an airline approved car seat, the child can sit in the car seat and car seat is buckled to the plane seat. Carry minimum in hand luggage, try to fit all in a back pack and food items in a bag which you dispose so both your hands are empty at all times. when my child was older 2+ doctor suggested to give some benadryl to overcome motion sickness and get a good sleep.