Instant Pot - Recipes

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by kkrish, Dec 16, 2016.

1. raingreen

raingreen New IL'ite

I don't use the IP to ferment dosa batter. What works for me every time (and I make dosa batter every week) is to place the pot with the dosa batter beside an air vent overnight. The warm air coming from the vent ferments the batter perfectly. You could also wrap the pot in a towel or something, if you like.

I use a stainless steel stockpot to hold the dosa batter, and if you use my method, use a metal container rather than glass or plastic.

2. ZenSojourner

ZenSojourner Silver IL'ite

Sadly that is entirely dependent on how much hot air comes out of the air vent, which is unlikely to be the same in my house as in yours.

I'm looking for a method that will always work every time, hence either in the IP or in my bread maker on the "rise" setting. I keep hoping to follow in someone's footsteps rather than having to plow new ground all by myself, LOL!

In our old place I could put it on top of the fridge and it would ferment properly every time. But since then I have never found a spot in any of the 3 residences we've been in since where it would properly ferment.

3. ZenSojourner

I just scored an Instant Pot Ultra off Amazon for $30 off! YAY! I can hardly wait! So many recipes to try from this thread. Also Dosa/idli batter fermentation experimentation is about to begin. Which shall win - bread maker rise cycle, IP low yogurt setting, or IP regular yogurt setting?

Also the smallest 3 qt IP is on sale for $49, and the largest 8 qt DUO is on sale for $82. And some accessories (like the glass lid and extra pots, both SS and nonstick) are 25% off.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  4. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Readers of this thread may enjoy this article that showed up on my feed today.

Instant-Pot inventor Robert - "Wang, who has a PhD in Computer Science with a specialty in artificial intelligence, keeps three Instant Pots running at his house at all times, and he's read almost all of the reviews on Amazon — that's more than 39,000 for the most popular DUO60 6 Qt 7-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable model alone."

:beer-toast1:

ZenSojourner likes this.
  5. justamom

justamom Senior IL'ite

I am using my IP mostly for fermenting dosa batter. I fill the inner liner (till half) and set 9 hrs in yoghurt setting with vent open. Everytime get a perfect batter. Eatlier tried everything like oven, heater etc. This is the one method works fine irrespective of weather.

Naari and ZenSojourner like this.
  6. ZenSojourner

See now, THAT'S what I'm talking' about! My Ultra arrived yesterday, now all I need is to find my Vitamix, LOL! I can have a dosa once in awhile. Not sure about idli, I haven't figured out how many carbs are in idli. But nothing beats a dosa for soaking up some of that sambhar goodness. Except maybe an idli, LOL!

I found a recipe/method someone says works to make paneer in the IP but I don't want to post it until I've actually tried it myself. I started making paneer in the microwave several years ago - maybe 10 years ago? It is a lot less mess and bother but still required monitoring the temps and watching to not let it boil over. I need to compare this other method to mine and do a little experimenting - if it turns out even easier in the IP I will definitely let you guys know.

EDIT: Actually here is the link:

Instant Pot Paneer - Every Nook & Cranny

I have my doubts about doing this under pressure, even low pressure. I always heat the milk to 165F and I'm pretty sure it will get hotter than that under pressure, even if its low pressure.

Also I am at 4200 feet altitude so not sure how helpful my experimenting is to anyone at lower more normal altitude, LOL! But I will try it her way and then I'll try it my way and we'll see whose way makes it mo' better.

Go to the webstaurant store site and look for cake pans. They come as small as 3" diameter, with or without removable bottoms. Also several heights. You probably want the solid bottoms, LOL!

I read somewhere that you can use 6" diameter pans and it is 4.75" high - so 2 - 2" tall pans can fit in there but that's about all the stacking you're likely to be able to do. But I could find no corroborating information about either of the 3 qt models on the actual Instant Pot website so cannot confirm. Someone who has one would have to measure, or you could call or chat with IP customer service and see if you can get the information that way. Remember to leave some space so you can get the pans in and out - I think the actual diameter of the inner chamber is about 7" but you don't want too tight fit or you'll have trouble getting it out. Also must leave room for heat/steam to circulate.

The cake pans don't have lids but you can cover with foil and cut skewers or chopsticks down to short enough to fit in the pot but long enough to make a bridge over the top of the cake pan - then just set another pan covered with foil on top. Use those lifter tongs like my MIL used to use on her brass cookware, they sell something similar on amazon that has silicon pads. You can just poke one end through the foil to grab the pan and lift it out. Actually the Indian style is probably better, I think they're longer than the US type. I think you can reach down further with them without having to get your hand in there.

If you're REALLY crafty you could make a net out of cooking twine like a little bag and lift the whole thing out that way, LOL! I have actually done that (when steaming in regular pots). Like making a macrame plant holder. If you do that, you can use a bigger pan because you don't need to leave as much room at the sides for lifting it out. You just pull the whole little macrame baglet out with the pan inside (one for each pan if you stack them unless the pans have a solid top, otherwise they could slip sideways and splash food everywhere). COOKING TWINE eg 100% cotton - no plastic or manmade stuff that might melt in the heat.

I could not find a single accessory for the 3 qt size - not even extra pans or lids. Not even silicone lids for refrigerator storage.

EDIT: I did finally find the extra pots on Amazon, $15 for the nonstick version and $20 for the stainless steel, for the 3 qt IP. But both are out of stock. Still can't find anything else.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    Rihana likes this.
  7. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Folks can also post Non-vegetarian recipes.
    This thread is not limited to vegetarian.

Only recipes using Instant Pot though. Not regular pressure cookers.

Thanks.

Amica and Rihana like this.
  8. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Question about tadka in IP. I have the 6 quart duo with original steel inner pot. I switch on the IP, saute mode, wait a bit, then pour the oil for tadka. When it says Hot, I put in the mustard and cumin (rie, jeera). Or just mustard sometimes. Hardly splutters. I tried waiting a minute after it says Hot and then putting the mustard. A little bit better, but still no spluttering. Like, I needn't cover it with a lid. The mustard just makes an apologetic sizzling sound.

I tried waiting more time after it says Hot and then adding the mustard, but the oil starts to give out fumes (?). What am I doing wrong? The Less/Normal/More is in More setting. My friend has the same problem, so it can't be the oil or mustard seeds I am using. The same oil & mustard on gas stove works fine.

ippanel.jpg

9. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

@Rihana
    You are right. The oil does not heat up enough to splutter mustard seeds. I think the thermostat shuts of at a temperature that does not overheat the oil.

I use the Cosori press cooker (2 Qt) if I have to cook some thing with spluttered mustard seeds.

Rihana likes this.
  10. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Instapot recall alert - for those of you who have these models.
    NowThis