1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Encouraging Children

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by sanjithaa, Nov 3, 2017.

1. sanjithaa

sanjithaa New IL'ite

Hello Ladies,
    Please help me to fix this problem...My son is 8 years old now. He is doing a fair job in his studies.The only problem is his concentration. If he is good at it he can do a excellent job in his studies.But in the place we live i am not able to engage in any sports or extra curricular activities to improve his concentration.still I am trying my best to improve it.In recent years I am undergoing one more problem with him which I am really worried about.He just gets exhausted or say breaks down when he is not able to make it out in his studies. For instance , a maths problem or a spelling he tries one or 2 times if he is not able to make it out then he gets disappointed and dont want to try again...:coldsweat:... he starts having a long face or starts crying:fearful:...I am finding it really difficult inspite of encouraging him constantly..End of the day he fixes it sometimes by pacifying , sometimes by scolding but I am really having a tough time.Just imagine a simple problem would go for 1 to 1.5 hours because he doesn't want to try again...Please give your valuable suggestions...Its become an everyday story and I feel really desperate...pls help me...

2. Agniamber11

Agniamber11 Bronze IL'ite

Hi, Please dont get disappointed. This is a passing phase of kids. They are under pressure to do well in marks oriented system.
    Most kids hate math. Start with where he is getting it wrong. Give him more examples. Basics like addition, subtraction, multiplication and division have to be thorough. Multiplication tables should be by heart. There are many fun math books which can interest him.

Regarding spellings, make a list of those words where he makes mistakes. Ask him to learn. Use phonetics so that he can grasp. Writing those words again and again helps.

Some children are slow learners, they will eventually do it with little help. Most important, children need outlet. If you can engage him in some sort of creative field, it will be marvellous. Only studies will not give all round development of child.
    As kids, we used to play Name, Place, Animal,Thing. We didn't realize then, that it actually helped us in learning new places and also spellings too improved. There are many word/math board games which will interest him. Flash cards are also good.

3. MonikaSG

MonikaSG Platinum IL'ite

I too have same problem with my child. The thing I noticed is we have to be more specific about the method that should be used which they can understand at once. It is not possible all the time. For that I try various stories or I start singing or dancing or praising him. I try everything that I can. Still my pass percentage is not 100%. But these things improved his performance up to good extent. U too can try all this and share ur experience after that. :)

4. sanjithaa

sanjithaa New IL'ite

Thankyou Agniamber11 & MonikaSG for your time and suggestions...will definitely try it...The problem is he is good at doing addition,multiplication,division or sub...One day he does it so well the next day he is like as if he does not know anything about it...Thats what annoys me...Even in class test he doesnt have the patience to learn questions completely and does something.If i make him to sit and learn the same question in home he is able to answer most of the questions...When I ask him why you were in such a hurry in school to answer he just gives a smile...
    As far as I have observed for most of the time I only push him to learn.He is capable of doing well and have good creative thinking like many times the way he corelates the topics he learned in real life is just amazing...But I am worried that everytime i push him to learn...I cover only important, limited topics for him since he lacks patience but still he is hesitant...One more thing please suggest me how to improve perseverance...He wants everything to be right at first time itself...Max 2 times else starts crying...I really want him to learn the quality of not giving up....Please guide me in it....

5. MonikaSG

MonikaSG Platinum IL'ite

My child is little younger. He is in nursery class. Still some of the things are same. Restless behaviour I feel will go by time. U just keep him inform about the mistakes he do by this. But try not to show him negative side much. Don't say u don't do this but say that u can do this. To make him sit u can try like don't call him to practice or learn anything. U start doing it in front of him with full interest like this work belongs to u not to him. He could come to u when he find no Botheration from ur side. Sometimes we speak up so much to the child to do the work that he lose interest. He needs some thing interesting. Teach him as a student not as a teacher.

6. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

You might want to investigate what has been written about developing a "growth mindset" in children. Google the phrase - see if the ideas help you. For a start, see here and here.

Good Luck!:beer-toast1: