1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Shows/programs For Children

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by sanjithaa, May 1, 2017.

1. sanjithaa

sanjithaa New IL'ite

Hi all,
    I feel Programs in channels these days make children learn unwanted things completely irrelevant to there age...Can you ladies please suggest some good programs for kids in English so that they learn something useful and also there english knowledge is improved...My kid is 8 years old I do make him watch some crafts ,short stories etc but still he wants something new after few days... Otherwise he wants to watch some cartoons in local channels which I am not pleased to do...Ladies PLEASE suggest some good shows or programs in English which is intresting for kids....Awaiting your reply...
    Thanks in Advance...

2. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

If you were in the US, I would recommend the PBS channel, but I don't think you are. Instead, try searching for National Geographic for Kids or Discovery Channel. You could also try youtube for some shows:
    1. Wild Kratts is a cartoon show, but focuses on animals and nature.
    2. Odd Squad is a group of kids who learn about science.
    3. Ready Jet Go! - About space, it might be on the young side for your kid
    4. Annedroids - Another STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) Show

There is also this youtube channel, that seems to be appropriate for the age group.
    Free School

Chocolatey, sindmani and sanjithaa like this.
  3. sanjithaa

sanjithaa New IL'ite

I am in Europe now , will be moving back to India in few months...Thankyou so much...Will try it...:relaxed:

4. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

If you have Netflix, I also suggest the new Magic School Bus. It's very educational and is still very fun.

5. divya478

divya478 New IL'ite

Blippi videos on youtube are good

6. sanjithaa

sanjithaa New IL'ite

Thankyou Ladies it will be really helpful....:)

7. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

If your focus is to feed English language in your child, turn on the closed caption option in the smart television or the streaming app. CC helps to build up spelling alongside vocabulary.

There are silly and slimy kids shows, and then, there are cartoons. I am a poster child for the promotion of cartoons. I hate (hated) all those Disney and Nickelodeon kids shows. I grew up on a lavish daily dose of animation. As your kid is interested in cartoons, let's leverage on his inclination and work it up. You have a curious kid [ref: he wants something new]. You should capitalise on this natural curiosity to fuel his learning. I don't have kids. But, here is a list in no particular order that I would have made my fictive kid to sit and watch and tick the "must-see" repertory of cartoons before he finishes the first decade of his life.

(1) Peabody and Sherman: From Masa Musa to Mulan to Bartholdi to Ziryab to Caruso to Cugnot, Peabody and Sherman travel in their WABAC machine and meet all these luminaries. The show is fun and smart and bursts with wordplay. Ask your kid to jot down all the "puns" he spotted in that show. Kids hate homework but they love challenges.

upload_2017-11-13_18-35-2.png

(2) Most of the comic strips have animation adaptations. Check out Peanuts, Asterix and the like. They are crazy fun.

(3) Let's go to Europe now, wait, before that, a pit stop in Mexico. He must watch Guillermo del Toro's animation shorts and feature films. These films are aesthetic with cultural tropes and narrative.

(4) Ok, Europe. There are so many Russsian and Balkan animation artists. Start with Cartoon Saloon from the shoreline. They have nice Gaelic-toned animations. Then move ahead, German and Polish cartoons (with English subtitles). Tales of Bulgaria and Romania. Hmm, there are too many continental mascots. We will visit later.

(5) The Near East and the Far East. Let's go to the Far East to keep it short. Your kid will thank you for life if you introduce him to the animations of Studio Ghibli at the earliest. They are not cartoons, they are masterpieces.: Totoro, Howl's Moving Castle, Kiki's Delivery Service, Ponyo, Arrietty etc.

upload_2017-11-13_18-37-19.png

Why did I select the above animations?

1. Introduce the kid to international and indie animations. There's a toony world out there richer and creative than Disney and DreamWorks.
    2. These animations are way better than silly kids shows. Even in the original or integrated voiceover or closed caption format, the English language used in the program is classy and fun.
    3. When he grows up to an adult and is recruited in the next generation companies like Quantum Soft and Mississippi, those corporate grown-ups would discuss these cartoons in the private forums. Man! That Japanese anime in the 2010s was breathtaking!
    4. They stimulate him to build a personality.

Take out time to go through the animation studios and feed the right cartoons to your kid. There's Adam Eliot, Nick Park, John Lasseter, Isao Takahata, and many others. Some other time. Let me know if you need any help.

Also: What about 1010 course animations for kids? They are amazingly fun and lively. Check out this.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  8. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

Thank you @Iravati
    All this is good for late bloomers, and anyone's inner child as well.

sanjithaa likes this.
  9. sanjithaa

sanjithaa New IL'ite

10. sanjithaa

sanjithaa New IL'ite

Oh My goodness:innocent:....Thankyou so much @Iravati... So many options......Will definitely try it...Thankyou again for your time...:relaxed::)