1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Going To School

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by LakshmiKMBhat, Oct 17, 2017.

1. LakshmiKMBhat

LakshmiKMBhat Gold IL'ite

“Are you an Ayah?” asked her daughter. I was told this by the young lady who works as a care-giver in a Home for the Mentally challenged. She said she did not know how to answer the question. But after a moment’s thought, she replied that her work involved looking after a little boy. With sadness in her voice, she confided in me that if she had been able to continue her studies, her life would have been different.

She is just thirty-three years old, but has studied only up to 7th grade. Long back, about two generations ago, girls completed only primary school and were married off at a very young age. But now that is not so. I asked her the reason for her dropping out of school so early in the present times. She told me that she and her parents had lived with her maternal grandparents. Her grandfather had been a very strict person. He believed that education was not necessary for girls. They were agriculturists, and he said that education was not needed for working in the paddy fields. She was married off early, and her two children are studying in primary school. She is determined that they should get a good education.

Listening to her, I was reminded of my paternal grandfather. He grew up in a hamlet. After completing his primary education, his father took him out of school for two reasons: he had no money to provide education to his only son; and the high school was in the city far away from the village. After a few years, financial problems forced his father to move the family to the city in order to find work. This was a turning point in my grandfather’s life. At the age of 17, when he was much older than his classmates he joined school again and went on to complete BA Honours in Mathematics and English. This was in 1916. He writes in his memoirs that he would always be grateful to his father for making it possible for him (his son) to continue his education after the family’s move to the city.

My grandfather was a teacher and a very good one. During his time, many students would drop out of school for one reason or another (usually financial problems). He encouraged his students to study well and continue their education. Due to this encouragement most of them went on to acquire good jobs. He also succeeded in providing very good education to his children. That legacy continues in our family to this day. Now my grandson, that is my grandfather’s great-great grandson is going to school.

‘You can’t cross the sea merely by standing and staring at the water.’
    Rabindranath Tagore

IMG_20161113_094315.jpg

kaniths, mushroomm, SCSusila and 5 others like this.

2. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:the concluding quotation of Nobel Laureate quote is very apt. thanks for sharing. upcoming ladies ought to be proud of their parents and themselves for the education imparted.Happy Deepavali. God Bless Us all.

3. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

We always think of Education as the Degree that succeeds our name. The Paramacharya of Kanchi became the Mutt head at a very tender age when he was in the early stages of Schooling. But throughout his spiritual career, he educated himself so intensively that even scholars considered themselves way below him.
    Once the eminent archeologist of Tamilnadu was deputed to London to depose in the case regarding retrieval of a priceless statue stolen from India and was presently in the London museum. He had made extensive notes to plead the case effectively. Before leaving India, he went to Kanchi to seek the blessings of Paramacharya and briefed him on the notes he had prepared to plead the case. Paramacharya pointed out to him a vital point that needed to be covered and advised him where he could get information about it. Needless to say that was the point that clinched the issue in India's favour. Read more about it here
    Sri

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  4. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

th
    Thanks for sharing this information. Regards.

Cheeniya likes this.
  5. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Yes education is important but the desire to excel in whatever one does is more important.I have come across many uneducated women working in plant nurseries reeling off botanical names of plants and giving excellent tips to nurture them.A college student asked a farmer about his education when the latter replied "six years of schooling and seventy years of learning.Thank God-today women excel in all branches of studies.
    SLN

LakshmiKMBhat and momsky like this.
  6. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

The last few decades have seen a definite surge in the education of girl child, which is encouraging. While the general bias against a girl child and a woman remains in our society, more parents are coming forward to one child norm even if the first child is a girl. Miles to go, however.
    I have read of employers helping the house maids in their education.
    Here I am talking about present education system of degrees and diplomas only because that is what brings just jobs. It's better if aptitude takes preference.
    However there is dark side also. Just read a news report. In last few months some 60 boys and girls have committed suicide in Andhra and Telengana as they could not coupe with the rigorous pressure of coaching institutes helping them to pass the tests for engineering and medical education. Parental pressure may cause a lot of damage.

LakshmiKMBhat likes this.
  7. SCSusila

SCSusila Gold IL'ite

Getting educated in a formal school is definitely important . Equally important is getting the informal education to make achild a good human being .
    Nice to read about your grandfather's lifestory.

LakshmiKMBhat likes this.
  8. LakshmiKMBhat

LakshmiKMBhat Gold IL'ite

Thank you so much :)