1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Matrimony Ads . Modern Or Traditional?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Light, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Light

Light New IL'ite

Hi everyone!

I hope everyone is doing well.

Well, I was looking through matrimony ads with friends and we discovered something interesting.

It seems to be a very common thing too.

Many ads , state that they are ”modern yet traditional” or something like that they are very ”modern and yet very rooted”.

How can one be modern and yet traditional?

What does that mean? I find it very fascinating that one can be very modern and yet traditional.

One of my friends mentioned thay perhaps it could mean something like that a person is very independent and yet very family oriented. Right there is a major contradiction.

Looking forward to reading your thoughts.

Umanga and sindmani like this.

2. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

It usually means,expect the bride to have a job with a good paycheck while still expect her to come home and take care of the traditional home duties while keeping the head down and mouth shut.

Modern enough to want a working dil/ wife but not modern enough for her to have an independent life. They want the cake and the bakery too.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  3. prreeya

prreeya Silver IL'ite

Modern enough to all daughter to wear whatever she likes and traditional for restricting dil to wear traditional clothes.
    They are modern to allow dil to work and traditional when daughter inlaw ask about some financial matter.they are discussing...dil gets answer we will look into not your business.

AAPriya, sindmani and yellowmango like this.
  4. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

Dil should be modern enough to work in a high paying job but traditional to do all the house work like cleaning and cooking before leaving office, should hand over the salary entirely to in-laws or husband (if nuclear family), should be traditional enough to forget her parents after marriage and consider in-laws as parents but they will be modern to find a suitable groom for their daughter who respects his wife and in-laws and gives them equal weightage in life as his parents. But their son and dil should be traditional to follow that after marriage in-laws are everything to a girl.

AAPriya likes this.
  5. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

IMG_0866.JPG Here you go, modern yet traditional ! ;)

6. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

7. dimhere

dimhere Gold IL'ite

This doesn't necessarily have to have a negative connotation. I read this on my DH's profile. I fit this mould, married him, and he's been a great husband and dad so far.. so "modern girl with a traditional outlook" / "traditional girl with a modern outlook" in HIS language meant this:

Be ready to wear a saree and bindi and sing bhajans at an old relative's Sai Bhajan on Saturday from 5 pm to 7 pm.. get home quick, get into slinky black dress, hot lipstick and be the trophy wife dancing away at his office dinner from 7pm till 11 pm. And sparkle at both the places!

I can tell you that the memory of his admiration on that Saturday evening has helped me get over many other stressful evenings.

Someone who can fit into any scenario.. Or atleast, not stick out of any scenario.

Good luck for everything!

sumalynux likes this.
  8. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

Hahaha.... RBF !
    rest·ing bitch face
    noun
    informal
    noun: resting bitch face

1. (typically with reference to a woman) a sullen or scowling expression attributed to or unconsciously adopted by a person when in repose.
      "she has taken flack for what some have called her resting bitch face"
    Scientists have discovered what causes Resting Bitch Face - The ...
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/.../scientists-have-discovered-the-source-of-your-restin...

9. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

Boys can also be M-y-T. e.g., "A handsome, very soft spoken, smiling and jovial person. Though he lives abroad due to his profession, he keeps in touch with his friends,family and relatives. He is a modern yet traditional kind of an individual who values life, relationships and respects elders. He is my only son and has no siblings. He has two paternal uncles and two paternal aunts and all are well settled at Mumbai, Bangalore, Ahmedabad."

Archanaanchan likes this.
  10. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

On a positive note it can be they are asking for a present day independent bride with traditional type like bonding with both sides friends and relatives .