1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How Much Does Your 15 Month Old Weigh?

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Deborah, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Deborah

Deborah Gold IL'ite

Hi ladies.
    I am so stressed out these days. My 15 month old weighs only 18 lbs. At her 12 month check up, she was in 5th percentile for weight. Her pediatrician already has me worried. But no matter how much I try, she won't eat much. She has zero interest in food.Milk, cheese, eggs nothing . I have tried so many things.I have to forcefully spoon feed her in her high chair.She doesn't like sweet stuff like kheer or sheets.She is pretty active, doesn't stay still even for a second. God knows where she gets all the energy from.I am already dreading her 15 month appointment at the ped's. Any inputs or help will be appreciated.

2. WiseAgnes

WiseAgnes Gold IL'ite

Hi, dear
    I'm not a pediatrician, but I am a doctor myself and a mother. Here is my opinion: you have nothing to worry about as long as your child is healthy and active. It's pretty normal for children to refuse food at this age and I know no one whose child would die of starvation because they constantly refused food. When they are hungry, they eat. Every kid is unique and believe me, many absolutely healthy kids don't fit into all these graphs and tables that tell you how fast your kid should be developing. Some are shorter, some are lighter, some don't start talking until they are 3. For example, I started walking relatively late, but now I run marathons and have no problems at all.
    I'm not sure how much our kids used to weight at this age, but I remember how my husband came back from 12 month appointment and told me that the doc said that our kids were heavier and taller than other kids of their age. My husband, who is pretty far from medicine, automatically assumed that there is something wrong with our kids. It wasn't true. Now they are almost 4 and they are both happy and healthy. Although, still taller than other kids, which is not a big deal at all, especially when their parents are both pretty tall.
    So, as a summary... Don't worry. And if someone makes you feel that you are a bad mom who doesn't feed her child properly, shut them up and don't let anyone shame you. You are a good mom and I wish happiness and health for both you and your child

3. Deborah

Deborah Gold IL'ite

Thank you for your kind words. It's just that with this upcoming check up, I am really tensed.Thank you anyways.

viki123 likes this.
  4. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

@Deborah

Don't stress too much on weight, as long as they are active and happy. My son was always less that 5 percentile, but very active.
    I have stopped stressing about weigh and give him what ever he eats along with muti-vitamins.

5. Deborah

Deborah Gold IL'ite

Hello.She had her 15 month appointment today and I guess I was tense because of that.But the ped wasnt too overly concerned this time ,so I am at ease for now.Yes,I have been giving her multi vitamins for the past month.Thank you for your reply though.

6. Sweety2016

Sweety2016 Gold IL'ite

Hi deborah, exactly my problem as well.

She is 15 mo and is 8 kgs. Feeding sessions are the most dreadful and depressing...Most of the food (I make 4-5 varieties per day)I make she refuses to eat and spits it out non chalantly..But doctor told me not to worry as she is active..Occasionally, my heart pains and when I force feed she cries like anything and I end up scolding her..Afternath I feel so guilty and cry out for being the most horrible mother...

My suggestions would be
    1) Give multivitamin
    2) Give foods she eats (my baby eats sathumavu kanji atleast few spoons, roti dal, idli)
    3) Dont give her snacks like biscuits, sweets etc
    4) Be patient..(i know this is the worst feeling ever)

Do let me know in case you have suggestions..