1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ullakkai Indarum! Story Behind This Tamil Phrase

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Satlak, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Satlak

Satlak Gold IL'ite

I remembered this story yesterday when I submitted it for a discussion on story behind some Tamil proverbs in Facebook group of which I'm a member.
    Here goes the hilarious story.
    A husband loves to invite some brahmin or the other to have meals at his house. And the wife is fed up of cooking and serving them. So one day when the husband brings home a brahmanar unannounced and tells the wife to serve while he goes for a quick bath, she sees this as an opportunity to drive away the guest . she spreads the elai or plantain leaf to serve food. Then she keeps a big olakkai (huge pestle) with kumkumam (kumkum) and chandanam (sandalwood) paste rubbed on it near the elai.
    The brahmin gets scared and asks her what it is for. She says that it is the custom in their house to hit the brahmanar on the head after he has his meals. The scared man gets up and runs very fast. The husband enters just then and seems GN the guest fleeing, asks her why the guest is running away without eating. The wife says "anda olakkai venumna ketar. Naan sonnen adu ore oru olakkai taan irukku. Tara mudiyadu na. Kochundu odi poytar" . ("He said he wanted the pestle. I said that I have only one of its kind and that I could not give it. He got angry and left in a huff".
    The husband says "ivvalavu daane. Naan avarukku adai kuduttu avarai kootindu varen." It roughly translates as" is that all? I will just give it to him and bring him back".
    So he runs after the brahmnar with olakai in hand shouting "olakai indarum". The brahmin runs away in double speed when he turns back and sees him following with the pestle.

2. SCSusila

SCSusila Gold IL'ite

Hahahahaha!
    What a story ! Its like the stories of Suppandi in the children's magazine " Tinkle"

Vedhavalli, jskls and Satlak like this.
  3. Satlak

Satlak Gold IL'ite

For more such quotes please click on

Oru naalum podada punyawatiye.....

Story Behind Tamil Proverbs Post Five- Oru Naalum Podada Punyawatiye Pottappo, Dinam Podara Kadangar

Mamiyare mai ettukongo
    http://indusladies.com/community/threads/old-forgotten-tamil-proverb-mamiyare-mai-ettukongo.303620/#post-399495

Anju maatu ponn kadhai
    Story Behind Tamil Proverbs- Anju Maatuponn Kadhai

4. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

Ha Ha Ha Proverb stories are very nice

jskls and Satlak like this.
  5. Satlak

Satlak Gold IL'ite

Thank you

6. Satlak

Satlak Gold IL'ite

7. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

What a funny story. :) Have heard this story before still thanks for sharing it here. Oh my your lovely short stories takes me back to our childhood days. Keep sharing

Satlak likes this.
  8. Satlak

Satlak Gold IL'ite

Thank you. Yes I will keep sharing. I too love these. Aren't they timeless?

jskls likes this.