1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Privacy Is Something Not Everyone Understands:)

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Archanaanchan, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Archanaanchan

Archanaanchan IL Hall of Fame

I was at work, I received a call from an unknown number. On the other end spoke a guy , who said that I had received a courier and there was a confusion in the address given and asked me confirm my address and the landline telephone number. I immediately told him the address and asked him when he would deliver??(was awaiting courier)

There was a pause for a while and laughter , a friend of mine had mimicked someone else voice and scolded me apparently for letting know my address without inquiring well. He asked me " why are women not very careful while revealing the address and telephone numbers to someone who says he is from courier?

This incident left me to think Because many of us are ignorant of the small ways we can be fooled. The same is true with social media too. Some days after this incident, a 'X' whom i added as a friend on the basis of mutual friend requested me for phone number of another friend whom she could not contact because of some reason.Some of us apparently exchange phone numbers without understanding privacy is really important. I did not share the details.

Privacy is something not everyone understands. we always assume that the risks always comes from opposite gender which is not always true. We have to imbibe privacy not only for ourselves but for each other.

Lets all remember to think before we really indulge in giving away our personal information or sharing a contact of our close ones.

MansiN, sindmani, Sandycandy and 2 others like this.

2. raswam

raswam Senior IL'ite

Really true. We need to be very much aware on to whom we are sharing personal details like addresses and phone number..

Archanaanchan likes this.
  3. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Very true ! Thanks to the internet and social media ( and smart phones) privacy will be a word we will all have to look up in the dictionary !

Amica and Naari like this.
  4. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

I do feel it's upto us to protect our privacy.

Few things i do in regards to the subject you mentioned,

Never give out my phone number to any enquiry sites, telecallers, etc or anywhere if I don't feel if it's absolutely important or secure.

Rip out the address stickers of the courier packages / letters before disposing.

Never tell my address on the phone, I ask them to tell it first n that I will confirm if it's right or not.

If someone asks me for other's numbers. I check with that person first and only after they say yes, I pass it on.

5. Archanaanchan

cheers!!

6. Archanaanchan

This is exactly what i have tried to convey here:)

7. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Why pick up a call from some one who is not in your contact? Never do that again.

8. Archanaanchan

We cant limit picking calls from known contacts every time. For instance,when you have ordered online for something there are high chances that the courier guy may call you for checking on the address or your availability at home:) Its always good to verify in the first place , confirm and then proceed to reveal information:)

9. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

When someone calls, and the receiver, who is your arch-enemy, knows it is phishing, s/he give out your address and phone (if s/he knows that)? Life is full of risks, no?

10. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Archana,
    It is not always possible not to give address. When online shopping the guy who delivers the goods calls and asks landmarks for address. In India addresses are not very regulated and house numbers are not organised. How not to pick up a call.
    ? Facebook and mails....I can understand we should never give personal details.
    Couple of months back my cousins daughter, 12 year old, while coming from school was crossing the road...in New York. A car hit her and she fell down. Her bag scattered, she was scary , crying and the car owner and others gathered and tried to help her. One of them asked her to call her mom or dad. One of them called 911. On his phone she tried to contact her mother....seeing the unknown number she did not pick up the phone as she was busy in the office. Then this girl contacted dad. He was out of city and is returning back and in flight. She contacted her elder sister of 15 year old and she picked up the phone and panicky, she called her mother. Mother seeing daughter's number, picked up and then ran to the accident site.....by that time 911 ambulance came and took her to hospital. She went to hospital.....that is a different story. She had only one fracture in hand....not life threatening. She vowed herself that she would pick up any number from then onwards. We need not tell the details but phone should be picked up.
    So, let us use our discretion.

Syamala

Amica, Mistt and Cheeniya like this.