Woman Takes Sick Days For Mental Health

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by Rihana, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

When a woman took sick days for mental health, her email sparked a larger discussion - CNN.com

A software engineer sent an email to colleagues: "Hey team, I'm taking today and tomorrow to focus on my mental health. Hopefully, I'll be back next week refreshed and back to 100%."

Got a response from CEO applauding her for cutting through the stigma and talking candidly about the reason for time off.

Thoughts?

Is it about time employees can take mental health days just as easily as sick days, without needing a doctor's note? Mental health days should be a part of sick days?

Or, do you think if taking "mental health days" off is allowed, most of us will need to take off by Wednesday afternoon? : )

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I was thinking that it is good her email and CEO's response brought spotlight to the issue. Like mentioned in that article, if an athlete is injured, they sit on the bench... the brain isn't any different.

On a related note, came across this quote:

"I like work/life separation, not work/life balance. What I mean by that is, if I'm on, I want to be on and maximally productive. If I'm off, I don't want to think about work. When people strive for work/life balance, they end up blending them. That's how you end up checking email all day Saturday." -- Timothy Ferriss

I wonder how much stress could be avoided if efforts were made towards work /life separation rather than work /life balance. Not many of us can hope for that separation. At least not the rank and file, and those who are not self-employed.

Sandycandy likes this.
  3. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

I am lucky in my current job, that I have enough sick and personal days (and vacation on top of that) to take. Not all of my jobs have had this luxury. In my current job, it would be simple to take the day off - no stigma. But corporations are not so understanding. Taking personal time off could potentially affect promotions. But, it's those companies that really need to add extra personal/sick days. It would improve performance and inspire loyalty.

I think it's important to allow this personal time. If companies were so concerned that people would take too much advantage of it, they can require that they not be used with vacation time.

Sandycandy and Rihana like this.
  4. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

Can you imagine sending this e-mail in India?

BDivya likes this.
  5. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

That's neat ! I mostly tell the boss " I had some Sushi last night " !
    I am not sure I would want to share my health issues , let alone mental health issues with the colleagues or the boss. People are as judgemental here as they are in India ( @Umanga ) .

Sunburst, GoneGirl and Naari like this.
  6. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I can take the random sick day off without a note, and our state also offers an additional 8 days a year for sick/medical leave. My boss doesn't care as long as I get work done. I do take a mental health day every now and then, just not explicitly stated.

7. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

I just call in sick or put it off to my DD (kids come in very handy sometimes).. I wouldn't ever do this as this can backfire big time.. if you had a tussle / disagreements with your boss, he wouldn't think once to throw you under the bus come appraisal time, claiming you have mental health issues which is open to wide interpretation!!

Mental health is a serious issue ranging from just disturbed to bipolar /schizophrenic to out right lunatic, so unless ppl know you exactly, you are making yourself vulnerable by being too frank.. I don't think being frank pays off in corporate world!! Just IMHO

8. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

I think speaking openly about depression and anxiety is getting more socially acceptable, at least in the West. The very fact that this lady could send this e-mail and all that the manager could manage was a passive-aggressive response plus the support she has got from the public is testament to that.

Mental health has gone from being a fringe topic to the very mainstream of social discourse.

As for the part of your comment that pertains to frankness, is there any part of one's life in which frankness pays off?

9. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Read about this company in India that gives a day off to women during their first day of periods ! Again here I think this is wonderful but I am not sure I want my colleagues to know about my menstrual cycles. So sushi it is for me !

10. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

true if you have specific conditions, but there too, corporations (managements) can be really slimy, acting sympathizing on the outside, but seeing you as a 'liability they can't get rid off' on the inside! But generic " I am mentally sick " is dangerous, open to interpretations per people's conveniences.. so, still wouldn't give it out frankly for sure.. I wouldn't even admit any conditions..

Yes, frankness never pays off, unless one is an idiot & he admits that, in which case ppl will consider him smart enough to know that! :lol::lol:

Sandycandy likes this.