Any Remedies For Constipation?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by mom2nov, Jul 8, 2017.

1. mom2nov

mom2nov Senior IL'ite

Hello...
    I am in my 22 nd week and have severe constipation..as in bowel movement once in 2 days and that too not satisfactory..
    Any tips on reducing constipation?

2. Agniamber11

Agniamber11 Bronze IL'ite

Include lots of greens, fibre like apples, raisins in your diet. Keep dry figs in hot water till it softens. Grind it to paste and add it in milk. Warm water works as laxative. These are all home remedies. Please consult your doctor for more clarity.

mom2nov and sindmani like this.
  3. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

long walks (with help from someone since you are blessed with pregnancy)

prunes (they look like chocolates)

fruits, veggies, lot of water

Best wishes Dear

mom2nov and sindmani like this.
  4. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

OP, First of all check your prenatal vitamins. Iron in that is one of the main reason for constipation. Change to prenatal vitamins with less iron and take iron tablet separately, but go for slow release iron. That will reduce your problem to some extent. So talk to your doctor about it.( Google slow release iron for more info)

Second eat high fiber rich foods including, oats, beans, vegetables and fruits with lots of water as suggested by others above. Also try exercise like walking everyday. Prunes juice is good. If nothing helps, talk to doctor and go for stool softener.

I too had similar problem during first pregnancy even after going for home remedies. I didn't know that iron is the culprit. So I went for slow release iron during my second pregnancy and didn't have any problems.
    If you have severe issue try sitzbath in warm water before BM. That relaxes the muscles there making BM easier.. severe constipation can lead to hemeroids, fissure and other issues.. So fix it before it is too late.
    hope you feel better soon.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
    mom2nov, ChennaiExpress and sindmani like this.
  5. mom2nov

mom2nov Senior IL'ite

Thanks for the suggestions..
    I do take lots of greens and fruits..
    I think excercise and iron supplements may be the culprits in my case. Also, cuz of constipation issues my stomach feels soo full and its getting difficult to toss and turn while sleeping. I do walk after every meal for about 15 mins..

6. Archanaanchan

Archanaanchan IL Hall of Fame

OP,

Try Millet diet for few days, Drink lots of water and eat a lot of fruits.
    Avoid biscuits , bakery, anything cooked from maida, No wheat and no ragi.
    Maintain this diet for a week and see the change.
    I had to undergo a surgery for constipation issues i followed millet diet and recovered.

Make sure you soak millets over night before you cook. Dont cook the same millet evryday. use one type of millet for 2 days and try to use other type on day 3 and 4. use all the types of millets two day each. dont eat 2 types of millets the same daay.

Eat a cup of boiled veggies in a day.

This definitely will help! Let me know if you find any improvement trying this diet for 1-2 weeks!!

sindmani and mom2nov like this.
  7. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

Apple sauce, Apple juice, fresh apple a day or prune will help.

sindmani and mom2nov like this.
  8. mom2nov

mom2nov Senior IL'ite

Thanks. I would love to try it. I believe it will take lot of preparation before and during millet diet + additional cooking for family.. :(

Archanaanchan likes this.
  9. Archanaanchan

Archanaanchan IL Hall of Fame

You could make a lot of simple recipes using millet.. !! You could just use the millet as rice substitute otherwise.. Like cook millet and eat it with sambar or curry or curd whenevr you have no extra time to cook .. It is that simple!!!

If you have some time try Millet idli, Millet dosa, Millet pongal, Millet pulav( avoid adding more spices), Millet ganji, Millet bisibelebath:) Visit food and remedy.com or swayampaaka videos on you tube for these recipes:)

10. Dwirakhi

Dwirakhi Silver IL'ite

Hi,

Being in the 22nd week, How are coming along with your nausea and vomiting. Are you able to eat enough? Are you able to drink enough fluids? Constipation will disappear once you start eating well and drinking fluids. Constipation can occur due to less food. No intake less output.

If it is not the above case and you are eating well. Then please check on the quality of food. Is there enough fiber, green leafy vegetables and fluids in your diet. A regular walk and exercise also helps constipation to be eliminated.

Having said all this it is normal to have constipation in the pregnancy. If it is really bad, speak to your doctor. She may give you something to you.

Ø Don’t strain when you go to the toilet.

Ø Take a book or a phone to the toilet. Don’t rush and hurry and force the process.

Ø Go when you have to go.

Ø There may not be a routine initially. Soon it will settle down.

Take care… God Bless you…