1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

How To Choose Kid Daycare When We Move To A New City

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by uma321, Jul 6, 2017.

1. uma321

uma321 Platinum IL'ite

Ladies,
    I'm here to discuss and get your feedback in selecting kid's daycare.

We are moving to a city across the country in few weeks. My 3 years old is currently going to a daycare here and we would like him to put him in Montessori once we move to the new city.

Our confusion:
    We are familiar with the city and state we are moving in. So, as soon as we land, we want to start looking for a house to buy. We will stay in an apartment until then.

My husband's job location is X in the city. However, there are a few nearby places where schools are good. So we will buy a house in one of those areas. Since we don't know where we will buy a house, I'm not sure how to choose my son's montessori.

If we choose close to X, then I need to drop him when my husband travels. It might become too far once we buy a house. His Pead mentioned it's not a good idea to change daycare quite often. So, I'm confused on selecting Montessori.

I'd also like to get your input on finding Montessori when moving to a new city (even though we know the city well, we don't know anyone whose kid is going to Montessori). Where would you search for Montessori? Google search gave me few options. But I don't know how good those schools are.

Appreciate your help!

2. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

Will you also be working? If you are, why not find a Montessori close to your work? If not, maybe you can delay his enrollment until after your move.

Personally, I prefer to visit the locations and tour the facilities before making any decisions about daycare. I am not comfortable with just reading the literature online or even first hand accounts of friends.

sindmani and Sandycandy like this.
  3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Have you looked if your new city has a local forum? If it does that would be a great place to start.

Sandycandy likes this.
  4. uma321

uma321 Platinum IL'ite

I'll be working. but my work location might change as well.

I'm not planning to put the kid the next day after the move. I'll visit the facilities and make the decision.

5. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

Alright, well, I don't know which city you are moving to, to help. With Montessori schools, there is usually a lot of demand for them (waiting lists) and require some forethought. Also, they follow the normal school year, with an August start date. There would also be penalties if you withdraw your child out of the Montessori class (before they are officially school going).

Searching for a Montessori is relatively easy with a web search. Contact the facility, find out if they have space and an open enrollment period. If they have a parent night when you are moved into the city, schedule a visit before making a decision. Definitely find out the fees for withdrawing your son mid year. Montessori classes are planned around the students and their developmental needs, so they take it seriously if you withdraw your child.

sindmani likes this.