1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Toddler Demands To Be Taken Everywhere Literally

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by raki, Jun 29, 2017.

1. raki

raki Silver IL'ite

Hi All,

My son will be 3 yrs next year. He wants me to carry him everywhere..literally.
    Like i finishing eating and want to put my plate in the sink. he wants me to take him along.
    I want to drink water from the water purifier in the kitchen..he want me to take him along..
    Suppose i don't take him and he finds me coming out of kitchen or bathroom or even after a phone call, he will start throwing a tantrum..

Suppose i answer a phone call just by coming out of the room we both were present, then he will cry saying "you should have taken me along with you..." so now take me along and again make a phone call..

Suppose i dont take him when i get the food for him...he wants me take him along and take a new plate with fresh food..he refuses to take the food from the plate which already has food i.e. because i put the food in the plate when he didnt see it...

He expects me to do this day in and day out and it is becoming very stressfull and time consuming for me

Few more things to point out is both myself and my husband are working. My inlaws tale care of him. He does not get to watch any cartoons on tv...he watches all these serials on tv which my inlaws watch. He also watches rhymes on nursery. he started his Mont 1 since June 1st..but this behaviour did not start after going to school..

Has anyone come across such tantrums..

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
    Umanga likes this.

2. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

Hai, I have come across variations of such tantrums. Like lifting up or carrying him all the time. He will just sit in the ground refusing to move. Or throw tantrums when we go shopping demanding he needs that toy. He even used to demand we decors or cutleries in a shop like home center. It was just a point of buying something. There are many like that, that differs during every phase.

I give in if it's just a few times or if it's a smaller thing like giving food in a specific cartoon-y dishes, carry him if he's realy tired, making a childish mess, playing with utensils, etc.

But if I feel that his demands are becoming unreasonable or just pure tantrums. I don't give in, like we will walk out of the store leaving him on the floor. Or just won't listen to his cries.

I will say I can't listen to you when you are crying. That I will listen to him only if he can talk and will never listen if he throws a tantrum.
    I tell him that we can't do everything, everytime and that he has to accept "No" as well.
    My dh also advises him to listen to me and he won't stand for tantrums either.

We kept repeating this over n over again and Once he realized that he's never gona get anything by throwing tantrums, it reduced and stopped.

Also, once I realized that he has more energy, I made him help me around the house. Like carrying some stuff, putting it somewhere. This excited him and distracted him as well. So Instead of carrying him, you can ask him to do something for you.

As kids grow, they keep testing their boundaries, about how far they can go through these tantrums n all. The more we give in, they keep pushing this boundary n it keeps escalating. So we just have to keep reminding them to stay on the right path. It's a natural thing.

sindmani and raki like this.
  3. raki

raki Silver IL'ite

Hi Ashneys

Thank you for the reply...i hope to overcome this phase..just wondering if this was a normal thing.

4. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

As far as your kid does not have any other compulsive behaviors I would not worry. Be firm and let him know that he cannot tag along. Don't give in to his tantrums and hopefully he will understand.

5. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

Hai, don't worry. This is completely normal. There will be many phases like this as they grow :) As you learn the tricks to handle these phases, you will be good to go ;)

6. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

kid watching those stupid serials:fearscream::screamcat::screamcat::fearscream:.
    he is missing you since you work. thats why he is clingy

sindmani likes this.
  7. breeze01

breeze01 Platinum IL'ite

Main thing is he is missing you and being with grandparents watching serials all day maybe he is looking for a change after you get home he just want to be with you in everything you do... its obvious... try to find some time and be with him in doing some playful things with him...

now my 5 yr old always behind me when there is no one in the house want to do whatever I do cant even go to rest room for a minute.. so I try to let him help me in kitchen... cleaning, gardening or just going outside for a walk.. as ashneys said we need to distract them

sindmani likes this.
  8. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

Use I pad or tablet And store cartoons of moral stories, rhymes and make him watch if he can't watch tv cartoons. Ask his grand parents to put for him when u r in office . Please divert from dramas :(. It is not kids friendly.

9. raki

raki Silver IL'ite

Hi All...

Thank you for the replies...

I do try to spend time with him..I encourage him to play with me...but most of the times it does not work out well..because he throws tantrums asking for his dad...

But when he is with his dad...he plays with him nicely. I feel very jealous....
    When he is with me..he just keeps whining asking for his dad.
    He tells come let's go and find dad...take me to the street and dad will come there.:pensive:

My wish of having a second baby is strongly opposed by everyone in the house (at least secretly) ...because they feel..when we cannot handle one how can we handle 2 ...:neutral: