1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Protein foods when you are on diet...

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by breeze01, May 24, 2014.

1. breeze01

breeze01 Platinum IL'ite

Hi all,

I just couldnot figure out what type on protein rich food to include in diet..i eat very little and at times eat junk but instead of rice i either go for oatmeal upma or sandwich or cheerios..we are non veg but dont eat much just once a week... i include soya beans, add peanuts in upma, almonds sometimes.. but other than that what kind of food can i include in my diet????....please pass me what all you following so i can make healthy change to my diet...

Does include veggies,fruits show change in weight loss... i use to eat fruits alot earlier but i know its going to make you feel hungry after a while how do you manage with that?????

2. sridevi1977

sridevi1977 IL Hall of Fame

Hi Breeze,
    An average adult should include 50 to 60 grams of protein in a day. This is very essential for weightloss.
    I am vegetarian,,...
    I dont eat egg also.
    So, here is how I manage to get my proteins.I mostly reach the essential need almost every single day.

main meals:
    quinoa
    dal (lentils,dry beans varieties)
    soya
    tofu
    paneer

snacks:
    nuts
    nut butter like peanut butter,almond butter,soy butter etc.,they go very well with apples and celery.
    hummus(with cucumber)- you will get a variety of flavors in the market.
    cheese stick
    greek yogurt
    cottage cheese( add a surplus amount in salads or any subzis or even wrap chapati , top it with veggies and eat)
    seeds like sunflower seeds,pumpkin seeds,roasted channa...excellent source of protein.
    milk

But they all are rich in calories and fat too... go for low fat versions or fat free versions of cheese,yogurt varieties and keep an eye on the serving size of nuts and seeds.

Sometimes, if I know that I did not eat sufficient protein, I just go for whey protein isolate (protein powder), especially after my intense workouts to repair the muscles after exercise.
    Make sure to include some form of protein in every snack along with some fiber. Also make sure to take it before and after every time you exercise to prevent muscle loss.

I am sure you will reach your daily need just by including these varieties in your diet.
    If you are non vegetarian, just egg white will cover others majorly.
    Hope , the information I shared will help.

all the best.

5 people like this.
  3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Hi Breeze,
    Sridevi's tips are excellent.I am vegetarian, and generally avoid milk and yogurt though I eat eggs on occasion.
    Beans are are a good way to add both protein and fiber to your diet. I buy the canned beans and use after rinsing: black beans, pinto beans, cannellini, kidney beans and chickpeas.
    All varieties of daal made with less oil are good.
    I will add a handful of beans to salads, or even have them just warmed with some tomato sauce on top.Cannellini beans can be ground with a bit of garlic, parsley and olive oil to make a nice dip.
    Vegetables such as green peas, broccoli, edamame and kale also contain a decent amount of protein. Tempeh is an alternative to tofu and tastes good when marinated and grilled.
    Green smoothies made with spinach/kale/lettuce, your choice of fruits and yogurt/silken tofu are also filling. Just dont add extra sugar.
    We also get flax seed powder, chia seeds, hemp powder and add to salads or shakes.

1 person likes this.
  4. breeze01

breeze01 Platinum IL'ite

hi sridevi,

Thanks alot for the reply.. i am trying with lentils, soya beans, soya chunks..

nuts yes i have to keep an eye on them.... making sure i eat little portions...

peanut butter i use to eat but reduced recently have to start back on that.. i was gaining weight with that so stopped it...

milk i am drinking almond milk... i drink whenever i remember... need to keep it routine..

5. breeze01

breeze01 Platinum IL'ite

hi malstrom...

with beans i had this thing in mind that its going to double my behind which is why i dont eat beans... i dont know how far tht is thru and i know thatswhy most of the people here in usa eat lot of beans to.... explain me if i am wrong in thinking like that.. i do eat the chickpeas thou..veggies yes i do all of them... have to work on the beans thou....

6. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

No, no, beans will not make you fat. They are very good for high protein and fiber. The beans in Tex-Mex food in restaurants can be unhealthy because it is combined with lots of cheese, but if you make it at home it is very healthy.
    You can google for recipes like vegetarian chili, which taste nice and spicy like our Indian food, and are very filling.
    The only thing is beans can cause some digestive issues, so it is better to start slow.

1 person likes this.
  7. breeze01

breeze01 Platinum IL'ite

hi, thanks for reply... so from now on i will keep in mind to use some beans.. i do love mexican food but try to make it in different version excluding all the cheesy items.....

8. Himanshi009

Himanshi009 Guest

Hey Breeze,
    Here is something I would like to recommend you. Chia seeds have become one of the most popular superfoods in the health community.
    Chia Seeds deliver a massive amount of nutrients with very few calories

1 ounce (28 grams) serving of chia seeds contains:

Fiber: 11 grams.

Protein: 4 grams.

Fat: 9 grams (5 of which are Omega-3s).

Calcium: 18% of the RDA.

Manganese: 30% of the RDA.

Magnesium: 30% of the RDA.

Phosphorus: 27% of the RDA.

They also contain a decent amount of Zinc, Vitamin B3 (Niacin), Potassium, Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) and Vitamin B2.

breeze01 likes this.
  9. breeze01

breeze01 Platinum IL'ite

hey thanks for your reply...

chai seeds I didn't try them but I did look at them.. I guess I can add them to foods either just like that or grind them and add it.. will try to add it to my diet...

10. Sunburst

Sunburst Platinum IL'ite

Hi Breeze,

The goal shouldn't be just about weight loss but also how to maintain your weight lifelong and be healthy . While there are several fad diets which will help you lose weight very fast, it doesn't guarantee good health which to me is more important than just looking skinny .

There is no need to go after fancy stuff like chia seeds ,goji berries and what not when there are so many local options available . Recently , I came across some commerical singing glory about millets are super foods and it is good for antioxidants and I was wondering we indians have grown up eating Millet but we took it for granted and suddenly it's a super food here in the US.

Try and stick to diet that you have grown up eating as your body is used to it and will accept it readily . Our indian diet does have enough sources of protein . It's just that we don't consume enough because we are big on rice or rotis .

You regular dal or sambar is an excellent source of protein. Try to consume 2 bowls of dal with some rice or rotis. We eat the wrong way by consuming 2,3 rounds of rice with less dal . It should be the other way around . Other easy options are milk, yogurt , paneer, tofu, quinoa , all kinds of beans like Chana,rajma . Hummus made out of chickpeas which is readily available and so easy to make at home packs a punch. Peanut butter and almonds are excellent sources of protein . Since you are a non veg , you have much more choices than vegetarians.

There is no magic solution for weight loss. It's a lifestyle change . I don't know why carbs have got a bad rep but our body needs carbs . If you eat upma, add more veggies and peanuts to it and little less than usual quantity of upma and that way your body gets a balanced meal of everything . An ideal diet should be high on protein , moderate amount of carbs and fats so don't skip carbs completely. Veggies and fruits give a lot of fibre and greens like kale , spinach are excellent sources of calcium as well. A 20-30 minute of brisk walking or some workout like yoga and swimming along with a balanced diet is the key to lifelong weight control .
    If you skip something , your body will crave it or you will be tempted to eat something junk to satisfy your craving . Keep your body happy and replenished with all kinds of food and it will reward you in the long run .

blissofmylife and breeze01 like this.