1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

Nail Facts

Discussion in 'Body Care' started by vimalasri, Aug 26, 2008.

1. vimalasri

vimalasri New IL'ite

Some nail facts :-

What we eat will reflect on the health of our nails, too.
    • Lack of vitamin A and calcium causes dryness and brittleness.
    • Lack of protein, folic acid and vitamin C causes hang nails.
    • White bands across the nails are caused by protein deficiency.
    • A lack of sufficient hydrochloric acid can cause splitting nails.
    • Insufficient intake or vitamin B12 can lead to excessive dryness, very rounded and curved ends and darkening of nails.
    • Insufficient zinc can cause development of white spots on the nails.
    • Cuts and cracks in the nails may indicate a need for more liquids.
    • Red skin around your cuticles can be caused by poor metabolism of essential fatty acids.

2. sharmy

sharmy Senior IL'ite

Good info vimala

one of my thump nail always splits, I had no clue its because lack of sufficient hydrochloric acid :thumbsdown

hmm... :roll:How am I going to short out this:bowdown

-sharmy-

3. Asha25

Asha25 Senior IL'ite

My nails are so weak I wonder why this is?

4. vimalasri

vimalasri New IL'ite

Thanks Sharmy & Asha !

The most common nail wreckers are harsh detergents and water, which can stress nail fibers. So be sure to put rubber gloves on while you clean or do dishes. Also, avoid using perfume lotions that usually contain alcohol if your nails are brittle. It will only make your nails worse. It may be possible that your calcium intake is low, as well.

Its good to take some supplements to susbstitute the lost minerals in our body as we age... Drinking milk as source of calcium is very good too. Here in US , the FDA recommends one glass of milk everyday.

There are also calcium tablets available. Besides that taking multivitamins can be beneficial to help weak bones , nails and hair loss ! So eat well !!:thumbsup

5. Asha25

Asha25 Senior IL'ite

Thank you dear I will try to wear gloves while cleaning and see if this helps.

6. sharmy

sharmy Senior IL'ite

Thank you vimala,
    I drink milk at least one time a day and started to take calcium tablets. Let's see how its working. Is it bad to take more than RDA vitamin D3?

7. vimalasri

vimalasri New IL'ite

U are welcome Sharmy !

Drinking milk at least once a day is very beneficial for ladies health. Its also a natural source of calcium and minerals.

Vitamin D3 is an excellent shield towards lack of immunity , depression , bone and back pain. Any vitamin taken over dosage is not good for health as sometimes it may trigger some chemical reactions in our body. Just dont go over the prescribed dosage ! If you are visiting your Gp or physician , you can ask them too what amount is right for you. For example , the medicine dosage and strength varies according to each individual body conditions - a diabetic patient requires different dosage compared to a normal person , so is a person with high or low bp.

By the way , did u also try Sally Hansen's mineral coat for weak and brittle nails ? It helped me to improve on my nail condition.

8. sharmy

sharmy Senior IL'ite

Thanks for nice reply to my post Vimala.

I am currently taking prenatal vitamins ( before conception ) to maintain good health. The problem is, in UK they recommend to take " Pregnacare" which don't include Calcium and suggested to take separately such as "osteocare". If I need to see a GP then have to make an appointment before a month.

I'll try sally hansen if its available in UK. Thanks once again!

-Sharmy-

9. vimalasri

vimalasri New IL'ite

Hey Sharmy ,

No problem at all ! I understand your situation , I am also sailing on the same boat...:cheers

It should not take such long time to get an appointment with the Gp there. Are u already registered with the NHS ? Usually they give the next day if appointment slot is not available on the same day u called. Yes , its important for prenatal health since we are all not used to such extreme weathers...!

Folic acid is the right one to take before pregnancy and Gps usually recommend them even during pregnancy also. All my cousin sisters used to pass on infos to me.

The earlier you opt for Gp advice is better. I am not sure about other meds u've mentioned. May be they are new to market.

Sally Hansen should be available in the Boots or even at the Tesco's.

Good luck !!

10. sharmy

sharmy Senior IL'ite

Thanks Vimala. I'll go to either boots or tesco today to find the product