1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Need Tips to maintain a silk sarees

Discussion in 'Home Decoration & Improvement' started by BuviVishal, Feb 10, 2012.

1. feya

feya Bronze IL'ite

Hi friends,

Can v hang them in hangers???then there wudn't b prob of over lapping or tearing @ folds na?

Thanks,
    Feya

2. BuviVishal

BuviVishal Gold IL'ite

Hi Feya,

Then how many hangers we can use?????? currently i am using hangers only.

3. feya

feya Bronze IL'ite

Hi Buvana,

My MIL hangs all her sarees in hangers, she has been maintaining it this way for yrs, n it all seems to b wonderful still.i hav heard many ppl say dat silk sarees tear from folds if its not used often, so i felt hangers r best way to keep them gud. hangers r cheap compared to silk sarees na buvi?

My MIl uses a only hangers type bureau, it has 3 compartments n so she hangs everything in it :)

4. lgirish

lgirish Platinum IL'ite

If you are using hangers don`t keep them in steel almirah. The zari tends to blacken. Thamboolam bags means the bag given in marriages and other auspicious occasions by the hosts containing betel leaves, coconut etc. Now a days people give thamboolam in a net bag which resembles paper tissue but is stronger. Yes they are a good choice for storing sarees.

5. usha63

usha63 New IL'ite

It is better to hang the sarees in the hangers and hang them in the cupboard. If you keep one saree above other, bec of the pressure, the folds will tear when you happen to use after a long time. so, it is better to hang them in the cupboard and unfold once a while.

1 person likes this.
  6. BuviVishal

BuviVishal Gold IL'ite

as of now i am having only one hanger partition is there in my bureau. i am hanging all my sarees by using hangers. here i am having one doubt how to care the cotton sarees. usually i wear the new sarees whatever cotton, desinger saree i will wash after two to three times used. the same procedure (like silk saree maintenance) i am following for all sarees. so there is no place in my bureau to hang them. shall i fold the cotton sarees after used in bureau???

i think i have to buy mini bureau to keep my sarees alone :):)

7. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Hi Ladies,

I have a nice kancheepuram silk saree,very very heavy and i wore it for my marriage but never after that...5 years and i have never used it even once...its a beautiful silk saree but i dont find any apt occassion to wear such a grand saree,infact i need another 1 person to help me drape it,its so heavy...so its sleeping in the cupboard...
    i am really scared as what would happen to that saree since i am not wearing it...i have tried taking it out and folding it the other way some 2-3 times but nothing after that...
    can someone please help me with your tips like what i can do now..i mean to maintain it properly..

other silk sarees i have worn atleast once or twice...this is the only saree i have never worn even once after my marriage...
    any tips i should follow now immediately?!!!

thanks in advance

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

swaran,

I stopped wearing sarees for 12 years, due to discomfort because of surgeries and only started wearing sarees from last year because nieces and nephews are getting married ..

i always used to dry them in the sun periodically...change the way it is folded. reverse the folds.. i have once given it for dry wash fearing damage because not being used.

the only tip i think i can give is never to spray perfume on the saree..(not sure if somebody has already given.)
    and the best bet is to keep them in storage bags that are not available..cloth ones..or to keep them in cloth bags..

blessings1010 likes this.
  9. ASU007

ASU007 New IL'ite

Hello Everyone,
    I have a related query.My wedding saree was a red kancheepuram saree with all golden threads.2 weeks wedding,the portion of saree which touches ur skin turned to black colour.Dont know if ts due to sweat.When I gave for dry cleaning they rejected.Can anyone tell me what to do now?Will this be cured by saree polishing or dyeing?can anyone help me?

10. blessings1010

blessings1010 Gold IL'ite

Ladies, please help. I have also had a question regarding the silk Kancheepuram sarees.

These sarees have golden silk butti all over them, but the problem is the backside of butti is a woven thread. When I got these sarees, the store put the net/ tulle type net fabric on the pallu as well as the bottom of the sari where fall is attached. But now, I want the net for the whole saree. Any idea where I can get it done in New York? if there is no service available like that, can anyone of you suggest where I can get the material ( I am thinking Jo-Ann/ Michaels) and how to go for it? will it make the saree very bulky for draping? I intend to use a very fine net, basically just to protect the golden silk threadwork from damaging.

Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.