1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Is The Current India Better To Live Than Abroad ?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by anika987, Jun 15, 2017.

1. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

Doctors who completed their degree in India, have to complete coursework in the US and extra testing, before they can practice in the US. I have a lot of doctor friends in the US and their curriculum is rigorous enough that they have zero flexibility, until they reach the age of 27~ and even then, they have to complete their boards successfully to continue practicing. The typical American does not choose to pursue medicine because it's really a pain the butt to finish that much schooling and be legally liable for other people's lives.

I only have my cousins to compare, and I definitely have a greater amount of book knowledge than them - just from college. My brother is an engineer, and he has a much more thorough understanding of his subject than students from India. It's not that they don't work as hard, but my brother was a TA, completed 2 actual research projects, and an Full-time internship while completing his bachelors. It's only when my cousins complete coursework in the US, they get that experience.

Haha, you killed me with that. So true. I also want India's infrastructure to improve. I was so excited that they were building the metro in Chennai - but it's still an ongoing process. I can understand the difficulties, but I wish the improvements happen at a faster pace.

Btw, not all parts of India have bad infrastructure. My aunt lives in Kerala, and it is very well organized, clean, and have orderly traffic rules and science museums (and so much more)- basically, if I ever have to move, I would move there.

2. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

Then US has to address the cost of education which is basically hindering them to produce doctors and they have to depend on doctors who studied outside .

India that way has advantage of lower on cost and culture which pays for children's eduction. The children utilize it their benefit and the pass it on to their children .

The comment was on Indian education system and smartness of people , so my comments at according to that.

There area all levels of people available In indian workforce , innovators , average joes , blue collar to fit into every kind of job.

Masters education is good in US but the foundation for many indian students who pursue higher education comes through indian education system otherwise you won't have US universities accepting these students, sometimes provide full scholarships and TA.

There are also indian students who come here because parents are able to spend pots of money to get them some degree :)

Infrastructure improvements are definitely needed in India but in general people don't die drinking tap water , almost everybody drinks tap water just like we indians do in US .

3. InterestBlog

InterestBlog Bronze IL'ite

I found it funny comparison between public school education of US and Indian schools , as College level education, makes a career. And forget the Indians (we are born studious ;) ), very less people reach college level.

FYI:
    11 Facts About Education in America | DoSomething.org | Volunteer for Social Change
    Education in the United States - Wikipedia
    10 Reasons the U.S. Education System Is Failing

blissofmylife likes this.
  4. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Don't allow such talk to bother you. Yes, India has everything America can provide in terms of material possessions. There was job security until the recent restrictions on outsourcing came into effect. Now there is job insecurity here too. What about the quality of life? There is plenty of violence of different kinds all around. People are aggressive. Everyone loves to believe they are religious/spiritual and holier-than-thou. Women are not safe on the streets or inside their own homes. People are always trying to be one up on their friends, neighbours, relatives ..... they have a better home, they have better jobs, they are better off financially, their kids are the best and this attitude extends to NRIs. They have of course got to have everything better than the NRIs. Tell me how many people have time for each other? Life is nothing more than a rat race. There is so much of pollution all around. There is a total lack of discipline and it's a jungle law. Survival of the fittest. Bullies survive.

Yes, we all mind our own business and try to find happiness in our own little worlds, but that is true for most people all around the world. No matter where, there is no perfect situation and we just learn to get on with life.

For all you know these people are just jealous of you and are trying to make themselves feel better about themselves and their own lives.

5. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

Don't you need school education to reach college.
    No you can't compare public schools between USA and India.

6. blissofmylife

blissofmylife Silver IL'ite

Please do not forget the fact that, in majority of Indian cities, mineral water can has become a must! Nobody in India drinks tap water, except may be some poor people living on the streets. In India, everything needs to be bought:
    1. Education
    2. Water
    3. Comfortable living conditions etc.

Air to breath, will very soon, make into the list, with the rate at which we are emitting Green House gases.

Concentrating on the number of Starbucks and McDonalds is just a way to shadow the widespread environmental degradation caused by "Sand Mafia", "Bhopal Gas Tragedy", "Uranium Poisoning in Punjab" and many more.

The most painful part of India visit is the startling rate of reduction in the greenery.
    I personally feel sad, that our country has not taken any measures to conserve our natural resources. I think it is pointless to even discuss other factors. If the economic growth and literacy, can't get its residents good living conditions, then the rest are all immaterial.

satchitananda and Naari like this.
  7. Elsa

Elsa Gold IL'ite

You are right, but the kind of research and innovation that happens in US universities can never ever happen in Indian University, just because of the reason you just mentioned. US accepts the best ones graduating from Indian Universities leaving very few good ones in India. America doesn't hire Indians because they are smart, there are very smart ones in America too, its just that they do not have a degree. And most of the times its not because the Americans are not capable of earning one, its just because of the affordability factor.

The Indian education system needs to change. Period.

I agree, I exaggerated the indian tap water , but a majority of the indians filter the water before consuming. Although unfiltered water does not act as fast as poison and kill a person, it does cause typhoid jaundice and a lot of other water borne illnesses.

How to solve these issues is a different discussion altogether. America has to lower its education and health care costs and India needs to get its basics right and then talk about high rise buildings, luxury brand stores, bullet trains etc.

Sunburst likes this.
  8. Elsa

Elsa Gold IL'ite

Cant agree more!

Its the living conditions that matter. It used to take me 3 hours to commute to and from work when I used to work in India in one of the 4 big metros. And I used to live just 5-7 kms from my workplace. Now in the US, it hardly takes 2-3 minutes per mile and I live 20 miles from my work place and it takes less than an hour for me one way. (I am not talking about NYC)

The public transport in India is a joke! There are not enough buses and trains for everyone, the roads are narrow and full ofnpits, so you cant even drive by yourself. I used to pay taxes but used to travel like cattle in those packed trains and buses. It was horrible, I would never want to go back to those days again.

OMG, the lack of restrooms! As a woman, I had to just hold my pee until I reached home. This is what i meant by getting the basics right. Clean air, water, food and restrooms.

BhumiBabe, Sunburst and Sunshine04 like this.
  9. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

This one.india really needs to work on

sindmani, blissofmylife and Naari like this.
  10. RadhaPrasad

RadhaPrasad New IL'ite

It is very easy to say improvements living on the other side of the world. Either work for the improvements of India or else don't comment. Every Indian people born brought up in India has the responsibility to improve India. And for the original post that started this thread just ignore the comparison.