1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Living Room Decor ( Not Family Room )

Discussion in 'Home Decoration & Improvement' started by sanjuruby3, Jun 2, 2017.

1. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi,

In India, in traditional homes , we have separate guest room (living room), disconnected and usually opened for guests only and family room is like big lobby area.
    About same thing here in many homes ( not talking apartments where its just 1 room).

At many of my home owner friends place, there is living room. It is disconnected and once door closed, it completely invisible. So they use family room (all purpose room) for everything. And the other room (living room) is now just another room for kids play or tennis table or art/crafts or exercise room.

But couple homes we visited to buy, living room is not separate but very much at entrance with no doors. Thus entry can not be barred by doors to avoid general traffic or kids, you know. Those homes were old construction within our budget

So my question is how to decorate living room then if it looks same as family room? Sofa in family room, and sofa in living room and sofa in basement?? How many sofas we buy??:flushed: Do you have both family room and living room decorated for its real purpose.
    Its like redundant room.
    In real life ( in US), we hardly get formal guests. India is different. In India, family room ( or lobby or lounge) have those single beds ( diwan or chaise types ) some simple cane chairs. But here family room itself have big sectionals.

Also anyone create low/floor seating in their homes ( for public view ). I am really fan of that. In apartments, we have no space and we sit anywhere we want - floor or up . But I want to have floor seating corner in my home.
    Not fan of yogibo and bean bags. too expensive. India, floor seating is supposed to be cheaper. Here it is not.

2. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

In some homes they are differentiated by the presence of a TV. If it's a family room, entertainment room or media room, it would have a TV, media system and comfy sofas suited for relaxing. In the living room/formal living, that is used to entertain, people will forgo the TV and arrange sofas so that people are looking at each other, to talk, snack, etc. I know Indian families that have their musical instruments there, like the piano, tabla, etc. That family also uses that room for musical practices and dance practice. My family (we're Hindu), always have our Christmas tree set up in the formal living room, since it can be seen from the window. It is also in this room that we put up Golu for Navratri.

I know it seems like extra furniture, but when we have large family parties (3-6 families), this extra space becomes invaluable. The ladies take the formal living and the guys take the entertainment room, or vice versa. Nowadays, since we (the kids) are grown up, we take the formal living and let our parents use the larger room.

blindpup10 likes this.
  3. BhumiBabe

4. blessings1010

blessings1010 Gold IL'ite

5. sanjuruby3

Urban Outfitters is crazily expensive. I can get the idea but do not know how to replicate in cheaper way. My H does not like floor seating at all. He is lazy and it takes little effort and extra microsecs for butt to hit the bed with floor seating and similarly getting up.

BhumiBabe likes this.
  6. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

IKEA is your friend if you have one in your area. They have plenty of daybeds and had some really nice colorful floor cushions in their recent Jassa collection.

BhumiBabe likes this.
  7. BhumiBabe

Yea, but what are the cheaper options? UO has free shipping, so it was comparatively cheaper.

8. Chocolatey

Chocolatey Gold IL'ite

Hi @sanjuruby3.. One alternate idea I can tell you. Don't know how far its feasible for you. But it worked for me. I had a simple sofa cum bed, which after removing all the legs, became a very nice floor seat. Legs were so easy to remove. Actually I used a sofa with one broken leg. With a rug and few matching cushions it looked fabulous.

The sofa which I used was similar to this BALKARP Sleeper sofa, Knisa black - - - IKEA Imagine this sofa without legs on the floor.

9. perfectly_perfect

perfectly_perfect Silver IL'ite

Can you please show me how it like like a floor seat?

10. sanjuruby3

hmm
    may be I can find some second hand sofa and break the legs. I hurts to take off legs for new sofa no matter how cheap it is ( like above IKEA one is 100$) or leave floor seating idea for now.

Furniture is so expensive. Feels like now, living in apartment is so easy.