1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Baby Shower Second Time Not Good?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Meet9, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Meet9

Meet9 Silver IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

I am having a second baby soon, for the first baby we did a grand baby shower..now, I have not heard of doing it second time but I am north indian..but hubby is south indian.....in North, once the "godbharai" has been done, you have a baby it is not done again because your "god" (lap) is already full....second time doing is inauspicious...
    In my ILs family too, my co-sister has not done it second time...why are my in laws doing it for me again..is something fishy?

2. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

I have also not heard of a godbarai function , second time around be it south indian or north indian. Ask your husband to gather from his people what exactly they plan to do and what is the celebration to be like. If it is only a normal function of getting the family together to celebrate arrival of second child, i think there should be no harm in it.

sindmani and Meet9 like this.
  3. vanithaudt

vanithaudt Silver IL'ite

Enjoy the pampering. I am a south indian and its common in south india. It ia not for baby it is primarily to pamper the mom. Enjoy lovely

sindmani likes this.
  4. skyinsc

skyinsc Silver IL'ite

yes .I am from south india and it is common for some families to do "seemantham" for second baby too. I had it and enjoyed the pampering :)

sindmani likes this.
  5. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

I did not have any godhbharai/baby shower in both pregnancies.
    Every thing went fine.

sindmani likes this.
  6. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I am a South Indian and I am not sure if some do it a second time as a full "Seemantham" function. Although we do have 'poomudithal' (tying of flowers) where they make an elaborate feast and brings flowers and the bangles for the mom. It appears as a mini version of the Seemantham, but there is no prohit, no homam, no mandap. Its done as a simple thing at home with close relatives. I had it and all my cousins and SILs had it, and everything has been fine. Just enjoy the pampering.

sindmani likes this.
  7. deepthivinayak1

deepthivinayak1 Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    I am second time pregnant mom. I had baby shower for both pregnancy. First one my mom side did it . Second time, in our side we can do it if we like. My husband likes to do it as we are going to india at that time. So I had both baby shower. I enjoyed the blessing of elders, baby shower food and pampering from all. Who don't like blessing and pampering.

sindmani likes this.