1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Correct Age For Admission In School

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by MehulAtharvMom, Feb 3, 2017.

1. MehulAtharvMom

MehulAtharvMom Gold IL'ite

My son's DOB is 16-10-2013. As per school age criteria for LKG he should be 4+ on 30th Sept 2017. He was falling short only 16 days for LKG so I have taken admission in Nursery only.

Am I now feeling that i am wasting one year on the other hand other thinking he will get loaded for next grade that i have avoided that.

He will be 6+ for class one, i have seen KV age Criteria for class I, min 5 year & max 7 years and same 2 year difference continuing for next grades.

For few days after taking admission paying admission fee, i didn't got sleep thinking whether my decision is correct. I thought instead thinking alone and getting tense, let me take views of my IL friends.

Please give your views my decision : good or bad, right or wrong.

Please share your experiences also.

2. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

OP, Nothing to worry I did the same for our son. He was falling short around 30 days for Kindergarten in US (5yrs). He joined KG around ~6y. He was in first grade when he was close to 7y. We also faced the same question, and we got advice to wait and do like the way we did as it may be beneficial in long run. He is doing good. It also depends on the kid. But it is possible here to try early enrollment. The school will test the kid and if he is ready he can join. We thought we will try this option for our girl as we feel she is ready to try it (only a few days difference to 5yr limit). Girls have more maturity than boys at this age, I think. I don't know much about Indian set up but I think 6+ is good for class one. I joined class 1 when I was 5 yrs old. But now, 6 yr is the minimum age to start grade 1

3. MehulAtharvMom

Thankyou @DDream, for your valuable reply.

4. MehulAtharvMom

Any other IL friend faced the same issue. Please share with me.

5. sweetygal

sweetygal Bronze IL'ite

i too had to face this issue.His bday is in the first week of october. School let him to join. But my two friends were allowed to enroll their kids born in november the next year only...If your decision is disturbing you too much making u worried, U discuss with family friends. consider the merits and demerits and accessibility of good school . Take a decision and stick with it.

6. MehulAtharvMom

Thankyou @sweetygal,

Yes, I have already joined him, paid heavy fees too but frankly speaking little bit disturbed also.

7. ammani

ammani Gold IL'ite

Hello,

Our son is November 2011 born!... i asked few schools (We are in India)... they said... Government has given 2 more months cutoff and so my son is allowed to Join Grade 1! i was totally worried...

few points i used to decide
    - his friend circle in Sr Kg. will be going to 1std...
    - last year was a mess for him... emotionally.. being away from parents and death of his daadi!
    - he is good at whatever he is taught... pickup is good... maths, spellings, phonics basics are in place...
    - we have to change school as he was in playgroup which has only till Sr. Kg.

i would suggest... if it is done.. dont worry about it too much... make yourself believe i did it for my child!

PS: last year it was a difficult decision for me to make... i had to decide if he has to go to higher class or repeat same class in different school at native... though i had to stay away from him i sent him to higher class and it did good for my child.. though i still feel a tiny amount of guilt.. i am making myself believe i did it for good!! Trust me.. it really did good... otherwise i had no way of explaining/make him understand where is daadi and why-where-what about the last rites!! we just told him she has gone to GOD and shines in the sky as STAR!

8. Lavanya30

Lavanya30 Silver IL'ite

hi OP,

I have been undergoing the same confusion, but I did speak to many parents in US, both Indian and Americans, while I have noticed that almost all the American parents feel that the kids are better off when they are little older and we should not take away their child time, studies would eventually fall in place. I have met couple of Indian parents too who have held back their kids for that year's enrollment as they did not want their kid to be one of the youngest one in the class.

I feel you have done the right thing. It's always better when they are a little older

MehulAtharvMom likes this.
  9. sbonigala

sbonigala Platinum IL'ite

A kid being the youngest in the class comes with a lot of issues later on. I have a 5 year old DS who will be grade 1 when he is 6+.
    I spoke to a school principal who gave me a completely new perspective - When the kid is the youngest in the class what happens is in the high school - when the rest of the boys have eligibility to apply for drivers license the youngest will still be waiting.
    when the rest of the boys have started to grow beards and moustache, the youngest will be treated like a kid
    Most of his friends will be 21 while he still wait.
    this affects his self esteem to an extent.
    We might over look it. But it exists and effects the child.
    all this info coming from an experienced principal - was enlightening .
    She said, "Listen, you enrol him, I am the one who will be benfitted with the fees you pay. If I am saying do NOT enrol now, I mean it for a reason. Think it through"

MehulAtharvMom likes this.