Low Lying Placenta And Train Travel.. Advice Pls

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Meenu1991, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Meenu1991

Meenu1991 Bronze IL'ite

Hi everyone

As per my 22nd week scan my placenta lies 2cm away from cervix. I was planning to move to my parents place for delivery at 27th week by train. Its a full night journey for around 8hrs. My doc has asked me to wait till 24th week and decide to travel or not. She is not happy about me travelling. Am really worried. I think my placenta will move another 1cm by 27th so it will be 3cms from cervix. Do you guys think its safe enough to travel?? Pls advise

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

You should take your doctor's advice, not from an online forum.

3. greenchilli

greenchilli Bronze IL'ite

I had low lying placenta.i was advised not to do travel at all.if it's starts bleeding it's life threatening for the mother and baby.i didnt travel.
    Its difficult to stop bleeding once it starts.
    Although I never had any bleeding during pregnancy,i lost lots of blood during delivery due to low lying placenta.Had to do several bottles of blood transfusion.I thank my doctor with all my heart for saving me.Also because I was in the city and my blood group is common they were able to bring blood for transfusion. although we arranged 1 bottle of blood prior to delivery as advised by doctor i needed more than that.
    I told this not to scare you but just so that you will know clearly what you are dealing with.

4. Meenu1991

Meenu1991 Bronze IL'ite

Hi thanks for your info. Yea am planning to travel only if my doc allows.

Any idea how far was your placenta from cervix? Any precautions you followed for low lying placenta?

Mine is still low lying at 6th month and am little worried.

5. greenchilli

It was right over the cervix.it covered the cervix fully at 6th month.for some lucky people it may move .but it didn't move an inch for me.
    Cautions which I took are,
    I only used western toilets never indian type ones.never travelled far nor in train.even to doc appointment we used to travel really slow and careful in car and in pothholes.
    Didnt have s*x after diagnosed with low lying placenta as it will cause bleeding.
    Didn't take bed rest but didn't strain at all ,made sure that I don't put pressure on the cervix area since placenta covered cervix fully and baby is already putting pressure.
    Kept emergency numbers for ambulances of nearby hospitals and personal number of doctor of nearby big hospitals (my doc gave numbers of them ) since once if bleeding starts every minute counts.
    As advised by my doc,since my Dh has same blood group ,he donated blood and stored his blood for transfusion in another hospital which had storage.we paid for that also for one extra bottle of blood.but I needed more than that,which was arranged by doc.

6. mom2nov

mom2nov Senior IL'ite

I had low lying placenta. When it didnt move by 5th month, doctor suggested complete bedrest and to get up only to eat food and for bathroom breaks. Also important thing is to keep a pillow under your feet while on bedrest , kind of elevated position only for lower part of legs\feet. I strictly followed and by 8th month placenta moved up. I was told not to travel until 32nd week because thatz when it is safe of give birth just in case. Even in my 8th month, i travelled by flight cuz we cant plan for emergencies while travelling by overnight train.

2cm is close to cervix and risky. Please follow dr advice.

7. Meenu1991

Meenu1991 Bronze IL'ite

Thanks for the advice. :)
    Am already following most of your tips so lets see if it moves for me.
    Other than the bed rest position do you know of other positions that will not put pressure on cervix. I want to know if i can sit on couch with legs raised up. Will it cause strain on cervix?

8. Meenu1991

Meenu1991 Bronze IL'ite

Hi

My placenta was over the cervix at 4th month and it has moved 2cms at 6th month.
    I haven't tried sleeping with pillows and legs raised. I will do that from today. Otherwise i am also on restricted bed rest.
    My doc has also asked me to travel only when placenta reaches 5cm. Praying for the same.
    When you travelled at 32nd week any idea how far was your placenta?

9. greenchilli

Leg raised up in the sense that u keep legs on the table...or something higher than the couchs seating level?.

10. Meenu1991

Meenu1991 Bronze IL'ite

No i mean the same level as the couch. Will it strain the cervix?