Very Short Cervix, Funneling At 20 Weeks With Cervix Stitch...pls Help

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Daffodil13, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Daffodil13

Daffodil13 Silver IL'ite

Dear All Friends,

Need all your help/advice now. I have checked few posts on Incompetent Cervix already. This post is mainly to get some positive vibes and advice from other ILiets who have faced similar issue and successfully reached full term.

Now currently I am on 21 weeks. 10 days back I had sharp pain in vaginal area hence rushed to hospital. They checked and found that my Cervix length is shortened to 2.2 cms with V-shape funneling. Just 5 days before this, I had routine scan during which it was 3.3 cms and no funneling. With gap of 5 days it went drastically down. I was immediately admitted to hospital and did cervix cerclage. I am on full bed rest all these 10 days with just visits to washroom and to dining for meals. I have another scan scheduled on Mar 13th, where I will be further checked if Cervix stitch is helping me and to what extent. Based on that, they might suggest modified bed rest..Wishing it should go well. To be on bed for 10 days itself mad be crazy enough, I am just wondering what will happen to me if they suggest bed rest till delivery which is minimum another 16 weeks..:sob::tired:. But I just want to meet 36 weeks deadline for my delivery.

Few doubts on bed rest and another precautions to be taken now:
    I am tagging few ILiets here who have crossed this, I am just aware of them based on posts. Other ILiets who have been through same phase, please drop in ur suggestions as well. It will boost up my confidence..
    @Visasri , @Vasumathy ,@Mahalaksh100 ..pls help dearies..

1. I am still facing sharp vaginal pain on and off...but not continuous though. - Is it normal to experience pain even after stitch?? have you faced any sort of this? I am worried if pain is associated with pressure on stitches..

2. I am mostly lying on my back now and keeping my feet little high in inclined position. hope that helps. If i turn to my left or right, pain on vaginal area is increasing. Which is best position to sleep now to avoid pressure on cervix...back/right/left?

3. Does the stitch hold tight for another 16 weeks? I am so scared of thought to pass 16 weeks with growing baby inside and also pressure...Hope i reach 36 weeks atleast. Any precautions to be taken?

4. My doc said, she will give me steroid injections once i reach 28 weeks for baby lung development. she said its too early to start now. and also she has stopped progesterone suppositories which i use to take vaginally and put me on Duphaston. Hope that is sufficient. Somewhere i heard that susten is good to continue in ths stage..have you used any medication, so that i can cross check with my Doc.

5. I saw about Paneer roses. Is it mean Gulkand? Can i get from patanjali store and eat it? will that help.

6. I am facing some vaginal discharge also...hope thats normal...

Pls ladies, send me all suggestions...I am feeling so low now and also so scared on how i can reach 36 weeks with this state...:(

2. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

Op is this your first pregNancy? Any issues while conceiving or carrying pregnancies in past?
    My relative carried pregnancy to 36 weeks with stitch and modified bedrest..she had some progesterone injections as well..and steroids for lung development..sorry I don't know details as I'm not too close to her..

Daffodil13 likes this.
  3. Daffodil13

Daffodil13 Silver IL'ite

Hi Needtobestrong,

No, this is my second pregnancy. First one was pretty smooth till 29th week. 29th week doc observed short cervix and has put a stitch but i didnt experience any pain last time. And also i was not on complete bed rest. I managed another 6-7 weeks and delivered healthy baby at 36 weeks. Infact i was given some injections on weekly basis last time..think it is for lung development.

This time it is pretty bad. Funneling at 20 weeks (too early). After stitch I feel pain a lot and also complete bed rest.
    I am not on any progesterone injections now. Just on Duphaston tablet. so little afraid to carry another 16 weeks like this..

4. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I had cervix shortening by 22 weeks and had cerclage soon for my first pregnancy. O carried the baby till 35 weeks and then delivered. I was not on full bed rest but was less active throughout as it was ivf pregnancy.
    Will little rest you should be OK. But before that get the clearance after your scan.
    All the best.

Daffodil13 likes this.
  5. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

Sorry tO intrude..
    My close friend also has short cervix, need advice for her..
    During NT scan at 13 weeks cervical length as 3 cm, and during Anamoly scan at 20 weeks cervix length was 2.4 cm..
    She was concerned..but doctor said that 2.4 cm is good and stitch not necessary..
    She also has Placenta Previa.., placenta close to cervix but not completely covering..
    But doctors have told her to take it easy, non hectic work , no travel, no intercourse but have not put her on bed rest or suggested any progesterone or any other injectable to support pregnancy..
    From what medical articles I have come across, less than 2.5 seems little risky..
    I want to know if the doctors have given proper advice, or whether stitch was needed?
    Would bedrest help..
    And does the cervix length have to be monitored again in coming weeks..if yes then regular ultrasound or trans vaginal ultrasound..?
    This is her first pregnancy..
    Since I saw the thread I thought of asking for her also..
    Pls reply, so that she can take a second opinion from other doctor if needed?

6. Daffodil13

Daffodil13 Silver IL'ite

Thanks Vasumathy...

Have you experienced any on and ff pain in vaginal area? I am facing this so little worried. And have you been on any medication/injections after stitch to protect it more..? Pls suggest.

7. Daffodil13

Daffodil13 Silver IL'ite

Hi Needtobe strong,

I feel 2.4 is less but it depends on how cervix is becoz few ppl will have strong cervix even though it is short. Mine is so soft, dilated and funneling because of which they immediately put a stitch. If there is no funneling, I think not much to worry. Yes, as it is short better to closely monitor the cervix length in coming weeks through scan. They generally do trans vaginal for it. I feel complete bed rest might not be needed but its always better to take care. Ask her to take as much rest possible. If not working, may be she can opt much time to lie on bed and be easy at home..

I am not exp enough to suggest more. Other ILiets might help more.

8. Visasri

Visasri Platinum IL'ite

@Daffodil13
    sorry for the late reply dear.
    1. Stay strong. Keep saying to yourself, the baby will hold on, no matter what till 40 weeks
    2. Eat panneer roses only. Dont go for gulkhand bought at store, even if it is Patanjali's( I am a fan of them though). If you cant make gulkhand, even 1 raw flower per day helps a lot.
    3. If pain persists, visit doctor. I had pain for 10 days after the stitch. But had food on bed. Didnt even walk to the dinner table for 1 1/2 months.
    4. Yes, it is a phase of depression when you depend on others, but your pregnancy means a lot to you. So, keep speaking to the baby. Just one more month, you can try, walking in the house for tv, and to kitchen to munch a snack for couple of times.
    5. If you believe in god, pray to garbarakshambigai, and Karuvalarcehri amman, and visit them after the delivery with your little one.

Things will go smooth. I had my second baby just 5 months back, and no stitch or bed rest was involved. I was into all household chores with no maid, so, it is your mind that matters. Take rest, and enjoy this. After 4 more months, you will long for this dear. Your little one will never let you get the wink of sleep for major part of the day.

TC

vanicha, Diya789 and Daffodil13 like this.
  9. Daffodil13

Daffodil13 Silver IL'ite

Hi Visasri,

Thanks so much for your response. My pain has subsided a lot now but experiencing sometimes..Tomorrow i have scan appointment so i need to check with them if any issue. Ohh ok. I need to see. I dont have any rose plants so having raw rose is also not possible. I believe a lot in god. With that faith only I am passing days. Lets hope for best.

I am not completely on bed rest. I walk to hall for meals and just steps to balcony in a day. And visits to washroom. Apart from this stick to bed. Hope thats ok.

I need quick suggestion dear. Have you been put on any progesterone injections or tablets till delivery? or any other medication to protect pregnancy after stitch?

Visasri likes this.
  10. Visasri

Visasri Platinum IL'ite

Yes dear
    Doctor asked me to stay on susten 400 2 times a day. But that resulted in ulcer and couldnt take it. so simply left after 15 days.