1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Where is the FRUIT??

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by jothi, Feb 19, 2007.

1. jothi

jothi Senior IL'ite

Hi Friends,

I saw this informative and alarming video on the internet. So many food companies in the market these days claim to have fruit in their product. These products range from cereal, yogurt and juices and many others which say they have added fruit. Take a look at this video link and you will be surprised as I was. MSNBC Video

There is a small ad video for discover card before the real video so pls wait and see..

Lemme know what you all think....

Jothi.

2. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Hi Jothi,

Yes indeed, all these companies do clever marketing of their products. I never buy these cereals that claim to have fruit in them. As the RD in the video advises, check the ingredients before you buy anything. To date the only juices i give my kids are Fresh squeezed OJ or 100% apple juice. Only occasionaly do i buy the Caprisuns etc...
    The same goes for the Fruit roll up etc.. The only ones i buy are from Trader Joes, where it is made with 100% fruit and added pectin. Those are good. The stoney field organic yogurt has real fruit in it( ofcourse it is not enough to meet even one serving but still that one can be trusted).

The main concern is that these products are a high source of sugar, which we really do not need.

Vandhana

3. palak

palak New IL'ite

Hi Jothi, Vandhana,

That's so true! U really have to be so careful while buying any of these products. Though cereals are supposed to make for a healthy breakfast but even here u realise that cornflakes are refined cereal, not healthy. So now I eat muesli and try to create a taste for the same in my toddler. Juices again are actually made from fruit concentrate they have zilch nutrition, unless stated freshily squeezed on the package. Even then the best bet is to make your own juices as experts say that juices lose their nutritive value if kept for too long. In fatc studies say that even fruits, cut up and kept, lose their nutition.
    I guess slowly we are coming round to cooking fresh meals at home as the best option but with work, home and kids, u really need superhuman energy to cook three meals on a daily basis. For me weekends can sometimes get more tiring when my family expects something different and exciting in meals. I guess we all try to manage the best possible that we can.

Any suggestions, tips on managing family meals?

Palak

4. jothi

jothi Senior IL'ite

Hi Palak, Vandhana,

I agree with u ladies. These companies have made their products look very attractive but actually they are very deceiving. They are marketing thier products and trying to attract the kids who eat these and deceiving the parents who think that they actually have fruit in these things.
    I check all the ingredients on the product as a rule of thumb. That is the best way to go. I try to get the required quantity of fruits in my kids by making them attractive and invisible. I make smoothies in the morning for them with yogurt and frozen berries and banana. They love it. Fruit is the only snack that that they take to school.

Palak,
    Preparing Family meals can definitely be very exhausting of course. I try to make it simple trying to cover major food groups like pulses, and veggies . Make it simple as long as they get every food group, they should be fine. I make it a point to have one serving of veggie for dinner and lunch with rice or roti, reducing the amount of rice.
    Will let u know more on family meals...

regards,
    Jothi.

5. palak

palak New IL'ite

Hi Jothi,

U are right about trying to make meals around veggies and pulses. I try to do that too. Sometimes I get bored of the same stuff and then go for pasta and soup or other variations. I have recently bought a rice cooker-cum-steamer so now even for dishes like mixed veg i first steam the veggies and then do a quick stir fry. I really enjoy soups, especially in winters, but my toddler just refuses it. Do let me know if you have any recipes for quick vegetable and fruit juices that can be made at home. I normally make fresh watermelon juice at home in summers.

bye for now,
    Palak