1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Preparing For High School Education In Usa

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by WINMEENA, Mar 2, 2017.

1. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Thank you so much @Laks09 .
    This is vital information.
    Trust @maddysweet and other upcoming middle-schoolers'-parents find this helpful.

Your last paragraph is good heads-up for parents. Yes, it is prevalent and we are going to see more of it.

maddysweet and Laks09 like this.
  2. sabarimathi

sabarimathi Gold IL'ite

I'm surprised that no one has opened a discussion about any of the competitive exams that do count for college admissions. My son is a 7th grader, but I would like to hear about positive impact on the subject. In essence, I'm particularly referring to the Olympiads. For the honours/prologue, please refer here MIT/Cambridge/ Oxford/Ivy league

3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I gathered that all discussion is welcome, but the thread was started off with questions from OP about high school education, not about what to do to get into college. They are kind of related but not the same.

Hope people will share their experiences and knowledge. The above was to address the surprise.

kkrish and justanothergirl like this.
  4. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Hi @sabarimathi
    Not sure why you have to be surprised.

All you had to do is ask.

I am sure someone will provide information that will help you.

justanothergirl likes this.
  5. sabarimathi

sabarimathi Gold IL'ite

Thank you kkrish and rihanna. Let me make it clear, please.
    I will wait for someone who has taken 'The Road Not Taken.' I guess many have taken the traditional path. I would love to hear from also that parent whose child has followed his/her passion and is enjoying his/her life wherever he/she is. Any input from any field- arts, sports is equally welcome.

I guess many have also ignored or have avoided the Olympiads stream. I have read about a good humber of students who have ignored the school system and have followed the competitive streams route and are happy too. A good number of these come back to teach such classes including winter and summer camps that my son attends. Anybody who could relate to this? Any entrants from community colleges as well?

6. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

+1 .

It would be interesting if u could start a thread along those lines. Success (however u might define it) by choosing non-traditional path is a
    huge topic in itself and lies quite outside the scope of this one.
    I am very confused about this..what do u mean by ignoring the school system and following the olympiads? Are u saying kids have dropped out of high school to write olympiads and made a lucrative career for themselves by teaching?

kkrish likes this.
  7. sabarimathi

sabarimathi Gold IL'ite

Quoting the OP since her question is more holistic and not pertaining only to what was discussed so long. There was only one extension in my question - pertaining to college admission, but that was discussed all the while in this thread at least one per page.
    JAG, no offenses but I'll wait for someone who has taken the less travelled path. If I don't that's fine too. Thank you.

8. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Olympiads or olympics? You mean pursuing Sports and ditching academics right?

We thought so too. First of all, it came as a bitter reality that even though your child is an excellent sportsperson and captain of the school team, (s)he still has to turn in homework or face consequences. No free pass for sportspersons. They have to manage both. Miss class, make up and no extra time given for turning in work. You have to turn in with the rest of the class.

Indians are genetically disadvantaged to get into even high school sports teams. Can't beat the Caucasians or the African Americans unless they have amazing talent.
    It is extremely tough to get into HS sports teams. Tryouts are brutal. Coaches are brutal. There is no room for errors or negotiations. Going by how hard it is in HS, I can judge how difficult it must be in college. And yes, colleges don't recruit only based on sports unless the kid is a top of the table player. Any regular sportsmen looking for sports scholarships or sports team entry into college still needs a good grade, good SAT score, volunteer hours and whatever else colleges look for today. They may not need it to be as high as people who are applying with academic credentials but they can't flunk or get all Cs and expect to get admitted.

Reg, community college, yes it is possible. I have a friend who has a son with special needs who went to community college and then transferred credit to our local univ and now has a bachelor's degree. I'm proud of that young man and look up to him for inspiration every day. It took him seven years though. That route is always longer and fraught with difficulties. If possible, it's best to go straight to the state school.

sindmani and sravanitenali like this.
  9. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Laks09, sabarimathi and Shanvy like this.
  10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Rejected By IIT, 'Unschooled' Mumbai Girl Malvika Raj Joshi Gets Through MIT

@sabarimathi is referring to something on these lines.

We have an edge and preference though a very small percentage through Olympiad international rankings, national physics exams,kpvy and inspire though conditions apply (caste reservation and board marks etc)

It is a gamble as far as India is concerned but would like to understand how it works for us and U.K. This thread definitely is teaching me a lot.

Though imo is the tough there are Olympiads for astrophysics and geophysics according to my young man.
    International Science Olympiads
    (Only for reference not authenticity)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017