1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Fasting, Intermittent Fasting, and anything in-between

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by ChennaiExpress, Aug 16, 2015.

1. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

Do any of you fast?

I heard fasting allows repair and reset of the body's natural health.

I would consider fasting.

And I just read about Intermittent fasting where you eat normally 5 days a week, but for 2 days you eat less (instead of one dosa, eat 1/4 dosa), and drink more teas and water.

Have you done this? How has it improved your health? And what to do during menses, is fasting still ok?

I understand if ladies are pregnant and nursing they should not fast .....

2. Vaikuntha

Vaikuntha Platinum IL'ite

I try to once a week. It puts many things in perspective. I eat evening meal only, that day. I drink water and tea.
    Ask your physician if you have concerns.

3. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

I think that's a fantastic idea ..... will try soon .....

4. jazzjazz

jazzjazz Senior IL'ite

I have been doing intermittent fasting for a month now and seeing excellent results.I started on 1 jun 2016 with 89.5 kgs.Today morning my weight is 86.9kgs.I usually fast for 16 hours including sleep time and eat for 8 hours.No exercise also.Want to continue till I reach 70 kgs. I eat my first meal at around 12 pm. No breakfast.Only warm water with lemon and green tea in the mornings.Dinner around 8 pm.Then fast till 12pm next day.First few days felt hungry.Now body got used to it.Lot of benefits for intermittent fasting including decrease in diabetes ,blood pressure etc.By the way,I am a 45 old mother of two with both diabetes and hypertension.

ChennaiExpress likes this.
  5. Aabha82

Aabha82 New IL'ite

jazzjazz thats wonderfull.. Awesome keep it up

6. butu

butu New IL'ite

Hi dear...are you still doing IF

7. Kera

Kera Gold IL'ite

I have mix review of IF. I tried it last year. At first I loved it. It was perfect for lazy me to skip breakfast. I ate around 7-8pm and then I did not eat until 10am or some times lunch. AT first it was great and I felt in control of my body. But after few months when I started tracking my food intake, I realize the day I skipped breakfast I often made poor choose for lunch/dinner. I gave in to temptation vs. when I had breakfast at 8am.

Most days I wake up at 8 am so having breakfast at 10 isn't too much of time difference but I decided having breakfast is more important than intermittent fasting. I cut down my dinner to just yogurt, that is working better for me.

Last 2 weeks I started spending Sunday doing nothing and eating nothing but tea or light meal. Its nice to give body a break

butu likes this.
  8. butu

butu New IL'ite

Thanks for your prompt reply.
    I started IF just three days back. Lost 1 kg (water weight) as of now. I am doing 16:8. One positive thing abt IF is that i don't touch food after 8 pm. I have made my window and so far have eaten only during that window. I am an emotional eater otherwise. On top of that, i give in very easily to sweets and chocolates. My attempt is to try and control by cravings. So far, so good.

9. Kera

Kera Gold IL'ite

I think it is great that you don't eat food after 8pm. My biggest problem with IF was dinner or midnight snack. If I stayed up late, I had to have food. I can delay food in the morning but at night time being home, it was hard. So I didn't always get 16 hr. Keep us updated on how yours go. I am not very good with sticking to a plan for more than 2 weeks. But that is when results are seen

10. jazzjazz

jazzjazz Senior IL'ite

Hi friends,I was doing intermittent fasting on and off.In between I went for vacation for 2 months.The i had a kidney stone surgery.Now resumed fasting since 1 month,Weight down to 84 kgs.I think this is only method which shows good results.