Travelling while pregnant

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by simi, Apr 7, 2005.

1. desiprincess

desiprincess Senior IL'ite

Re: Is it safe to travel in first trimester

Hi Mona,
    I would recommend don't go anywhere, esp. on long trips. Its too hard on the body and the car ride can cause more nausea. Take care... and happy pregnancy

Desi

2. mommytobe

mommytobe New IL'ite

Re: Is it safe to travel in first trimester

I went in my 11th week from San Jose, CA to New York. Flew. total flight time 8 hrs (one way) with one stop. Infact i was mostly walking in NY and sigh seing. It was hectic but i never realized. I had so much fun and for those 3 days my best forever buddy naussea also seemed to have ggone on some vacation.

Ask your dr. and i think you should be fine as long as you feel normal.

3. chittidallas

chittidallas New IL'ite

Looking for travel companion from HYD to DFW.

Hello Friends,
    Actually i am planning to bring my parents to USA for my delivery. I am looking for travel companion for my parents who will be travelling from Hyderabad to Dallas/Fortworth, Texas around 1st week of september. Tickets are not yet booked so dates are flexible to change if i find anyone travelling on same destination.

Please, Please do reply to me if any of you know someone travelling the same destination.

Thanks,
    Chitti.

4. Sri09

Sri09 Senior IL'ite

Re: Looking for travel companion from HYD to DFW.

Hi Chitti,

May be you can check with the travel agency and they definitely will introduce your parents to somebody coming on the same date or they suggest. I did that for one of my relatives.

Sri

5. chittidallas

chittidallas New IL'ite

Re: Looking for travel companion from HYD to DFW.

Hi Sri,
    Thanks for the info. Actually we verified with them, they said that there are many people coming from hyd that day but they did not have info, since they are booked by some other travel agency.... that is the reason they are unable to provide single info...

Anyhow, if you know any body also, please do let me know.

Thank you,
    Chitti.

6. mommytobe

mommytobe New IL'ite

International Travel

Hello Indusladies,

I am planning to go to france and i will be in my 28th week. Is it safe ? I have a healthy pregnancy so far with exceptions of backache and naussea and etc etc...

So finally is it safe ? what precautions should i take ? what month is 28 weeks/29 weeks ? 6th month or 7th month ? I am due on Dec 24th. I am planning to travel from 2nd oct to 6th oct and its 11 hrs direct flight from san francisco to france.

Thanks for your suggestions and advice,
    shweta

Last edited: Sep 15, 2008
  7. Aruneh

Aruneh New IL'ite

Re: International Travel

Hi, :)

Recently i took a flight from India to Australia with no problems. i'm in my 20th week. My doctor knew about this also & said it is safe. Mostly at internet i have read it is totally safe as long as you are having a normal pregnancy. :) Best is to consult with your doctor & take his/her advice on this matter.

Take Care,
    Aruneh

Last edited: Sep 16, 2008
  8. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Hi Shwetha,

I travelled in my 28th week to India (12 hrs flight) but i went for delivery. I assume you're on a vacation. Personally I wouldn't advise that. It can be too much on you... 11 hrs flight, 3 days of roaming around (you've to walk a lot in europe). But check with your doc... they do best your condition.

Latha

9. mommytobe

mommytobe New IL'ite

Thanks Latha and Aruneh,

Latha, did you feel the flight was dangerous. my only concern is any emergency in the flight while its above the ocean.

-shweta

10. KrutikaRao

KrutikaRao Senior IL'ite

Re: Air travel in first trimester

I'm pregnant with my first child and have already heard enuogh rumours and stories about flight travel. But here are a few tips from online:

There are some precautions that a pregnant traveler should consider:
    • Talk to your practitioner before flying. If you are more than 36 weeks pregnant, many airlines will not let you fly for fear that you'll deliver on board.
    • Try to do the majority of your traveling in the second trimester. Not only will you be more comfortable, but in general the risk of miscarriage and preterm labor are lower.
    • Avoid excessive flying. Although there are no hard and fast numbers. The flight attendants with the higher miscarriage rates flew on average 74 hours per month.
    • Make comfort arrangements. Try to get seats with more leg room, plan to walk in the aisles, potty breaks, and water...
    • Avoid travel to countries that would require immunization. Talk to your practitioner for more info on immunizations.
    • Avoid sitting in a cramped position for extended periods of time to help prevent swelling of the legs and blood clots – an occasional complication of pregnancy, due in part, to hormonal changes. Request an aisle seat and spend about 15 minutes each hour walking around the cabin, when airline personnel indicate it is safe to do so.
    Have a safe air travel expecting moms! :)