Solar System Iv – Our Mother Earth

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by kkrish, Feb 4, 2017.

1. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

2. Madhumagie

Madhumagie Silver IL'ite

" Did you know that due to the motions of the Earth, the Sun, and the Milky Way Galaxy, you have moved nearly 60,000 km since you started reading this? …and you thought you were sitting still." :smiley: got goose bumps reading it Ma'am !

kkrish likes this.
  3. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Yes, isn't it amazing!
    Our Earth moves @ 30 km/second around the Sun and it takes 365 days to complete one circle.
    Goes to show how vast a space we cover in one year.

Yes, and this globe, spins at the equator of about 1,670 km/h. As we move up towards the pole the spin rate lessens and at the poles the spin is slowest taking 24 hours for a single spin.

This information is critical when it comes to launching rockets.

4. Caughtinbetween

Caughtinbetween Gold IL'ite

Dear @kkrish ,

hope you are doing well .
    Could not find a better place to post this link . So posting here : Newly discovered nearby planet could support life - CNN

Nearby Star Ross 128’s Planet May Have Conditions for Life

this new discovery i guess is as interesting as finding possible life forms on the surface of mars .
    Would like to know more about it when ever you get a chance . I was reading other solar system related posts from you and your explanation is very simple for common people like me to understand it . Keep it up. Thanks .

PavithraS and Jey like this.
  5. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Hi @Caughtinbetween
    I am doing well, thank you.
    Thanks for this information. Yes, feel free to post any information about space in any of the space threads. More the information, more it reaches others.

Your link was the first time I read about this discovery. I searched other places but there was no other information.
    Many questions rose in my mind as I read it.
    The foremost was the proximity of the planet to its sun.
    Despite the sun being older than ours, I am not sure if that alone can generate life.

I have questions such as: Does the presence of huge planets like Jupiter and Saturn contribute? Size of the planet, axis tilt, rotation speed, magnetic field, and so many more.
    So I am sceptical about possibility of life on this planet also.

We can only wait and see. I am also keeping an eye on more information on TRAPPIST- the multi planet system that was discovered a little earlier. will certainly provide updates when I come across any.
    Thank you very much. This means a lot to me.:worship2:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
    PavithraS likes this.
  6. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame