1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

That One Book..

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by Shanvy, Feb 5, 2017.

1. omsrisai

omsrisai IL Hall of Fame

Another Favorite of mine : The Monk Who Sold his Ferrari.

stayblessed likes this.
  2. Rajeni

Rajeni Moderator Platinum IL'ite

Wonderful thread @Shanvy
    My to-read list grew, as I navigated through this thread.

Coming to mine, it was very difficult to pick just one, I have different favourites in different genres (so would many) but it is.. PONNIYIN SELVAN by Amarar Kalki for me. There are a lot more books, from which I have learnt a lot, which changed my perception towards life, etc., but, nothing compares to the bliss I was in when I was reading PS. My journey as a reader started full-time with PS. It is that one book, which gives me a nostalgic feeling, which floods my memory with so many wonderful things I enjoyed in the book. So, it will be that one book for me!

3. Laxmi

Laxmi Administrator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

@Shanvy
    very interesting thread and it just pulled me into writing about my ONE book.

Am a John Grisham fan and for me The Firm is that ONE book, which details the greed and the values in our upbringing influencing our choice in life. ohhh wish I have a copy of it right now for me to read again...

kkrish, stayblessed, Gauri03 and 2 others like this.
  4. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

The Mahabharata. They say everything in the world is in Mahabharata, everything in Mahabharata is in the world.

But this isn't the only reason for my choice.

As a child, my grandmother used to tell me stories from the epics. I used to sit cross-legged in her kitchen, listening to her tell a story (often from the Mahabharata, but sometimes from the Ramayana or Panchatantra) and gently asking what I had learned from the tale. Many years later, some foods are inextricably tied to these stories and I can't eat them without recalling those days, the warmth of her kitchen and being enveloped in love.

My mother told me many stories — mostly folktales. Unfortunately, I can't find those in a book.

My father, too, was a good narrator. He introduced me to stories from around the world. I remember the day he gave me my copies of Ramayana and Mahabharata — English translations, but he hoped I would some day read the originals. I never did.

Every time I pick up my worn copy of Mahabharata, I'm flooded with pleasant memories and love. So if I'm allowed just one book, Mahabharata it is.

Especially since @kaniths stole my other choice. Grimm's is also one of my top picks. So much nostalgia! And I can find inspiration in its pages every single time.

@Shanvy, thanks for an awesome thread. Every post here is interesting. :thumbsup:

5. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Autobiography of an Yogi.
    Though I raad Complete works of Swami Vivekananda, Tibetian book of the dead, Mystic Musings etc with great interest my mind goes back to Lahiri Mahasaya all the time.

6. rossie

rossie Gold IL'ite

Wow. I never thought I would find anyone who would say 'Exodus'. I started with Leon Uris 'Mila 18'... :)

7. rossie

rossie Gold IL'ite

Mine would be 'Ponniyin Selvan'.. by Amarar 'Kalki' It has romance.. war.. strategy..deceit..morale..art.. I have read it several time.. still if i start reading it.. i can't stop until i finish it.

kkrish, stayblessed and kaniths like this.
  8. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

I still remember how my mother was so proud when I finished that book first time, as that little kid starting to read. This is her most cherished book any day of her lifetime now I think. #Nostalgic :blush:

9. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

I didn't steal! We are mirrors remember? :D

Inspiration, yet you wouldn't doodle! :smilingimp:

Amica likes this.
  10. jennycee

jennycee Senior IL'ite

A particular book may be special to one but not to another. I love reading, I particularly enjoy self-help books, biographies of achievers, adventures, travel...whatever, Indian authors too are good, I like Robin Sharma and Chetan Bhagat and one or two others. My biggest collection is of course cookery books!

stayblessed and Amica like this.