1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Marriage Messes Up Good Friendship?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Rihana, Jan 12, 2017.

1. steve

steve Platinum IL'ite

FYI - It's not as cool as it sounds. Many employees end up taking less leave than they were entitled to before the policy. There is no leave to carry forward or to cash out if one is quitting which is beneficial for the employer. Essentially not taking a writeoff for accrued vacation helps the bottom line, Not having a defined time off causes confusion and stress among employees.

Why Unlimited Vacation May Sound Better Than It Really Is
    The dark side to unlimited vacation policies at agencies - Digiday

Rihana likes this.
  2. riya123

riya123 Gold IL'ite

No I am not claiming it is cool. I am saying it is progressive. It is based on the idea that trust promotes economic benefits.

Your very article link acknowledges that unlimited paid time off is progressive, increases business output and leads to better accounting. When businesses earn more employees earn more. It leads to employee empowerment and in control of their time

Never heard of work and co. or their business feats but many Silicon Valley giants are embracing this trust based progressive approach.

3. steve

steve Platinum IL'ite

yes. because of less time off on aggregate and better accounting (no accrued vacation). obviously.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  4. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

+1
    Friends falling in love...then the families entering the scene and the pre and post wedding drama,the in laws shenanigans .....any friendship that survives the love arranged Indian scene has to be called a great friendship.

Amica and guesshoo like this.
  5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Ok I am going to get a little more serious than I intended to be for this thread. One of the biggest joint venture a man and woman undertake in a marriage is being parents. Here's my theory - next to the shenanigans of parents/in-laws stressing out the marriage/friendship, it is this joint venture of being parents that causes stress. Strange as it might seem. When the parents disagree about any parenting related thing, be it as simple as what activity to put the child in, or something like how much to worry about something the child lacks, it gets elemental. To be patient and cooperate with your child's other parent is not easy. Yes, parenting brings parents closer and all that, but "friendship" does take a toll. Extending that logic -- marriage calls for many such "joint ventures" that usually do not happen between two friends. And hence the stress or chance for messing up a good friendship.

Laks09, Shanvy and guesshoo like this.
  6. riya123

riya123 Gold IL'ite

The whole idea of up limited paid time off was to promote trust between employer and employees. It is not to bait employees into working more hours. So far, there have been mixed outcomes. I bet companies will revert to better vacation policies if unlimited time off is reducing employee trust

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  7. riya123

riya123 Gold IL'ite

Good friendship does not imply not having differences. Good Friendship means being able to get past those differences without straining the relationship.

8. Rihana

Expanding on the above:

I'd think it was obvious that a "trust" based system favors the employer! Very few employees are going to max out vacation year after year. Very few are going to go over the accrued vacation. So remove the fixed number of days per year and make it "trust" based. I am sure they've done their math before starting this venture to gain trust and goodwill of employees. It is easier for employer to say No to an employee's vacation request in a "trust" based system than in a system where it is December and employee says I have to take vacation because I'll lose it otherwise.

9. Rihana

@Shanvy and @guesshoo Liked this post. I am humbled.

And also inspired to start another more hopeful and optimistic thread: Empty Nest Improves Friendship that Marriage Messed Up?

ROFL. :)

10. riya123

riya123 Gold IL'ite

Many companies in America have a use it or lose it vacation policy. This helps because companies don't owe vacation days / pay when they close the books by the end of the year.

What is your reasoning, fewer people will max out vacation?

Even in fixed vacation days, your manager can say no to your vacation request if it conflicts with work deliverables. You work out with your manager and plan vacation even in fixed vacation days policy.

How would unlimited PTO make it easier for employer to say no ?