1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Marriage Messes Up Good Friendship?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Rihana, Jan 12, 2017.

1. coolgal123

coolgal123 Platinum IL'ite

it depends on couples....ours was arranged marriage....we are very good friends....sometimes i feel that there is no marriage between us.apart from being parents of our kids, we are just friends with benefits :flushed:....

Rihana likes this.
  2. dsmenon

dsmenon Gold IL'ite

I do the same - change bulbs, change batteries of the smoke detectors, take the car for service. Clean the snow, mow the lawn etc and my husband does the cooking, cleaning, laundry, do the dishes. In our house we don't have gender stereo typed roles, you know what I mean? getting things done is the priority rather than waiting for husband to do something since he is the man and vice-versa.

Rihana, guesshoo and KashmirFlower like this.
  3. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

It depends. Personally we are still good friends

Amica, justanothergirl and Rihana like this.
  4. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

I think equality is key in any good relationship. True friendship can't exist without it. When the equality continues in marriage, all is well. Unfortunately, this is tested in desi life from the moment shaadi is mentioned. The power struggle between the in-laws often leads to inequality between the spouses, killing the original friendship.

Equality includes the right to choose desired role and relationship and who gets the popcorn. :)

5. Vaikuntha

Vaikuntha Platinum IL'ite

Joined at the hips :)

KashmirFlower, jskls and Rihana like this.
  6. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

That odd "something is missing", or "messed up" kind of feeling without the ability to point to what it is, can happen to married (and even not-so married) people. I have heard that this happens more to women than men. < Nope... don't jump to monthly cycles etc..>. When growing older, kids, in-law relationships, managing the future, all come together, something has to yield, no ? If a well married woman can ask her former good-friend-and-current-hubby what is missing in her life, and he actually contrives an answer to that question, there are two possibilities: 1. Their friendship did not get messed up in marrying each other .... Or... (2) he is really strange.

Rihana likes this.
  7. riya123

riya123 Gold IL'ite

If you ask me, I'd say friendship is an important part of marriage. There needs to be solid friendship between husband and wife for the marriage to thrive. I can't understand how marriages can be meaningful without friendship between spouses. Friendship is what pulls the marriage steady beyond the initial honeymoon phase.

If marriage messes up good friendship then probably there wasn't any good friendship to begin with.

Rihana likes this.
  8. steve

steve Platinum IL'ite

Marriage is an economic partnership as well with shared economic interests let alone exclusive commitments. Friendship is voluntary, selfless and giving and forgiving, IMO.

KashmirFlower and Rihana like this.
  9. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Many interesting responses! Sorry for not responding to each individually.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
    Nonya and steve like this.
  10. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Why would a well married woman ask such a question to husband! Why wouldn't she let sleeping dogs lie?